Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:43 AM   #1

"Smart Sensor" water pump?

I searched but didn't get any results...

Has anyone tried one of these Shurflo micro-processor controlled variable speed pumps that isn't supposed to pulse?

If so, how do you like it?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #2

i.ve had one for 3 years, works fine

Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 PM   #3

i,ve had one for 3 years, works fine
Old 03-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #4

They work great when they work. The original ones seem to last a long time, but they have had many problems with the newer ones. The good news is that Surflo stands behind their 3 year warranty. Just be sure to carry a backup pump.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #5

After I posted this, I got more results from this site from Google. It seems they had a rough period or something.

Aqyahet ES variable speed would be the competitor? Thoughts on that?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:33 PM   #6

When I ordered my 5 er in early 06 New Horizons told me they were not any good and so I have the conventional one that has served me well with no problems. Last year I bought a duplicate just to be prepared. I am an old boy scout.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #7

Mine is the origional, it is loud, rattles, and the bracket is cracked. I took off the Accumulator because it kept freezing up and have no problems with line hammer.
I want to put in a new pump with more pressure and variable speed or sensor capabilities and no accumulator needed, but I just cannot make myself replace the old one till it craters completely.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:35 PM   #8

My original equipment is a conventional sure flow that has been reliable, but is noisy. Some seem to be louder than others.

Anyway, my thought was to replace it while it is in good running condition, and keep it as a spare.

After dinking around on Google, it seems there were problems with the smart sensor, but most of those posts were several years old.

I'm hoping they got the kinks out?
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #9

I can't tell you all of the problems I've seen without the risk of getting sued, but you don't want one. Add a 2 gallon surge tank to a regular pump if you want something reliable. That is what we have in our rig. If you have noise problems, work on isolating the pump & accumulator tank with flexible lines and rubber mounts.
HandyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyBob View Post
I can't tell you all of the problems I've seen without the risk of getting sued, but you don't want one. Add a 2 gallon surge tank to a regular pump if you want something reliable. That is what we have in our rig. If you have noise problems, work on isolating the pump & accumulator tank with flexible lines and rubber mounts.
Is the aquajet variable speed one any better?
Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
Is the aquajet variable speed one any better?
I don't know, but new technology is not always better. I like things that are proven to work.

Some idiot at Shurflow actually told me that their control does not work on solar charged systems when I complained about one that I had installed in a cabin and another in a good friend's motor home. Both would shut off when turned down to a low flow, like when showering and trying to save water, and then not come back on. I asked "Do you mean that you can't design a circuit that will work with PWM charging? THAT IS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD! You have to know that RV manufacturers are installing them in rigs with solar panels on the roof. Maybe you should tell them."

I hung up on him. I was mad and justifiably so. I wrote a nasty report to put on my blog and then thought better of it. I saw another one in a brand new fifth wheel this winter that would not keep running unless the pressure was turned up high enough to blow by the gaskets in the connections.
HandyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 AM   #12

The last thing I need to do is to dispute HandyBob, who I respect immensely.
However, I’ve had the Sureflow VS pump for three seasons and it works fine and as advertised. It is nice to have in only come on a little, esp in the middle of the night.
That said I also have a second, brand new, Sureflow SV pump in my trailer as backup. My conclusion has been that few RV pumps are very well designed or made and that an astounding number end up being replace under warranty or other within the first two years.

Sureflow pumps are terrific - when they work, but when they don’t get a new one – by hook or by crook.

So I guess maybe, although mine works today, I am agreeing with HandyBob! But then I did a lot of Googling and didn't find any brand any better as far as customer reports were concerned.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinTD View Post
I searched but didn't get any results...

Has anyone tried one of these Shurflo micro-processor controlled variable speed pumps that isn't supposed to pulse?

If so, how do you like it?

Try this website: Jabsco 31750-0000 Sensor Max

We have this pump in our coach and it works great..

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't waste your money on the Shur-Flo smart sensor pump. Been there, done that, and it has not been a good experience. I'm not going to repeat it all here, but you can read my comments in post #3 in this thread:

Looking for some water pump advice.

JP

Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote