Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #225
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We need to get back on topic here and cut out the personal attacks. It violates our " be nice " rule.
Thanks
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #226

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by EelKat View Post
Yet, I travel unarmed for multiple reasons.

1) I’m from a religion that is anti-violence, anti-war, anti-weapon, in other words: harm no one and as a gun’s only purpose is to cause harm, owning a gun is a moral no-no
You lost me at point #1.

I respect your point of view, and will take my weapons and defend to the death your right to express it, and your religion's right to exist, but I would respectfully point out that were it not for these weapons, wars, and violence you are so against, you would not have the freedom to express your views so openly. A gun's only purpose is to do harm? I think not.

[moderator edit]

My views are well known to regular iRV2 members, and so I will go no further here, except to say that I hope you find happiness and peace in your life, and to remind you that the freedoms you enjoy came at a price.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #227
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Once again, everyone...let's get back on topic and not turn this into a gun pro/con argument. From the iRV2 Rules:

Discussion of weapons ... that DIRECTLY PERTAIN TO RVing are acceptable but will be closed or removed if they wander off topic or become disruptive.

Thanks, guys.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #228

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So, you get a knock on the door at night:
What you do is turn on an external light and ask what they want via a window.
What you don't do is open the door.
After this point (and you perceive a threat), you do what you believe is necessary to keep from being a victim - prepare to defend yourself both in the present and in court afterward.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #229

I've read a lot of posts on this subject, with a variety of thoughts. I've just installed a CCTV camera outside of the door with a 5 in. monitor. The monitor is viewable from all areas of the RV and I put the system on a switch to keep it low profile. Having a visual of the person outside could prevent problems, nobody wants. The thought I haven't seen mentioned is, "how dangerous is the person inside?" I might want to try something safer to rob
Old 06-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #230

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I do not want to appear flip or cynical, but if you have even the most remote concerns, why on earth would you even consider answering the knock on the door. I know there is the argument that someone might need help or they are warning you about a problem with the coach, but that is a very remote possibility. Just stay in bed and resolve the issues in the morning. If they really do need help they will probably be hollering HELP, rather than knocking on the door as though they need to borrow some sugar.
One other thing. If you have a toad, just hit the alarm button. That should give them notice that you are aware of their presence.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:21 PM   #231

For just a little over $300.00, Sears sells six (6) interior or exterior or both security cameras. You can use your cell phone to view any six of them. Also if you have a laptop computer, you can view anybody on them. As long as you have cell coverage and are a long ways from your TT, you can still activate your cell to view your entire security camera set-up. Mount one by the door as high as you can but have it looking down at the door. With these camera's, you can set them up to take single photographs or to run them as a video. They are weather proof. I have 12 of them to monitor an acre I live on. The inside of the entire home is covered as is the garage, large shop and ALL outside approaches - doors, windows, etc. If my wife and I are out of town for a day or longer, I use my cell or laptop to monitor my entire place. You can put a camera on each side of your TT and it will, depending where you park your vehicle, cover that also.

As a former police officer, you are not allowed to shoot any person unless you can prove that your life was in danger and the stranger had either a gun or other weapon in his hand. Once he "turns" his back on you and walks away, he is no longer considered a threat and you can not hurt/harm him/her in any manner. Always call 911. It may be a long, sleepless night while you are waiting for a police officer to arrive but better to go without sleep than go back to bed and lay their being worried.

Also, this is something I have encountered a few times. While parked in a nice camp ground, the persons next to me would be up at 3 A.M. still drinking and keeping me and others awake. It's best not to go over and ask them to hold the noise down. Get the camp hoist cell phone # shortly after you arrive. Call him and let him handle the problem. At times, it's very hard to try and reason with a drunk person. The next morning, check you pick-up to see if the hitch is still on, no tires have been cut and no part of the vehicle has been scratched. It happens!

Good luck, travel safe.

For the most part, do not trust the locks on any TT door. They can be pried open so fast. That is why I put the strongest dead bolt on my door and I always ask my neighbor if he or she minds if I keep my outside porch light on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin View Post
Not much I can add to the responses so far. Don't just open the door, have phone in one hand ready for 911 call, and in the other, a banned, "not OK to discuss here" item ready to respond to any serious threat.

I have wondered, for those with side-looking cameras in their rigs, can you use them as surveillance when not moving? If so, you could discreetly turn on the right side camera to have a look before doing anything.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #232

Sorry if I sound negative but the last thing you want to do is stay in bed while somebody is knocking or pounding on your door. Their doing that for a reason and I for one will find out the reason "without" having to open the door. IF things get out of hand, I think everybody knows what the sound of jacking a round in a shotgun sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I do not want to appear flip or cynical, but if you have even the most remote concerns, why on earth would you even consider answering the knock on the door. I know there is the argument that someone might need help or they are warning you about a problem with the coach, but that is a very remote possibility. Just stay in bed and resolve the issues in the morning. If they really do need help they will probably be hollering HELP, rather than knocking on the door as though they need to borrow some sugar.
One other thing. If you have a toad, just hit the alarm button. That should give them notice that you are aware of their presence.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #233

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935
Chuck 1935 - thanks for what I think is a good answer. I never feel compelled to open my door at the S&B (day or night) so why should I in the Motorhome. Flash the car alarm if persistent, or not and just Ignore it. If someone is in trouble they can get by without me just like at home. After all, it's the middle of the night. If it's trouble at the door they can take their chances with a unlawful entry. If it's the law - and unless I'm somewhere I shouldn't be - I don't know why they would be night knocking on my door, I guess they could hit the red and blue, siren, and PA if it's really important. Ya never know what might happen - but this is certainly a good start to not being involved in it. Should work about 99.5% of the time.
Steve
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
So, you get a knock on the door at night:
What you do is turn on an external light and ask what they want via a window.
What you don't do is open the door.
After this point (and you perceive a threat), you do what you believe is necessary to keep from being a victim - prepare to defend yourself both in the present and in court afterward.
If the shooting is deemed justified by the responding officer, your chances of going to court are very slim. But I for one would want to go to court just to try and ensure the jerk was found guilty if he lived.

Tis a sad society we live in todays World.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #235

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners04 View Post
Sorry if I sound negative but the last thing you want to do is stay in bed while somebody is knocking or pounding on your door. Their doing that for a reason and I for one will find out the reason "without" having to open the door. IF things get out of hand, I think everybody knows what the sound of jacking a round in a shotgun sounds like.
Just remember the proverb...........
Curiosity Killed The Cat !
Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #236

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
And what if the knock on the door is a tsunami warning? Had exactly that scenario after the big quake in Japan. We were close to sea level on the beach on the Pacific coast. Neighbor was pounding on the door at 5 AM to wake up everyone with an evacuation warning. While we were staggering around trying to figure out what to do and whether this was serious the Fire Trucks arrived and made it VERY clear that this was mandatory. Flashing lights and PA announcements in a small campground are ominous.

We moved a mile inland to high ground and waited it out. Went back later in the day and thanked our neighbor for the warning. The water never did reach the campground, but it did come over the entrance road!
Old 06-25-2013, 01:12 PM   #237

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
And what if the knock on the door is a tsunami warning? Had exactly that scenario after the big quake in Japan. We were close to sea level on the beach on the Pacific coast. Neighbor was pounding on the door at 5 AM to wake up everyone with an evacuation warning. While we were staggering around trying to figure out what to do and whether this was serious the Fire Trucks arrived and made it VERY clear that this was mandatory. Flashing lights and PA announcements in a small campground are ominous.

We moved a mile inland to high ground and waited it out. Went back later in the day and thanked our neighbor for the warning. The water never did reach the campground, but it did come over the entrance road!
OK OK you got me there.
I have a feeling that the lights and sirens and the PA system screaming EVACUATE would have caused a bit of curiosity on my part, especially screaming SUNAMI.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #238

Try Boondockerswelcome.com. You don't know what your missing !

Tags
door