Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2012, 07:53 AM   #113

Anyone ever hear of a device that emits large, aggressive barking dog growls and sounds by just pushing a button? Wonder if anyone ever thought of it?? Maybe also the ankle-biter size dogs also. They can be even more intimidating.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #114

Sadie is my burglar alarm. She goes off at noises I can't hear or if someone walks up to my MH.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #115

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes indeed, a lot of weirdos out there. I always lock the door, when I leave if the wife is inside taking a shower. However we stay mostly in Thousand Trails parks or CRA parks. Just a reminder, "Always be aware of your surroundings".
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrow View Post
I wonder if TX law about home invasion extends to an RV? It goes so
Something like , if someone enters your home with the intent of doing harm and you are in fear of your life, you have the right to use excessive force. this law does include ones truck on the road. I will ask the local PD.
Considering TX allows the use of deadly force to protect property (at night only, though), I would say it's very likely.

Florida's "stand your ground" law empowers would-be victims to use deadly force anytime they feel their lives are in danger. So long as the victim is a place (s)he's allowed to be (i.e. not trespassing or committing a crime themselves), the law is in their favor.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #117

I have had two different guys come up to me at fuel stops and ask for money. Both said they were hungry and just wanted to eat. So I gave them both twenty bucks and off they went. I am kind of a sucker that way. But to break into your home or RV, that's a different senario, and if they get in the outcome might not be so good for you. Times are getting bad as that was just this year, in Flagstaff and Vegas where these guys came up to me. But they are everywhere now days. Be careful out there.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #118

What kind of batteries do Sadie's eye use?
Old 09-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #119

There was a woman at Sam's Club begging for money for gas. I didn't fall for it as I've seen her there before. Some people gave her money, but she didn't leave. She just went to other people to begged some more.

I often wonder how much those people at freeway entrance lights make a day. Even if they get $1 per light change, that could be a lot in 8-10 hours and it's tax free.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkme73 View Post
What kind of batteries do Sadie's eye use?
Must be a cordless phone battery. I had one disappear. Tore my shop apart looking and it's gone. Disappeared or she took it.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #121

That's funny... As with other things, it's always easier to blame it on the dog
Old 09-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #122

I shot a BB gun at a paper target in the back yard and she brought BBs into the living room.

Old 09-22-2012, 09:42 AM   #123

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner
There was a woman at Sam's Club begging for money for gas. I didn't fall for it as I've seen her there before. Some people gave her money, but she didn't leave. She just went to other people to begged some more.

I often wonder how much those people at freeway entrance lights make a day. Even if they get $1 per light change, that could be a lot in 8-10 hours and it's tax free.
I use to be the same way, now I offer to buy them a meal or put gas in there car. That cut my donations to all most 0
Old 09-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Colt AR15 with 3 20 round mags. Ruger LSR 38 special +P with factory lazer sight. These never leave the coach. Both are loaded at all times. They can knock, but they will never even get inside. If somebody is trying to break in I will shoot them right through the door window or wall. Don't care who it is. We both have CC permits good in 33 states. Don't really care to travel in the other 17 liberal states. But when we do the guns come along anyway! Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6!
Don't want to start any argument re: gun laws or rights. I finished the concealed weapon class here in AZ (not one of your liberal states) just to learn the laws re: CC. In AZ if you're in a locked RV and shoot someone outside through the wall or window you had better have good criminal and civil attorneys on retainer. Burglary and/or vandalism is not justification for the use of deadly force. If they had fired a weapon or were brandishing a weapon you might eventually be exonerated but not until after you had expended considerable amount of time and resources defending yourself. Not saying it's right but it is what it is
Old 09-22-2012, 10:54 AM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
Don't want to start any argument re: gun laws or rights. I finished the concealed weapon class here in AZ (not one of your liberal states) just to learn the laws re: CC. In AZ if you're in a locked RV and shoot someone outside through the wall or window you had better have good criminal and civil attorneys on retainer. Burglary and/or vandalism is not justification for the use of deadly force. If they had fired a weapon or were brandishing a weapon you might eventually be exonerated but not until after you had expended considerable amount of time and resources defending yourself. Not saying it's right but it is what it is
Laws don't mean much when the media gets involved (i.e. Zimmerman).

In FL, the SYG law explicitly says if the police/DA rule self defense, then the victim is held immune from civil or criminal prosecution - including collateral damage (i.e. missing or over-penetrating the bad guy and striking a bystander).

Further, when a bad guy enters an occupied home, it is no longer considered a burglary - but rather, a home invasion. It, just like a car-jacking, is considered a forceable felony. The law does not distinguish between a bad guy who only wants your TV or jewelry, vs. one who is there to rape and kill you. Thus, a BG who is in your home is seen as a deadly threat - regardless of his intentions.

The law was written with the specific intent to eliminate the hesitation a victim might have when considering the legal implications. If you legitimately fear for your life, and you can articulate it, you should not hesitate. Unfortunately, once the media sensationalizes it, the law takes a back seat to political and public relations pressures.

During our CC class, the instructor said anyone who carries should, nonetheless, have an attorney on retainer.

Here are some interesting snippets from the FL statutes regarding deadly force: Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Quote:
776.032 Immunity from criminal prosecution and civil action for justifiable use of force.—
(1) A person who uses force as permitted in s. 776.012, s. 776.013, or s. 776.031 is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force, unless the person against whom force was used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who was acting in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person was a law enforcement officer. As used in this subsection, the term “criminal prosecution” includes arresting, detaining in custody, and charging or prosecuting the defendant.
(2) A law enforcement agency may use standard procedures for investigating the use of force as described in subsection (1), but the agency may not arrest the person for using force unless it determines that there is probable cause that the force that was used was unlawful.
(3) The court shall award reasonable attorney’s fees, court costs, compensation for loss of income, and all expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant is immune from prosecution as provided in subsection (1).
There are a bunch more related to when you can use deadly force (i.e. when protecting others) at the link above the quote.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:10 PM   #126

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Whew !
Is it just me, but every time I open this thread and the one on Guns, the testosterone seems to drip from my computer.

(don't anyone take this the wrong way, it's only meant to be funny)
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaska trip, door