Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2014, 07:49 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
Get arrested.... That's a hoot. Someone has an overactive imagination. I can just see it now three cop cars surrounding an RV with lights flashing dragging a guy out in his pajamas while his kids are crying and screaming "don't take my daddy away!"

Some people are either stupid or just dumb.
To say the least.....

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #30
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I want to say, that I have no problem whatever, with Walmart overnights. My previous post was simply pointing out that an earlier response is incorrect regarding private property. Places like Walmart, malls, church lots, etc., are considered "public places" under the law, as they are open to the public. Therefore, the police have authority there. I fully realize law enforcement has a lot more important things to deal with. That being said, there are two communities in our surrounding areas with municipal policies forbidding overnight parking, and the local PD has been known to ask people to leave. I suspect if there was ever an arrest it would be for a totally different reason.

Neil, Lin, and our furry companions, Ashby and Cody. 06 National Surf Side.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:09 AM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
As far as I have been told, No Overnight Parking at certain Walmarts is due to city or county ordinances in that location. If that is the case then it would be the local police or sheriff who would come knocking.
thank you cubey for starting this thread.
i always ask for permission and where to park.
i use the allstays website extensively. it is kept up to date by users. i have been told to email or call walmart head quarters with specific info as to dates and personnel involved and they would educate management at problem stores. i have not found it necessary to do this yet.
i have found that other stores in the same area often allow overnight parking.

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 AM   #32
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your not allowed to spend the night, they would most likely just ask you to leave and that is the end of it.

You could be issued a parking ticket if the local law enforcement gets involved and have to pay a fine. If they give you a ticket, might as well spend the night, you already got a ticket. The average cop has more important things to do than messing with RV in a Walmart parking lot.

Since it is private property, there could be other rules that are in play here too. Walmart might have to lodge a complaint first. Rather than do that, they would most likely just ask you to leave first.

I seriously doubt that they would try to tow you out of the parking lot or arrest you.
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 129K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, KVH R5 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
Old 01-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #33
Winnebago Owners Club
just fyi there is a yahoo group called Walmart Rving. As far as I can tell this is the only topic of the group. They have been around quite a number of years and have produced a nationwide listing of all WMs and the overnight policy for each. Of course there is also discussion as well including any changes in the list. I have found it interesting and useful. And oh BTW we've stayed in our class A and toad several times in a WM lot with no problems. To not abuse their hospitality we only stay one night and don't put your levelers down because it might damage their asphalt.
Jerry and Linda, retired since June 2013
2013 Itasca Sunova 35G with 2011 GMC Terrain toad
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy and TailGater for TV
Old 01-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #34

It's not just ordinance but safety factor. I know for a fact that even though overnighting is allowed at a Walmart and and Sam's about 15 miles from our house both the managers and police warn RV'ers of the dangers of parking there. From the looks of the neighborhood it would appear to be fine but that is far from the truth. My husband always asks permission and if the manager say's no we just move on down the road no questions asked except maybe where is the next closest Walmart in the direction we are going.

As far as the use of generators ... Although we use ours minimally to make tea, coffee or use the microwave we don't expect that when we pull into a rest stop or Walmart that it is going to be peaceful. If you want peace and quite open up your wallet and go to a campground where they have quiet hours. If you want a free night... Deal With It!
Brian and Kim VanBuskirk
2008 Damon Tuscany 40 DP
Tow: 20" Trailer with Classic C3 Corvettes
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 AM   #35
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Its better to beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission!

Quote bygeorge

Your absolutly right. I dont ask anybody anything.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:49 PM   #36
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have stayed a quite a number of walmarts and have always asked permission. It only takes a moment and allows management that you are there. Of course, we always pick a few things up there in the morning before we depart.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:24 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Kids screaming...don't take my Daddy!

Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Its better to beg for forgiveness rather than ask permission!

Quote bygeorge
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
Your absolutly right. I dont ask anybody anything.
I sure hope if and when I meet you guy's behind the bars you are not offended by my "Scooby Doo" PJ's.........
2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
Old 01-09-2014, 04:47 PM   #38

Like others we have stayed in many Walmarts - two examples: We asked at the Walmart in Casa Grande AZ and the lady said "Oh, we don't care but the police will give you a very nasty ticket" so we passed on that one. We stopped at a Walmart on the west side of El Paso and before we got out the security guy pulled up and said if we were going to overnight we should move to another area parking at the same store where it would be safer after dark. We were only picking a few items so we didn't move. Personally, I think it best to ask.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
Old 01-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #39
Newmar Owners Club
I have been camping in Walmarts since 1986 never had any problems. I never ask permission I generally buy my grocerys and shop while im their, I have ask the security guards if there is a good place in lot to stay. They were always nice and helpful. I appreciate Walmart and I think they appreciate the rvers.
Dale and Rita
2002 Newmar Dutch Star 4095, tow car 2008 Buick Enclave CLX
Old 01-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #40
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I've never taken the time to ask. Most will post signs along the perimeter if it's not allowed. We always hop in the store for something while there just to say thanks.
When you go in and ask (and you really should) they might tell you where to park so it's quieter or out of the way of the night cleanup crew. So, yes, it's a good idea to ask.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #41
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I go with "don't ask, don't tell", I agree, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for a managers' graces and make him feel he is taking responsibility for me by telling me I can sleep in the parking lot.
Do some people actually go to customer service and request a manager just to ask him if you can overnight in the parking lot? Does'nt he have other things to do? What if there were 15 RVs and 5 big rigs there already, don't you think the manager would get tired of people bothering him to ask if they can stay over night? If the sign says 'no overnight parking', what are you going to do, tell the cop the manager said he'd take responsibility for you breaking the law?
I always try to draw as little attention to me as possible when staying at WM so why would I want to bother the manager?
It really tickles me when people say they always buy some thing at WM when they sleep there; as if WM really needs that 1% profit they make on the sale and people who don't spend the night have to pay just as much for some thing as we do.
Just clean up after yourself and don't flaunt that "I'm camping here" and maybe we'll all have a good thing for awhile longer.
'05 Damon Daybreak, 3270 on '04 P-32 Workhorse
Parker, Colorado
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #42
Tiffin Owners Club
Like many other things, some folks like to "follow the rules" and others don't.

I don't feel I owe WalMart anything, but if they determine they want to allow rv'ers to park overnight, except for those stores within cities that don't allow it, and indicate I should get a manager's permission, them I'm going to ask.

My hope, of course, is that WalMart will continue allowing rv'ers to park overnight. I guess if non-rules-followers rankle the WalMart corporate generosity and it all goes away . . . well, we just get on with life.

Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
Closed Thread