Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #15

Full time in a ORV 28RKS, almost 60 feet total truck trailer length. 360 Watt solar and two trojan batteries. 80% of all spots are boondocking. Trailer is surpassing 40K miles and the only things that break are from lack of me doing maintenance. In the future we will be upsizing to a GD toyhauler so we're can upgrade to a side by side.

It is a great lifestyle but invest in a well built trailer. You don't want to spend Elk season in Oregon in a 3 seasons trailer. The pictures are Priest Hole, Rouge River Lobster Bar, and Ochoco NF, all in Oregon. Not easy to get in too, or out, but more than doable for our trailer. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180502_171909.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	268200Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702_181322.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	268201Click image for larger version

Name:	20190922_144116.jpeg
Views:	54
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	268202
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2019, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
360 Watt solar and two trojan batteries.
This sounds a bit "light" on the solar power !
  1. LP for refrigeration ?
  2. Any other "significant" 12VDC loads ?
  3. How much (if any ?) 120VAC do you use ?
Old 11-29-2019, 08:32 AM   #17

The trailer could use another solar panel occasionally but since we primarily boondock we not afraid to use the generator. We are not energy hogs, don't watch much TV or play on computers.

Our 50 gallon black tank allows us, two people, to stay out for over two weeks. When it is getting full it is time to move. That is our only limitation for length of time in a spot.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:07 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Great pictures. It looks like you take your trailer off the road somewhat. I was fearful that the ORVs didnt have enough ground clearance. I too plan to spend much of my time in OR (I am a displaced native) so I would be interested in hearing or seeing some of your more “off-road” situations pulling your TT.

Thanks!
millermotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:15 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
This sounds a bit "light" on the solar power !
  1. LP for refrigeration ?
  2. Any other "significant" 12VDC loads ?
  3. How much (if any ?) 120VAC do you use ?
We had 300w solar for our 40' motorhome. Again, not energy hogs. In the West since it's mostly sunny we didn't have to use the generator; the solar always topped off and we could last up to 2 weeks before having to dump the tanks.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 12:08 PM   #20

The ORV has clearance to go where I want. The only time length is an issue for me is at small Forest service campgrounds, but then I just go down the road and find a boondocking site.

There are so many places to take your RV. The view of the Virgin river by Zion is one of our favorite places. Many step up rocks to get over but the view is worth it. Beaches in Texas are a fun way to kill time in the winter. All these are free.

I am retired military on a fixed budget so we're always looking for ways to save money. Click image for larger version

Name:	6525.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	268302Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6453.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	292.7 KB
ID:	268303
Old 11-30-2019, 01:52 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
The issue I see is with your truck. The ORVs are heavy because they are beefy, as Shane noted. We took ours all over the place, and we dry camped/boondocked a lot. We had a 24RKS that we really liked, but it was very marginal with a 1/2 ton truck. Our lives were much better when we got a 3/4 ton diesel. If you are camping for long periods, most people end up in something bigger than a 20-21’. As for solar, we had 300 watts on ours plus two 6v batteries. We very seldom needed a generator to top things off, but it definitely depends on where you like to camp. Shady sites will mean generator usage.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 05:13 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I just noticed you are from Rockaway Beach. I am from Oceanside originally and have a couple friends still in Rockaway. I too am retired Military so I am trying to make this purchase count and I appreciate all of the advice offered on this forum. I will update this thread if I purchase the Black Series on monday. Enjoy your travels!
Old 11-30-2019, 05:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktn1966 View Post
The only time length is an issue for me is at small Forest service campgrounds, but then I just go down the road and find a boondocking site.
If you plan on boondocking A LOT, water will be your biggest issue. Getting fresh water and getting rid of gray water and black water.

If you are going to be "off grid" for long periods, I would check into a composting toilet. No black water to worry about.
Old 11-30-2019, 11:47 PM   #24

I need to change the Rockaway Beach, sold house and went full time going on 3 years.

Water is an easy commodity. We have 80 gallon tank. I always bring bottled water that we drink, and use fresh tank for everything else. I use a 60 water bladder that I can fill up, then transfer to trailer. 80 gallons of water and 130 gallons of waste tank space so plenty of room. Especially since I can pee outside when boondocking. Lol

This is another favorite place we tow in to when in Oregon. Mack's canyon is another great place just down the road from Beavertail. Especially if you like to fish. Click image for larger version

Name:	20180426_084502.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	268330
Old 12-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #25

I don't know what you should do, nobody really does, but I'll tell you what I do because it works for me. I live by myself full time in an Arctic Fox fifth wheel 27 – 5L and boondock most of the time. I have six 140 watt solar panels, and 400 amps of lithium iron batteries, have never owned a generator and after almost 5 years of full timing and a lot of boondocking I've never felt the need.

Now I know you said you're only going to live in your RV for 80% of the time but that's more time than weekend and vacation RVs are designed for, so it would be wise when you find something you like to call the manufacturer and ask them if their RV was designed to be lived in full time, and you will be surprised how many manufacturers will say no. So yes a well-built trailer will be worth the premium.

I would say the layout of the interior and the floor plan will be the least of your worries down the road. If your trailer has a light weight weak frame, a small carry capacity, and cheap axles it will cause you far more heartache than a kitchen with limited counterspace. When you find a trailer, in my opinion, you should spend more time looking at the frame and running gear, because that's where the manufacturers cheap out. They spend their money on fancy interiors that make you say wow when you walk in the door. Later on you find out the frame is so weak the manufacturer doesn't even want you to hang a bicycle on the back

I have found that for me personally 30 feet in length is as big as I want it to be for going off road. And after doing this for over four years if I get another trailer will be a little smaller.

How much solar power do you need? More than you might think. Even in the southern Arizona deserts, where I spend a lot of time, clouds can cover the sky for several days at a time, so you need enough solar power to go for several days with little or no charging, or you need a backup generator and neighbors that don't mind the noise.

theboondork.com
theboondork. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
If you plan on boondocking A LOT, water will be your biggest issue. Getting fresh water and getting rid of gray water and black water.

If you are going to be "off grid" for long periods, I would check into a composting toilet. No black water to worry about.
I will be boondocking most of the time. I have never used a compost toilet. How do they work? Is there a smell since there is no water? Or is it like cat litter clay substance?
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:20 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Back to the drawing board!

Ok, we looked at the Black Series HQ19 today and decided not to purchase. It was much smaller than expected and the interior height was way to low. I am 6' even and my head felt cramped and I had to duck under the A/C unit. It was a preowned unit and had NITTO tires which was impressive but the shower door had a tear on the weather striping and the bathroom door felt like it was off the track even though it wasn't. So, for the money I just didn't feel it was the right purchase for us. It was a very impressive RV though and if it was a smidge bigger and a lot less expensive then maybe I would think about it.

So, we looked at an Artic Fox 25R I believe and I liked it a lot but the ground clearance concerned me. Now I am back to looking at the ORVs as they check all the blocks but finding an affordable one or even one just to look inside near me will be a challenge.

Thanks to all of you for your advice and maybe I will see you down the road.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #28

Don't throw the Arctic Fox out of bed quite yet -- they have a reputation for being very sturdy. Is it possible to lift the trailer for better ground clearance? There are kits available, and I am told that a handy person can DIY the project. (I had the dealer do my lift.)

By the way, there are two kinds of lift kits, as far as I know. One is a 2x2 tube of steel that goes under the frame. The other is an axle flip. That's what I chose.

Either one will give you a little more clearance -- not sure if you can use them together. And lifting raises your center of gravity, which is not a great thing. But I felt that the ground clearance was more important, since we go off-pavement a lot.

Does the Arctic Fox have torsion suspension, or leaf springs?
profdan is offline   Reply With Quote