Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:39 PM   #1

Small rigs with big water

Hello all:

I have been full time in my 29' class A with zero slide out for almost 3 years. I love to boondock, and I've been able to get my rig into some very nice spots. But the nature of boondocking areas is that the ones accessible to a class A are also relatively high use. That just doesn't cut it. This has me thinking about trading in the bus for something small and stout, but small and stout seems to mean small tanks. Small tanks mean less time in the wilds. I want something big enough for me and my dog to live in full time but small and stout enough to fulfill my adventure needs. What's a guy to do?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #2

We carry 5 gallon jerry jugs in the basement lockers of our 27ft. We usually carry an extra 20gallons.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #3

Reverse Osmosis perhaps?

Can you say Reverse Osmosis ?

Happy motoring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	earthroamer.png
Views:	203
Size:	787.0 KB
ID:	131878  
MtnTrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Outdoors RV. My dog and I live in an ORV 19B Black Rock. 60 gallon fresh water tank, 40 gallon each sewage tanks. I can go for weeks if I capture some of my grey water in the kitchen sink and pour it outside instead of it going in the tank, and bathe with as little water as I can. I need to bring some fresh water back every now and then, but I once parked for more than a month before I needed to dump.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Outdoors RV. My dog and I live in an ORV 19B Black Rock. 60 gallon fresh water tank, 40 gallon each sewage tanks. I can go for weeks if I capture some of my grey water in the kitchen sink and pour it outside instead of it going in the tank, and bathe with as little water as I can. I need to bring some fresh water back every now and then, but I once parked for more than a month before I needed to dump.
Hey thanks! I had been looking into Nash and Arctic Fox, but I was unaware of ORV. The Black Rock 19B is surprisingly inexpensive. Is it living up to the claims that it can be dragged for many miles down washboard or two track without falling apart? It seems like a major difference between the Black Rock and the more expensive models is the suspension. Did you upgrade your suspension? Is stock adaquate? What kind of use have you put it through?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've not dragged it down much washboard, unless you consider southern California freeways to be that bad.

I am very happy with it. It has held up well to what use I have put it to, and I have driven it from WA down through CA, then over to Gulf Coast TX and then pretty much the same route back. I have not made any upgrades to the suspension, and it does not come with shock absorbers. I haven't even done anything to the tires except add metal valve stems and TPMS.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I've not dragged it down much washboard, unless you consider southern California freeways to be that bad.

I am very happy with it. It has held up well to what use I have put it to, and I have driven it from WA down through CA, then over to Gulf Coast TX and then pretty much the same route back. I have not made any upgrades to the suspension, and it does not come with shock absorbers. I haven't even done anything to the tires except add metal valve stems and TPMS.
The 5 through the central valley is pretty beat to hell by the semis...but not quite washboard. I'm also from So Cal, but I'm always on the road except for Christmas time. Thanks for the input. I think I'll have a look at the smallest Creekside considering the extra beating I intend to dish out in Alaska and Baja.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:46 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We have two Aerolite tt's ( 24' & 26') both had 47 and now 53 fresh. We have been out 5 weeks now on our trip to Alaska. Even the small 18' Aerolite and Kodike tt's have large fresh for their size. With our trip up from Ohio we went 5-7 days between services.

On our trip to AK back about 4 weeks ago in Montana we stopped at a Arctic Fox dealer. Spent 2-3 hours there. Yes, they are built solid, but are very heavy. Not sure the price $$$ justified what you get. 3 times more than our Aerolite cost us for about the same size RV. I believe they had 57 gallon fresh. The model we liked had two 35 gallon gray.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:55 PM   #9

If there is any way you can go to the ORV factory and take a tour, I think you will find it worth your time and effort. Their trailers are a bit heavier than other brands but it is because they are built strong for back road use. The amount of thinking that went into these rigs is impressive. They are not trying to compete with every other brand out there and have the cheapest, lightest trailer. They see their niche in the marketplace as the people who build a trailer that can take washboard roads, have bigger tanks, and better cold weather capabilities. We have been impressed so far with our Creek Side. Ask me this winter after a fall filled with rough country hunting trips. By the way ours has 70 gal. water tank, 10 gal. water heater and 40 gallon black and grey tanks.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
If there is any way you can go to the ORV factory and take a tour, I think you will find it worth your time and effort. Their trailers are a bit heavier than other brands but it is because they are built strong for back road use. The amount of thinking that went into these rigs is impressive. They are not trying to compete with every other brand out there and have the cheapest, lightest trailer. They see their niche in the marketplace as the people who build a trailer that can take washboard roads, have bigger tanks, and better cold weather capabilities. We have been impressed so far with our Creek Side. Ask me this winter after a fall filled with rough country hunting trips. By the way ours has 70 gal. water tank, 10 gal. water heater and 40 gallon black and grey tanks.
I've been doing a lot of online research on the creek side, and so far I'm very impressed. The prices seem really good when compared to similar brands like Arctic Fox. I'm planning to be in the north west this fall, so I'll probably swing by the factory and have a look. Travel trailers suitable to fulltime and off pavement use are few and far between. To find an affordable trailer in that catagory with big tanks is almost like finding bigfoot.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Can you say Reverse Osmosis ?

Happy motoring.
I like that idea. I suppose that a couple hundred dollar system from a hydroponics shop, two lengths of tubing, and a pond pump from home depot would do the trick.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HR4ME View Post
I've been doing a lot of online research on the creek side, and so far I'm very impressed. The prices seem really good when compared to similar brands like Arctic Fox. I'm planning to be in the north west this fall, so I'll probably swing by the factory and have a look. Travel trailers suitable to fulltime and off pavement use are few and far between. To find an affordable trailer in that catagory with big tanks is almost like finding bigfoot.
I asked a lot of folks on hunting forums what trailer they would buy and almost everyone said ORV or a Northwoods product (Arctic fox or Nash). I also thought the price of the Creek Side line was very reasonable for what you get. Once I toured the factory and met with the people who are tasked with producing the actual trailers I was even more impressed. Really good folks who are trying hard to build a better product for people who use their trailers for hunting and boondocking.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have a ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS. Eighty gallon fresh (plus another 10 in the hot water heater), two forty gallon gray water tanks, and a 40 gallon black tank. Two people can stay a week without concentrating on conservation much - showers every day, washing dishes, etc.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #14

80 gal fresh, 10gal hot water tank, two 40 gal grey and a 40gal black tank in my Creekside 27bhs. Just those numbers alone was enough to attract me to ORV products. Dual pane windows, R30 in the floor and ceiling each. Built like a brick.

Tags
water