Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Wal*Mart has several types of stores. The "Neighborhood" Wal*Marts are smaller, with smaller parking lots and limited hours.. Many of these do not have enough room to park an RV (or semi truck) Overnight.. Larger stores, company policy allows it.

HOWEVER... Many cities, counties or states, have been lobbied by the Campground Owner's Association, They see a RV parked in a Wal*Mart overnight as a loss of income.. So they go to the government and tell lies and half truths to get them to pass a law prohibiting overnighting at a Wal*Mart, Flying-J or other common overnight place.

So please. Unless you do the research do not blame Wal*mart, Rather blame Camping World, Good Sam's. Woodalls, and so on, WHY, Well those are Affinity group companies, and Affinity group also owns campgrounds and is a member of the Campground Owner's Assn in many of the areas where they have successfully lobbied for restrictive laws.
Yes, i am aware of Neighborhood Markets. I could probably use those too though if I had to. I use 1-2 spaces, not a dozen like this:

This is how I look parked in a crowd:

A good size comparison pic. In the very back is a Class A. In front of that is a 5th wheel. Then you see my little van:

I actually (barely) fit into a parallel parking space in El Paso downtown. I almost thought I was going to have to pay for 2 meters or something, but there was ample parking that day and I had no problems paying fitting into a single spot and paying for 1 meter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I've never taken the time to ask. Most will post signs along the perimeter if it's not allowed. We always hop in the store for something while there just to say thanks.

We went to one in Alabama during the day to pick up a new coffee maker and it was clearly posted. The Lowe's in the same lot had 11 foot tall yellow barriers installed around every entrance. I guess because people were heading over there when told not to park at the Wal-Mart.
Seeing as how my clearance is around 9ft, That wouldn't be a problem for me. But if it clearly states no overnight parking, I wouldn't do it unless it was a downright emergency I can't help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:39 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog folks View Post
well cubey, i certainly do not want to argue about it. It is you that will suffer the consequences.

It just seemed to me, and i could be wrong, you were bragging about it and advocating "stealth" camping.
very much so!!!

Old 01-04-2014, 02:46 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chow5656 View Post
very much so!!!
Not really. I just find that in my case, it's not as much of a concern as I thought. I didn't even check Allstays when I got to El Paso. I was too sick to think about it. I parked and slept day and night mostly for days at that first one I stayed at for 3 nights. Turns out they're all listed as "no parking" yet I spent a total of 6 nights in WM parking lots around El Paso and had no one bother me.

They all had security driving around the parking lots. They just didn't care.

I'm not saying to do one thing or another. Your results may vary in El Paso. I'm just telling my experience in the matter.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Old 01-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
No one made you click the thread and read it...
Old 01-04-2014, 03:36 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The police have every right to ticket or arrest someone at Walmart. Any place that is "open to the public", even if privately owned falls under the same laws as public property.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM   #21

I too own a Pleasure Way Class B and because of its length I park in lots of places I couldn't in my Class A and Toad for overnighting. We start off every afternoon looking free and then go from there. We spent 10 weeks traveling from So Cal to Alaska/Canada this past summer and only paid to stay 2 weeks of that. Everyone has their own way of overnighting and we do too ! I've never been asked to leave or got a warning or a ticket and I never ask anybody. I'm prepared to move on if I'm asked , it's no big deal but it's never happened.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdogKing View Post
I too own a Pleasure Way Class B and because of its length I park in lots of places I couldn't in my Class A and Toad for overnighting. We start off every afternoon looking free and then go from there. We spent 10 weeks traveling from So Cal to Alaska/Canada this past summer and only paid to stay 2 weeks of that. Everyone has their own way of overnighting and we do too ! I've never been asked to leave or got a warning or a ticket and I never ask anybody. I'm prepared to move on if I'm asked , it's no big deal but it's never happened.
It just depends how you go about things.

I think running a generator should always be a no-no unless you are in a very remote place. The big Class A's seem to always have their stupid generator going in Wal-Mart parking lots.

I have the loudest generator out there (Onan AJ 2.7kw), but I never run it. It's too loud. If I was in the desert with the nearest other RV 500ft away, then I might run it if I needed to. But in a city? Heck no! I'd get a ticket just for disturbing the peace!

I get by fine with what my one cheap marine battery can provide after dark and my solar panels can provide during the day. I don't have much I have to run either, which I like. Less is better when you're full timing on the road. Less to have go wrong, less power needed for everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoon View Post
The police have every right to ticket or arrest someone at Walmart. Any place that is "open to the public", even if privately owned falls under the same laws as public property.
In theory, yes. But in reality, they don't unless you're downright defiant of posted signs saying not to do something, or you get rude and argumentative with them... or breaking laws like public drunkenness. They REALLY don't like to be bothered with trivial things like overnight parking unless it's a major problem.

I think it's fair to say most the hassle people get is parking on public roads and in public parking lots. Or being ratted out by managers of stores.. or citizens sticking their noses where it doesn't belong.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Must be a slow day in the WalMart parking lot!
Old 01-04-2014, 04:33 PM   #24

I wouldn't know, I m in an RV park right now and have been for almost 2 months. Leaving in about 6 days though.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #25

When I asked at my local WM, the clerk said: "It depends on which security guard is on duty that night."
Old 01-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spartan Chassis
I'm in an RV park in FL now, but on the way down, we stopped in a WM in Marianna, FL. I went in and asked permission from the manager and she said that she wasn't allowed to say yes or no. She added that she was only allowed to say "keep the area clean", and smiled. I didn't see any signs in the lot saying there was any kind of local ordinance against overnighting either. There were a couple of other RVs and a semi there as well. We stayed there without anyone bothering us.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
98% of the time....Wal-marts for over night. Never have went in and asked, and never been asked to move along in one with "no over night parking" signs.......just pulled in with the rest of them and went to bed.....

Usually spend a lot of money with them after morning coffee.....
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get arrested.... That's a hoot. Someone has an overactive imagination. I can just see it now three cop cars surrounding an RV with lights flashing dragging a guy out in his pajamas while his kids are crying and screaming "don't take my daddy away!"

Some people are either stupid or just dumb.