Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #43

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
Like many other things, some folks like to "follow the rules" and others don't.

I don't feel I owe WalMart anything, but if they determine they want to allow rv'ers to park overnight, except for those stores within cities that don't allow it, and indicate I should get a manager's permission, them I'm going to ask.
That is interesting, but may I ask, who is following the rules and who is not? Also you say someone indicated I should get a managers permission.
Can you tell me who said that ; or better yet can you post a link to these rules? I have never heard of that but if it is a legitimate rule of Wal Mart, I'll go in and ask for the managers permission.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
I go with "don't ask, don't tell", I agree, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than ask for a managers' graces and make him feel he is taking responsibility for me by telling me I can sleep in the parking lot.
Do some people actually go to customer service and request a manager just to ask him if you can overnight in the parking lot? Does'nt he have other things to do? What if there were 15 RVs and 5 big rigs there already, don't you think the manager would get tired of people bothering him to ask if they can stay over night? If the sign says 'no overnight parking', what are you going to do, tell the cop the manager said he'd take responsibility for you breaking the law?
I always try to draw as little attention to me as possible when staying at WM so why would I want to bother the manager?
It really tickles me when people say they always buy some thing at WM when they sleep there; as if WM really needs that 1% profit they make on the sale and people who don't spend the night have to pay just as much for some thing as we do.
Just clean up after yourself and don't flaunt that "I'm camping here" and maybe we'll all have a good thing for awhile longer.

It's called common courtesy. If there are others on the lot we typically don't ask permission however we always make it a point to stop at customer service and say thank you. As far as Walmart benefiting from their generosity.... you can bet your bottom dollar that they do or they wouldn't be so inviting. It may only be me but I feel that it is a common courtesy to reciprocate someones generosity.

Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 PM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
That is interesting, but may I ask, who is following the rules and who is not? Also you say someone indicated I should get a managers permission.
Can you tell me who said that ; or better yet can you post a link to these rules? I have never heard of that but if it is a legitimate rule of Wal Mart, I'll go in and ask for the managers permission.
Here you go, start asking:

It says . . .
Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	53590  
Old 01-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well thanks for posting that, I've never seen it before. I wonder why they don't have signs requesting RVs to ask permission to stay over night in the PK lot.
Can the managers be discriminate. Like allowing some to stay but not allowing others?

vanbuskirk, I agree, common courtesy, like not putting slides out, jacks down, awnings and grills out and blatantly advertising that you are camping there and taking as many parking places as you can.
I guess we all have our definition of common courtesy.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:24 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Well thanks for posting that, I've never seen it before. I wonder why they don't have signs requesting RVs to ask permission to stay over night in the PK lot.
Can the managers be discriminate. Like allowing some to stay but not allowing others?
Here's how I handle it. First of all, I determine beforehand whether a particular store allows overnight RV parking or not . . . . several online resources for that.

So, for stores that allow it, I go in and seek out who appears to be the front-end manager, you know, up front at a little podium near the cashiers. If nobody is there, I go to the Customer Service desk. Either way, I then ask for permission and say I'll wait for a "manager" if necessary. Seems most store managers delegate the responsibility to some sort of floor supervisor, but I have had a few call the on-duty store manager. Either way, as soon as someone says it's okay, I then ask if there is a location in the parking lot that they prefer I park. Some will say "where ever" and others will indicate a certain area. Many times they will tell me the where the quietest spots are, away from traffic, trucks, etc.

Good thing from my perspective is I have never had any store balk at my request, all have been helpful and usually very friendly.

I've been told it was Sam Walton himself who originally started this whole thing. I hope it continues.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:33 PM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sorry guys, you may be misunderstanding me. I very much appreciate Wal Mart allowing me to overnight in their parking lot. I only stay at WM, maybe 2 or 3 nights a year, on my way to Moab or Ouray, always between 9 or 11PM and 5 or7 AM.
We enjoy our RVing lifestyle. However many people don't see it like we do. Some people would be leary of walking thru a trailer park at night. How do you think some people feel about seeing 10 or 20 RVs overnighting and some others apparently living in their WM parking lot? Trailers and 5th wheels disconnected with no tow vehicle, rugs outside their door, maybe a 100 lb propane bottle sitting outside? I've even seen them with a nice blue tarp bungied over the roof because the roof obviously leaks. Do you think people will get the creeps walking past this?
I believe these are the abusers and will eventually ruin a good thing for every one.
I believe I try to be as courteous as most and I am not above thanking them for allowing us to overnight there.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
You are right, Max, like so many other things in life, it will be the abusers who ruin it. Like you, I appreciate the option when it fits into our traveling scenario.

I am certainly not so special that I'll disregard the wishes of someone or something (in this case WalMart) that benefits me.

Thanks. I hope you and I get to continue to avail ourselves of this convenience.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 AM   #50

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Walmart Corporate - Walmart Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Other RV Camping Places including Walmart Camping

Overnight RV parking etiquette

Wal mart Locations Store Details & Parking | Walmart Store Locator
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #51

No problem Max....I fully agree with you that overnighters should not take advantage of the situation. WM is a privileged convenience not a campground.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
Old 01-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
I feel Walmart does not have a problem with Rvers, seems to me that the only complains are coming from rvers and cities. When take off on a trip I stop for the first night at walmart buy my groceries for the trip because its easy to just roll the buggy up to the coach unload. I don't buy from walmart to compensate them for camping, I buy because its easy for me and my wife. I don't ask walmart permission to shop either. I appreciate Walmart and I think they appreciate rvers . I have never ran up on walmart in a city that the city did not allow overnight stays, if I do I will not stay in that city.
Old 01-12-2014, 07:32 AM   #53

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Try that the next time you break the law and use it on the cop. Let us know how it works out for you, once you get out of jail. LOL

Wow that must be a major felony. being a little dramatic arent you. I mean who goes to jail for parking at Wallie world
Old 01-12-2014, 07:53 AM   #54

People need to stop being so d%#* cheap and use campgrounds. You are the reason campgrounds along the highway have failed leaving the rest of us with few options.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:03 AM   #55

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanko View Post
Wow that must be a major felony. being a little dramatic arent you. I mean who goes to jail for parking at Wallie world
I have worked with law enforcement, not as a cop.

I have seen more than one person who was going to just receive a warning, either written or oral, land in jail just because of the way they acted with the officer.

It usually starts with: I know my rights.

In other words, they talked themselves into jail!

It could easily happen at WalMart.
Old 01-12-2014, 08:15 AM   #56

Newmar Owners Club
Being Cheap??????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
People need to stop being so d%#* cheap and use campgrounds. You are the reason campgrounds along the highway have failed leaving the rest of us with few options.
Just speaking for myself, it does not have a thing to do with being cheap. When traveling, most of the time I am not done driving till after dark, and a couple of times the weather was great, nice night for driving, stopped driving at 1 am........ We have to travel like this due to we are still working and have to drive a little more than 200-300 miles per day. Most all campgrounds/resorts are closed down(office) by the time I am done for the day. So with this in mind, I am truly sorry if I had anything to do with a campground/resort going out of business due to my schedule and driving habits when on vacation, maybe when retired the pace for us will slow down as far as a time frame, I am looking forward to this for sure!