Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Ski resort Boondocking

Hey fellow boondockers!

Last season I got into boondocking at ski areas in Utah, Oregon, Washington, and BC. Next year I'm planning on hitting up Colorado, Wyoming, and Montana. Anybody got any good spots that are close to ski areas? Seems like colorado resorts are particularly hostile towards RVs in their parking lots so I'm hoping someone has some leads on spots that are close.

Cheers,

Milhouse
Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #2

A lot of ski areas are starting to have activities at the resorts year round so that could cause some issues, If you get down into New Mexico I know Taos Ski area you can camp there for up to 14 days but you are just in there parking lot dedicated to rv's, no hook ups but a beautiful area.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:53 PM   #3

In Colorado, many ski areas are in National Forests. For example, Vail, Breckenridge, and Keystone are in White River National forest. You can boondock for free, in these national forests. You just need to find the access nearest to the resorts. I-70, exit 190 is one close-ish to Vail. There is a forest service access road at that exit. Just takes some looking around on Google earth or EarthExplorer - https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
swiftmkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

Many 'snow play areas' (sledding, cross country skiing) open them up in summer for parking on the parking lots - especially in the West. You'll just have to do some research on them or pop in when you're in an area.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftmkiii View Post
In Colorado, many ski areas are in National Forests. For example, Vail, Breckenridge, and Keystone are in White River National forest. You can boondock for free, in these national forests. You just need to find the access nearest to the resorts. I-70, exit 190 is one close-ish to Vail. There is a forest service access road at that exit. Just takes some looking around on Google earth or EarthExplorer - https://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/
Thanks for the tip? Would these areas still be open in the winter?
Old 04-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Many 'snow play areas' (sledding, cross country skiing) open them up in summer for parking on the parking lots - especially in the West. You'll just have to do some research on them or pop in when you're in an area.
That's a great idea. I'm planning on winter camping tho. I'll look for sledding/x-country trail heads. That might work for a night or two.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblr View Post
A lot of ski areas are starting to have activities at the resorts year round so that could cause some issues, If you get down into New Mexico I know Taos Ski area you can camp there for up to 14 days but you are just in there parking lot dedicated to rv's, no hook ups but a beautiful area.
It's really too bad more ski areas aren't taking this approach. I spent a chunk of time this winter in the pacific north west were camping is more prevalent. Great vibes at the resorts. Met lots of great friends. Colorado seems to discourage camping so I'll need to be more stealthy. I'd love to get down to Taos too. I've heard good things.
Old 04-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #8

What are you going to do in places like Whitefish or Big Sky MT when it can regularly get down to single digits or lower in the winter ski season? Or are you going to visit them late winter when the days are a bit warmer?
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Have you been to Manning Park, BC.

https://manningpark.com/
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
It's really too bad more ski areas aren't taking this approach. I spent a chunk of time this winter in the pacific north west were camping is more prevalent. Great vibes at the resorts. Met lots of great friends. Colorado seems to discourage camping so I'll need to be more stealthy. I'd love to get down to Taos too. I've heard good things.
Unfortunately, Colorado resorts in Summit County (Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, Vail, Beaver Creek) discourage and in fact do not want you to park at their locations in the winter and summer. Doesn't make sense to me. They must be concerned that folks will start "camping" in the parking lots.
teamnash-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Thanks for the tip? Would these areas still be open in the winter?
As far as I know, they would be open, but they would likely have a couple feet of snow there in winter.
swiftmkiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
What are you going to do in places like Whitefish or Big Sky MT when it can regularly get down to single digits or lower in the winter ski season? Or are you going to visit them late winter when the days are a bit warmer?
Nah! I spent 2 months in that rig last winter. It was regularly in -20 range. I got good heaters and I've added lots of extra insulation, skirting and window covers. I also built a insulated divider for the cockpit/coach. It was actually quite cozy in there.
Old 05-01-2018, 07:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamnash-rv View Post
Unfortunately, Colorado resorts in Summit County (Keystone, Breckenridge, Copper Mtn, Vail, Beaver Creek) discourage and in fact do not want you to park at their locations in the winter and summer. Doesn't make sense to me. They must be concerned that folks will start "camping" in the parking lots.
I'm getting a "money rules" vibe about colorado. It is unfortunate as I find the communities that pop up in the RV lots add a lot of character to a resort. Oh well, I'll find my spots and experience the colorado mountains any way I can!
Old 05-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLOY View Post
Have you been to Manning Park, BC.

https://manningpark.com/
Haven't (yet!). I've been taking advantage of the multi-resort passes as they save me considerable money on day passes. Downside is I have to pass by some great ski areas that aren't on my pass to save money. I'll keep this on my radar. How's the snow usually?

Tags
boondocking