Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #1

Secure PV cable to fiberglass w/no holes

www.cabletiesandmore.com

I was in search of a vendor that had something to secure my PV cables in place without poking/drilling a hole in my fiberglass roof.

If this operation doesn't have what's needed, I'm interested in who does.

Thanks,
pc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketchange View Post
I was in search of a vendor that had something to secure my PV cables in place without poking/drilling a hole in my fiberglass roof.
pc
pocketchange
If you want them to stay-put cover them with 4" wide Eternabond tape.
Mel
'96 Safari

Old 06-03-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

I use polyurethane adhesive (Sikaflex or similar or whatever is compatible with the roof material)), run a bead along the bottom side of the cable and weigh it down onto the roof until it sets. As long as you don't go silly with the amount of adhesive, it is easy enough to get it loose if required later.

OR you could do what the real expert professional solar installers do - and that is just leave all the cabling loose on the roof. If it starts flapping around, you know you are driving too fast, so slow down a bit and it will stop.

Another way that looks neater is to get some cable ducting and glue that down on to the roof
Old 06-03-2014, 11:16 PM   #4

The EternaBond is some powerful mastic. It's what I used to frame the Global Solar Flexable panels down. I know I'll most likely never have any future issues with the cables but if so, getting the EB removed is not something I would look forward to (but I'll keep it in mind.)

I've been thinking about Gorilla glue but..?

The reason I mentioned the little square mounts is their ease of installation
and that they seem to be easy to keep an eye on along with them being a fairly clean install..

Thank You for the input, pc