Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #197
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well, the first time in 35 years, last night at 10:30 in our well lit campground my wife, grandson, and dog heard the door handle shake. Not once but several times. The tv was on and things were well lit inside. I had just gone into a deep sleep. Can't say why she didn't use our emergency code word but things happened so quickly I suppose and she still felt secure behind the locked door. I emerged in seconds with my long friend and immediately began shouting who the H is there and what do you want. Whomever it was scurried away or slinked away. Asking around this AM no one had any issues. I asked the RV parked next to us because I had seen people inside and awake at that time too. The older man said he had heard nothing and was asleep.

This afternoon the older man came knocking and apologized for his daughter having grabbed the wrong door in the night. He had not been aware of it before. I didn't pry further and was grateful for his admission so the wife and grandson will sleep better.

Keeping a cool head and staying inside after the incident was probably the safe and sane thing to do. The intruder had been scared off and that makes things simple.

As long as the uninvited stay on the other side of the lock things are ok. I am very glad the door was locked and they didn't barge in by accident. Again, a cool head would have prevailed but they would have been very surprised at how large a barrel looks from the other side. I know personally from having looked down them a couple of times. At this stage some 20-30 seconds into the issue my family was safe behind me except for the sassy Cocker that had been subject to a dog attack a few weeks earlier at the same park. She was defending the wife then. She was not going to take any crap from anyone.

We can play what if all day with this one and I had considered leaving all of my hardware at home but the wife really wanted me to take something. I am glad I did.

Funny thing. Today there should be two stun gun flashlights arriving by ups to this RV park for us. They would have been extremely effective in protecting our dog and with the siren may have been very effective last night.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM   #198

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
YC1 - will ya post a pic in the what did ya buy thread or here of these new tools. I looked at this online but for $900 can get 3 old fashioned tools.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1317085410.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	37097

flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #199

Thor Owners Club
I ordered the porch light motion detector from amazon which should help surprise anyone walking up announced.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #200
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
I ordered the porch light motion detector from amazon which should help surprise anyone walking up announced.
I have the motion detector light. And we had plenty of noise inside. The person thought they were going inside their fathers RV. Just mistaken and should learn to knock. It was an honest mistake and the older gentleman just left after apologizing again.

http://www.stungunsupply.com/securit...hargeable.html

I have heard one of these when the button is pushed and it is intimidating. Worse if someone comes in contact with the business end.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #201

About 3-4 years ago there were a bunch of illegal aliens that crossed the nearby border and attacked a camp across the road from me on Easter Sunday eve or morning. They stole a pick-up and used it to over turn a TT. As far as I know, no one was injured, but there were shots fired.

After about 8-9 PM, I lock my MH door. I usually know who stays up and who goes to bed and who is still out by the fire. I keep a whistle, $1 air horn and other means withing easy reach. I can turn on the porch light and see out the window who is there. So far, nothing has happened. Just not taking any chances. I may not be bolt-cutter safe, but I make it plain that my sand rail and generator are locked up. It only takes once to ruin a weekend. Be safe and know your capabilities. That tool you have can be turned against you.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:54 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Was overnight parking not allowed at this Walmart because it would not make sense for parking to be allowed based on individual permission and have security check each unit in the middle of the night to see if they asked. You will never know for sure if this guy was actually who he claimed. You were very wise in not opening the door.
I've only had two incidents, one at a Walmart similar to yours; the store manager gave us permission but the info never made it to night security. Instead of arguing and opening the door as he demanded; I just cranked up the coach and drove away. That's why I like a coach when staying overnight in a truck stop or parking lot.

The second time we were eating lunch in our unit when a young boy -12- open the door and jumped up into our coach.. the look on his face when he saw us was pure embarrassment - he thought our coach was his parents - who were in the space next to us in the CG.

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Be safe and know your capabilities. That tool you have can be turned against you.
Another reason I prefer a dog. He knows who he likes and who he doesn't. No worrying about who's going to get a perferotad rear end, me or the other guy.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM   #204

I extended the courtesy at a walmart by calling and was told NO. the next day I went to that walmart and five rv's did an overnight. when I asked to see the manager, his explaination was " you were denied, because you called" HuH?
Old 04-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #205

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I extended the courtesy at a walmart by calling and was told NO. the next day I went to that walmart and five rv's did an overnight. when I asked to see the manager, his explaination was " you were denied, because you called" HuH?
Seems like they do not allow the overnight parking but do not physically enforce it. So perhaps there policy is to say no on the phone but turn a blind eye at night.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #206

Or you talked to someone at the CS desk and they didn't know any better and were to lazy to ask the manager.

The CS desk at the one near me said: "It depends on who the guard it that night."
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #207

Google remote control pepper spray. There is an interesting one online that has a motion sensor with alarm and a remote control. It would stick on the outside of your door. You could remotely spray bears, intruders, etc from inside your coach without even having to open the door! Happy travels

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #208

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Seems like they do not allow the overnight parking but do not physically enforce it. So perhaps there policy is to say no on the phone but turn a blind eye at night.
Sounds like a liability issue. If they say no, you are parked there illegally and they are less likely to be held liable. I suppose it is like tresspassers and property owner's liability. Some states strongly protect property owners and others not so much.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:38 AM   #209

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbletruck View Post
Google remote control pepper spray. There is an interesting one online that has a motion sensor with alarm and a remote control. It would stick on the outside of your door. You could remotely spray bears, intruders, etc from inside your coach without even having to open the door! Happy travels
Just so the breezes don't drift the pepper spray back inside.

JoAnn
Old 04-19-2013, 01:07 AM   #210

Vintage RV Owners Club
sorry I had to come back and check on all of you ..still here ..and still talking ..so..it's all good ,and 6:30 is as late as I can sleep in ..the dog need's her walk ..or I have to clean up after her ..dog win's ......

Tags
door