Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #71

Two sets of train air horns aimed on each side under the coach should get them moving (if not so friendly)

WWW.WhatTheHowell.com
bubbletruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #72

a boondocker could always setup a video surveillance system one all sides of the vehicle even complete with night vision... or a single camera above the entrance way and a small 12 volt monitor mounted (possibly recessed) above the inside of the door.

some bear spray and a stun gun might be handy to have around too I suppose?

paranoia big destroyer

Old 07-31-2012, 07:10 AM   #73

Quote:
some bear spray and a stun gun might be handy to have around too I suppose?
I live in a mining town in northern Calif and the local volunteer fire department did bear control in town . And yes bears have been known to break into homes and MOTOR-HOMES

I keep a can of bear repellent just above the door of my motor home
i also have a 100,000 volt cattle prod hanging next to the door.

Some of the things i have learned from 40 years of dry camping in remote areas.

One is buy a couple Wireless Driveway Alert System

if you dry camp in remote areas, place one covering the road about 150 feet from your RV
Have two so that you can alarm the road in both directions.

I have a small night vision scope for seeing them before they can see me

http://nightvisionmonocularonline.co...5212552190.jpg

Get a red laser pointer and put a 1 foot piece of PVC pipe on the laser end so that the laser shines down the tube this hides the source of the laser unless you aim it at there face.
There is not a bad guy out there that don't understand what the red dot on there chest means.

By using no lights you have the advantage. Ask any veteran that has use night vision in combat.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:56 AM   #74

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I realize this is a boondocking forum, but regarding camping in a CG - I read disparaging remarks in other forums about people who leave their outside porch light on during the night. But, my pint size TT does not have a inside switch for the porch light. So, after reading through this thread, the outside light is staying on. Sorry if that ruins the ambiance.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
That probably would just Pi** the Bear off more if used.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by augoldminer View Post
I live in a mining town in northern Calif and the local volunteer fire department did bear control in town . And yes bears have been known to break into homes and MOTOR-HOMES

I keep a can of bear repellent just above the door of my motor home

Some of the things i have learned from 40 years of dry camping in remote areas.

One is buy a couple Wireless Driveway Alert System

if you dry camp in remote areas, place one covering the road about 150 feet from your RV
Have two so that you can alarm the road in both directions.

I have a small night vision scope for seeing them before they can see me

http://nightvisionmonocularonline.co...5212552190.jpg

Get a red laser pointer and put a 1 foot piece of PVC pipe on the laser end so that the laser shines down the tube this hides the source of the laser unless you aim it at there face.
There is not a bad guy out there that don't understand what the red dot on there chest means.

By using no lights you have the advantage. Ask any veteran that has use night vision in combat.
Whats the point of Boondocking or Camping, if it's like being deployed to Afgahanistan.
I'd sell the RV and build a bunker
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:08 AM   #77

I had a short conversation with an older fella at a rest stop, he asked if we were staying the night, I said yes. He voiced safety concerns and said he'd be too nervous to do it himself.

I pointed out my 30 pound Jack (Parson) Russell and said he was a better security system than almost anything else I could think of. He chuckled.

I showed him how from a sitting position he could leap straight up 6' and take a dog biscuit from my hand. Then reminded him he could run at 35+mph, faster than an Olympic sprinter, and has a bite strength that exceeds a German Sheppard.

I recall years ago reading an article on how the someone asked a bunch of career criminals what the number one fear they had was when robbing a place, hands down the majority said a dog, regardless of size.

There's something about a dog snarling and baring it's teeth that just goes to a person core, I've seen big burly guys who wouldn't shy away from a brawl but got all upset when a relatively small dog threatened them.

There's a reason the Police use dogs, even they say a single dog will do more than a dozen cops in most cases.
Old 08-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I had a short conversation with an older fella at a rest stop, he asked if we were staying the night, I said yes. He voiced safety concerns and said he'd be too nervous to do it himself.

I pointed out my 30 pound Jack (Parson) Russell and said he was a better security system than almost anything else I could think of. He chuckled.

I showed him how from a sitting position he could leap straight up 6' and take a dog biscuit from my hand. Then reminded him he could run at 35+mph, faster than an Olympic sprinter, and has a bite strength that exceeds a German Sheppard.

I recall years ago reading an article on how the someone asked a bunch of career criminals what the number one fear they had was when robbing a place, hands down the majority said a dog, regardless of size.

There's something about a dog snarling and baring it's teeth that just goes to a person core, I've seen big burly guys who wouldn't shy away from a brawl but got all upset when a relatively small dog threatened them.

There's a reason the Police use dogs, even they say a single dog will do more than a dozen cops in most cases.
Well, with two rotties, an 80 lb. mixed Sheppard, and a yappie pug-like rescue, I should be so set, I can sell my arsenal
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #79

Newmar Owners Club
Don't open the door.

Day or night knocks at our door or windows are answered by BUCC THE WONDER DOG-- BUCC is our 160lb pound overly protective Bull Mastiff Pup. Bucc, 9mm, Bear Spray, Bat or tire iron I will do whatever it takes to protect my beautiful DW. Cops keep knocking no matter how big the dogs bark is, be safe and don't go to or open the door. If they claim it's the police call the local station and confirm they have an officer at your door. Be safe and have fun.
Old 08-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #80

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok, I'll jump in again! You really wont need to call the local police station, in fact, you probably wont have or even know that number. Trust me (35 years as a police officer) we will be able to convince you that we are the "real police"!

In public service talks, we recommend, that if folks are being stopped by law enforcement, and they are uncomfortable with stopping on a dark or secluded road, keep driving slowly with your flashers on (aknowledging the officers presence) and look for a well lit public area (grocery store, gas station etc.). If the "real-police" are behind you, there will be several more joining in if you do not stop!! You will probably not be confused.

That said, if you are way out boondocking, or in a large National Park like Big Bend, you should pay close attention as there is rarley "back up" officers, so the one you are dealing with will likely be edgy and demanding. It is not against the law to ask to see official ID, you might seriously upset a younger less experienced officer, but we will get over it. If you know that you are doing anything wrong in your RV, I absolutely agree that you do not open the door, unless you are 100% sure about who is out there. Park Rangers, local sheriffs, and local police will get around to convincing you!!

Regards,

Dave
Dave1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
Well, with two rotties, an 80 lb. mixed Sheppard, and a yappie pug-like rescue, I should be so set, I can sell my arsenal
Yup, and you might need to in order to help with the dog food bill by the looks of it too!
Old 08-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #82

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by win35p View Post
When overnighting while traveling between the relative safety of campgrounds i.e. Walmarts, truck stops and you get a knock on the door in the middle of the night - how do you handle that? It could be a good semaritan telling you of something, a cop or a criminal. We are new to this and wondering what most do!
There have been many good ideas discussed here, but I would have to wonder,considering the massive number of folks who are into RV'ing and the massive number of nights spent in the aforementioned Walmarts, truckstops, etc. exactly how many have actually experienced this situation. I would imagine more folks have been involved in wrecks with their RV's than have experienced midnight door knockers. Yet, folks don't seem too concerned about being in a wreck. While we have not traveled as much as others, we have spent a significant amount of time in areas other than campgrounds and have had no bad experiences.

If such a situation should arise, as Dave said, the adrenaline would be flowing and unless one was very experienced and trained in situations like this, no one really knows how they would react. If you are uncomfortable somewhere, then move on, don't stay there.

So, having checked around the selected site, locked the doors, and secured my insurance policy, I go to sleep without worrying about it. If I found I were in an area in which I had a concern, I would immediately vacate the area for a safer spot.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #83

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy y'all,

NOW I THINK THATZ THE MOST INTELLIGENT POST SO FAR, BUT THE ONE IREALLY LIKED WAS THE ONE ABOUT THE LAZER PEN AND THE CARDBOARD TUBE!!! THAT TOOK SOME COGITATING TO COME UP WITH
SUCH A WONDERFUL INVENTION!!! HEE HEE HEEEE !!!
Old 08-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #84

Tiffin Owners Club
I couldn't have said it any better Sir! I once said almost the same thing you did and got some bitter replies. Park where you can leave in hurry and do so when in doubt of the safety of the situation don't wait move!

Tags
door