Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2019, 08:35 PM   #43

Its all about net CCC

I bought a used 24-foot 5th wheel travel trailer in 2011. My wife and I spend a couple of months at a time in it. It has been great, but I wish I had paid more attention to the net Cargo Carrying Capacity. My trailer has about 1200 pounds net CCC. I've added a 140 watt solar panel, two 6-volt golf cart batteries, oversize tires, and other "improvements". But after loading up for a 2-month trip, the trailer usually weighs in right at its GVWR. I know this because there is a public scale close to my home. This provides no weight "safety margin". I compensate by driving very carefully, but still I don't like the trailer being at its maximum weight. Even though I have the bearings repacked by an RV dealership the trailer has had several bearing failures, one of which caused a fire in the hub. I had to do a field replacement on the side of the road.

This is where ORV really does things right, at least in some of their trailers. Several of their shorter models have almost 3000 pounds net CCC. If there are other smaller travel trailers out there with this much net CCC, I haven't found them. If your tow vehicle can handle the tongue weight, I'd give one of those strong considertion.

In any event, check the net CCC sticker on the side of any trailer you are considering. More is better. We've found that 1200 pounds of water, propane, tools, spare tire, food, clothes, and "stuff" really isn't all that much.

Good luck in your search!
FiddleMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2019, 10:07 PM   #44

You say you plan on a lot of boondocking BLM and FS. I would consider a Toy Hauler because they usually have 100 to 150 gallon fresh water and 50 and 50 grey and black and you can haul a larger toy in them to go out and enjoy the back country. Maybe something with a 22 to 26 foot box. Most newer Toy Hauler already sit high for ground clereance.
Attitude, blazen, jayco, sandstorm many to choose from
I have a Jayco T33L toyhauler and enjoy it alot 80 percent boondocking.
tileguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #45

You mention budget.

Many thousands of full-time live-aboard moblie folk use converted cargo trailers.
These can be ordered custom to your specifications == length, width, height, interior.
You can also design the carrying capacity through your choice of axles and suspension.
They will serve you for many back-country explorations, then you can sell it for a value close to near-retail.

You mention durability.
Horse trailers are built to commercial standards.
Horse trailers are designed to protect the animals during a vehicle collision... something no other vehicle can claim.
Horse trailers survive decades of scenic by-ways.
LargeMarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 08:12 AM   #46

Smile Think Toy Hauler

I use my 23 ft Toy Hauler for just about everything including 6 weeks off grid boon docking, it has 80 gallons of water, 40 grey and 40 black tanks, also on board generator 4kw, 30 gallon fuel tank, I added 100 watt solar to the roof, two batteries and shock absorbers to both axles, upgraded 10 ply tires.
In my truck I carry a 1000 watt honda generator just for battery charging, it's small light weight and uses very little fuel, in addition I have a 100 gallon fresh water tank and RV on demand water pump that I can fill pretty much anywhere there is pottable water, along with this I have a masserator pump and a 100 foot hose to pump my black tank into most pit toilets when full, I usually try and camp close to the outhouse when possible, dumping takes about 20 minutes, but alone I can usually stay 4 weeks without ever dumping,
It tows well and if not carrying an atv, I put in my recliner, a dresser and a couple of side tables, my model has double queen sized beds that come down from the ceiling electrically, ,twin couches on either side that can be removed if needed.................it does well size wise all over the west.
Muledeer2
Muledeer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:23 AM   #47

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your continued posts. I have actually decided on a TT and will be picking it up later this month. I decided to get almost 500 watts of solar plus my Honda gen so I feel confident my power requirements will be met. It is an ORV 24RLS so all my boondocking needs will be met too. I thought about a Toy Hauler but they are just too heavy for my truck and my toys are MTBs so no need for addition fuel tanks or large generators. One feature I really like is the two recliners and giant windows.

See ya’ll later!
millermotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 10:46 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguy View Post
You say you plan on a lot of boondocking BLM and FS. I would consider a Toy Hauler because they usually have 100 to 150 gallon fresh water and 50 and 50 grey and black and you can haul a larger toy in them to go out and enjoy the back country. Maybe something with a 22 to 26 foot box. Most newer Toy Hauler already sit high for ground clereance.
Attitude, blazen, jayco, sandstorm many to choose from
I have a Jayco T33L toyhauler and enjoy it alot 80 percent boondocking.
There are some states that let you pull a 5th wheel then a trailer behind it (big enough for an RZR). I just don't know which ones let you. I wanted to get an RZR but I guess my offroad scooter will be fine. It goes 40mph and has some good knobby tires and I can use a solar panel to charge the batter (which I carry in the parts bin on the scooter)
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #49

We love or ORV, you will enjoy the quality of an ORV especially after a couple of cold nights. We are still stuck in Oregon till the after holidays and the trailer is nice and warm

Best of luck to you and hope to see you out there on the road.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muledeer2 View Post
... I have a masserator pump and a 100 foot hose to pump my black tank into most pit toilets when full, I usually try and camp close to the outhouse when possible, dumping takes about 20 minutes, but alone I can usually stay 4 weeks without ever dumping,
You didn't say what kind of park you stay but this practice would certainly be frowned upon by the national forest campgrounds. Adding that much waste would make them having to pay to have it pumped out faster than normal. Not many people would 'want' to park close to the outhouse.
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:02 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by millermotto View Post
I decided to get almost 500 watts of solar plus my Honda gen so I feel confident my power requirements will be met.
One thing few TT manufacturers never seem to have enough of is battery space ! With that much solar, I would strongly suggest FOUR 6V golf cart batteries.

Flood lead acid golf cart batteries are very moderately priced at Sams and Costco. AGM golf cart batteries do exist, but are expensive and usually require special order through a golf cart distributor or solar power store.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
One thing few TT manufacturers never seem to have enough of is battery space ! With that much solar, I would strongly suggest FOUR 6V golf cart batteries.

Flood lead acid golf cart batteries are very moderately priced at Sams and Costco. AGM golf cart batteries do exist, but are expensive and usually require special order through a golf cart distributor or solar power store.
Do travel trailers have a lesser basement than 5th wheels? MY buddy's Montana has a good size basement. He doesn't have solar yet though.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote