Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #99

The wife just bought a product called a "drop cam." it is a remote, wireless camera that sends its picture to your cell phone or laptop whenever motion is detected. We can instantly see when someone approaches, friend or foe. It has low light capabilities, is small, but requires 110V power. Just point it out a window and you will be in good shape identifying who is outside.

Roy

HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #100

Texas Boomers Club
All you need to do is post a sign, (do to the high price of fuel, I will NOT give warning shots!!!). LOL

Old 09-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #101

We are one very paranoid nation thanks to Fox News and the NRA. I have somehow managed to travel around the USA for more than half a century and never had need for a gun or any other weapon. With all the gun nuts walking around I would be more worried about getting shot by accident.

Years ago there was an incident in the Mineral King area where two hunters ran up to a ranger shouting that they had just shot a bear. When the ranger went to investigate he found a pup tent shot full of holes. Luckily there was no one in the tent at the time.

Guns don't kill people only idiots with guns or their spouses.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #102

EHS, I used to think like you, until I was randomly attacked by an MS-13 gang member going through his initiation phase. I won't go into the details, but needless to say, it woke us up from the rose-colored glasses daze we'd been living in. Prior to that event, I felt EXACTLY like you.

Photo for reference only:

I can only hope your half-century without incident is a good predictor of your future events - because if not, you may very well be eating your words.

Times are changing, people are becoming more desperate. If things unravel much more, the thin veil of civility will all but disappear. At that point, fearing an accidental shooting will be the least of your worries.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #103

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=erkme73;1316402]EHS, I used to think like you, until I was randomly attacked by an MS-13 gang member going through his initiation phase. I won't go into the details, but needless to say, it woke us up from the rose-colored glasses daze we'd been living in. Prior to that event, I felt EXACTLY like you.
What kind of campgrounds do you go to ?? I would say total fear has set in and that is sad. The odds of what happened to you are very remote unless you put yourself in harms way.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for me, a knock on the door late at night will get you sore knuckles. I don't care if it's the Cops or Obama, come back in the morning.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:59 PM   #104

This could very quickly turn into a political discussion - which I've already been warned against in the past. So I'll only say that I'm not scared. I'm aware. There is a big difference. If all they do is knock, sobeit. If after getting no answer they proceed to let themselves in, suddenly becoming aware for the first time, at that moment, that the world isn't skittles and unicorns is a little late. Being prepared isn't fear. It's planning.

ETA: My experience wasn't RV related, and was RANDOM (read: unprovoked). We were in a 1 week old car, which suffered considerable damage. According to the arresting Clearwater Police officer, we were lucky to escape with our lives (four of us in one car).
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
What in the world has Fox News and the NRA have to do with the issue. Very strange indeed. Yes, I tend to protect myself should the need arise.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
This whole thread is just fodder for a political discussion. The scenarios or "experiences" that some of the posters here propose are probably far less than 1% chance of happening. You have a better chance of a flat, breakdown, or some other mechanical difficulty. Good sense is the most effective defense against this infinitesimal chance that you may be accosted. Most break ins are done while the victim is not present. No amount of weaponry will prevent that.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 AM   #107

Upon reflection, only a complete madman is going to mess with an RV at night. And such a madman would accost you in a car, on foot or in a restaurant.

As I think about it, if I'm approaching an RV I have no idea what's inside., where it or they are and what they have for defense. It's a completely unknown quantity. If I got inside, I'd have no room to maneuver, and the occupants would have already chosen the "high ground", the best defensive positions. If there is more than one and they are bent upon mischief, they can only come through the door one at a time, and the second guy is going to have to climb over the first.

I think maybe a good response to a knock on the door would be to invite them to put a foot inside. I might suggest they provide very, very positive identification BEFORE they set one foot over the threshold. If they didn't, I'd have to drag them the rest of the way in as I called 9-11.

I feel better for having thought this out. There's no problem.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #108

Texas Boomers Club
I wonder if TX law about home invasion extends to an RV? It goes so
Something like , if someone enters your home with the intent of doing harm and you are in fear of your life, you have the right to use excessive force. this law does include ones truck on the road. I will ask the local PD.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #109

The only way someone is going to get in my RV is if I unlock the dead bolt or they break a window and climb 5' up to get in it. If someone is coming through my window, they will weigh more than they did before they tried.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 AM   #110

Colt AR15 with 3 20 round mags. Ruger LSR 38 special +P with factory lazer sight. These never leave the coach. Both are loaded at all times. They can knock, but they will never even get inside. If somebody is trying to break in I will shoot them right through the door window or wall. Don't care who it is. We both have CC permits good in 33 states. Don't really care to travel in the other 17 liberal states. But when we do the guns come along anyway! Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6!
Old 09-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #111

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
KSCRUDE, I totally agree with you. I have not started to travel yet, but will be prepared. One thread on this forum talked about being aware when you are at the gas pumps. Never thought of that being an issue, but can see it now. People are just desperate and cruel.
goldviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldviper View Post
People are just desperate and cruel.
And opportunists. If you're stopped on the side of the road for whatever reason, you never know who is going to "help" you.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door