Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #15
Fleetwood Owners Club
Well said and should be heeded by everyone. We very rarely stop in any of these type of places but if we have to we look for well lit, roomy areas with easy exit(s) and preferably law enforcement or security on site (yes, there are rest stops that provide this). Even though our coach is quite narrow inside due to 30" deep slides being retracted we still have room to open our fridge and access our bed. I do not put the slide(s) out and I do not put the jacks down. If I have to I can turn the key and drive out with horn blaring, all lights on full intensity, including docking lights if you've got 'em; 40,000+ pounds in motion has greater kinetic energy than even a 9mm! I'm not interested in confronting anyone or taking any chances, I'm just interested in getting out of there.

Tony & Yolanda / Katie & Spencer (the Doodles)
2011 Fleetwood Revolution 42W (450/1250)
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Diesel) behind
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
Originally Posted by win35p View Post
and you get a knock on the door in the middle of the night - how do you handle that?
We let our security systems handle it.
Here they are, the morning after, bickering over the last remaining bits of the last nite knocker we had.

CURRENTLY MOTORHOMELESS!-Past MHs: 02 Monaco45'Sig,00Monaco43'Sig,99Monaco42'Exec,98Mona co42'Sig,98Newmar38'DSDP(pictured),88FW26'Jamboree .
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you Dave1956 for your advice.

The thing we need to remember is it doesn't only happen when at a Walmart ect. It can happen in campgrounds also. Bad guys go wherever they feel they can make a score.

If I'm staying at a parking lot overnight I wont put out the slides or put down the jacks. I have 2 cans of wasp spray 1 in the bedroom 1 in the living room. Not to open the door and confront them but just in case they get in. I do have other weapons (not a gun) but the spray shoots 25 feet, anything else is close range. So if I can stop them while there still away from anyone then that's better.

If someone knocks and says they are police I will tell them just a moment while I call the local department to confirm it is a REAL officer. If they know that they do not have some one there they will send one.

If I feel I need to I will just drive off. If I cannot confirm that it was not a bad guy then I would move further down the road.

I never slept in a parking lot when I had a TT (that would mean getting out to leave), but now that I have a MH I have done it.

First I try to find a place that has other travelers staying there. I have noticed that most RVers tend to stay near each other. Safety in numbers. Then I will check out the area and also go into the store to check out their clientele. If anything looks odd or makes me uncomfortable I move on down the road.
" A day without camping is....WORK"
2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
well said ZipO. Security was one of our main reasons for trading out of a 33 trailer and into a DP. Wasp spray is a good idea, but foam pepper would be better. Foam hits its target and stays a while, you can see where it is going, and there is usually no collateral damage from wind carrying the product around.

When I had the trailer, I kept an extra remote control to my truck hanging on a hook by my bed so I could set off my alarm system from inside the trailer and in the bed! Noise, lights, etc!!

Lonestarace your security team looks just like the one we use to employ on our farm! Quite effective-some of our freinds did not want to get out of the car unless they were in the kennel! Zuis was 165# and Sampson was about 155#
Dave and Anita
Two empty-nesters
2015 Itasca Sunova 33C
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
As a retired LEO and Game Warden I agree with Dave1956. If you have a MH you have 6 to 15 tons of vehicle and lots of Hp that can overcome any obstacle. While I am trained and mentally prepared I also understand that the odds of using lethal force is way less then being in a accident, having a heart attack, or mauled by a pissed off squirrel Always have a emergancy plan, flash floods, wild fires, storms, running out of beer - always have a plan.
2005 Itasca Meridian 34H w/350 Cat
plus 450 W solar power
2009 Jeep Wrangler
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #20
"mauled by a squirrel"
CorLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #21
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
Crime is rising
In fact violent crime has been going down nationally for the past several years for reasons no one is exactly sure of. As someone else noted already, this sort of thread gets "over-stimulated" by the fear of what could happen; we don't need to raise the situational awareness any higher through the use of unsupported assertions.

If anyone wants to see the crime data for the past several decades you can look here: FBI — Uniform Crime Reports
Sandie & Joel (RVParkReviews admin)
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
Follow us at http://www.facebook.com/WeissTravels.net
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:19 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
My folks visited friends in Texas late one night and the guy answered the door with a shotgun saying "You had better be suitcase company"
Worked for them
1999 Tradewinds 7372 Cat 3126
Albuquerque, NM
Theberrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #23
Ford Super Duty Owner
All of the above is good. I would add, at least in my coach. I can open the passenger side curtain just enough to see the outside mirror. Then turn on the pourch light, keeping the inside lights off I can clearly see anyone at the door. If I am still uneasy I will turn on all outside lights headlights, running lights, service lights etc. I liked the Idea of setting off the alarm on the toad. I have an alarm in the MH with a panic button on the remote. I hate to set it off with me in there, my hearing is bad enough allready.
Hipshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #24
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only happened to me once. I opened the small side window slightly and talked to them. This is also the only time I felt threatened enough to show I was armed. Kind of long and I won't post it here as the mods would probably close the thread.
One of my options was pushing their pickup aside, would have damaged my rig but I wouldn't be trapped either.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #25
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
When I bought my newer BU camera, I got the kit with an extra camera and 60ft of cable. After reading this thread, I will mount it on the side of my rig so I can see who's there. Might even get another for the driver's side.

I guess installing a horn-honking security system would be good to.
I hate to hear them go off, especially in the night, but it could be a good thing sometime.
'94 Bounder 32h. Chevy V-8 44k miles and like new. Tow 4 down '85 Nissan 4x4 Kingcab
Retire in 1yr. 3mo. , but who's counting
mr300ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
All are very good posts, and I think most of us have a plan for that situation. For those who don't I think that this has helped in giving them one. As said, crime is on the rise, just do what you can to be ready in for these situations. I hope no one has to be in one of these situations. Good luck to all.
Bruce & Nancy
FMCA F280542
2004 Bounder 35E
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:20 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Bruce C View Post
As said, crime is on the rise, just do what you can to be ready in for these situations. .
It was said but I believe proven to be untrue.

Originally Posted by docj View Post
In fact violent crime has been going down nationally for the past several years for reasons no one is exactly sure of. As someone else noted already, this sort of thread gets "over-stimulated" by the fear of what could happen; we don't need to raise the situational awareness any higher through the use of unsupported assertions.

If anyone wants to see the crime data for the past several decades you can look here: FBI ó Uniform Crime Reports
Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 05:38 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes more cameras but also another moniter in the bedroom!
Definetly check for cell phone signal before bedtime!
Know what cities and towns your near, basically the crime rate.
Bear spray!! Better than a gun/can't miss.

If someone knocks...ask is this an emergency?
If yes than 911...If no 911 tell them police are on their way and wait (armed with whatever you planned on using) You do have a defense plan don't You? DW and I even carry pepper spray when we're out walking the dogs. Don't wait to arm yourself, no matter where you go. Good pepper spray like the troopers have is only $15.

John and Vicki,2004 Winne Vectra 350 Cummins, 10k lb Blu Ox tow bar , 04 Dodge Ram 1500 4wd toad
cmpncrsaider is offline   Reply With Quote