Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:02 AM   #15

I am boondocking in the El Paso Mountain area of Southern California now and with my 600 watts of panels (6- 100 watt) I am charging about 300 amp-hours per day. So to answer your question during the summer, clear sky about 50 amp-hours per 100 watt panel.
During the winter or cloudy days your mileage may vary.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 05:09 PM   #16

I use about 40 Ah per day max. I have 360 Ah of coach batteries, 20 hr rating. Wisdom says to use the same wattage in panels as amp hours in batteries so I fudged a little and made it 480 watts of panels at 17v. Basically about 27 amps going to a battery at from 13.7 to 14.6 volts. This means in two hours my batteries should be charged from the day before. But, and a big but, is that 14.6 volts is needed in the adsorption phase to bring the batteries up from 80% to full charge. This means more than the two hours. Then we have things in air called clouds and tree branches even rain. So I figured on a good day the batteries should go to float and they do. I have seen 27 amps going in at about 425 watts at 13.7 volts for two hours followed by 2 hours at 14.6 volts, the adsorption phase and then going to bulk.

My voltage loss is minimal, 8 gauge to connect them to 2 gauge to the controller and 2 gauge to the batteries. Batteries are 6 volt Trojans.

So the calculations others have given you are good but remember the oomph needed for the adsorption phase. How many amps are you going to use in a day and plan on replenishing that including adsorption, total about twice the amps used?

Old 08-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #17

good solar panels generate power as only as there is daylight. i am in ocean shores, wa, now. it's heavy raining with gusty wind. i just checked the controller it showed 3.6a charging. incredible.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:48 PM   #18

We have gotten fair results in rain as CountryFit notes. We get 200 to 300 W in moderate rain. We turned the inverter off when not in use since it has a parasitic draw of about 100 W.
We were camped in rain forest on Olympic Peninsula and still harvested 300 to 500 W-hrs a day through heavy foliage. The battery suite did go down each day but we did fine for 5 or 6 days. Turned inverter off when not in use here as well. We still used the micro-wave and watched Mystery Theater on DVD at night.
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-29-2015, 07:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
good solar panels generate power as only as there is daylight. i am in ocean shores, wa, now. it's heavy raining with gusty wind. i just checked the controller it showed 3.6a charging. incredible.

Sunny Big Bear Lake over 300 days of sunlight per year.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Sunny Big Bear Lake over 300 days of sunlight per year.
when getting cold here, we'll probably go lake havasu this winter
Old 08-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #21

So many people with so many different needs and systems. So many honking big systems. I'm impressed. I just tested out my 100 w panel and install this week. I was able to run my home drip coffee maker which was one of my goals. So much easier than gas burner perking. I have only seen 4 amps from my panel but haven't really looked at peak hours. Does my trimetric 2030 record max charging amps? I have Only 1 crown 115 ahr 12 battery. 2030 only had 120ahr as a choice. I can only say that my battery was at 88% in the morning and hit full at 1 pm. Sunrise was about 7 am. So 12% of 120 in 6 hrs. Coffee maker drew 90 amps, near limit for my kasae 1000 w inverter. . I brewed 4 cups. It took my capacity down 7%. That is so neat of a feeling to get the suns power. I may add one more 100 w panel someday. I don't spend lots of time in the camper and have always been a power miser. I have LED in most used locations. This is just a small truck camper. I run fridge on propane. It will be interesting to brew 8 cups and run my heater blower on a cold night. I usually just set it at 55 on cold nights and turn up in the morning before heading outside.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #22

Go now, if you are cold.
Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
I use about 40 Ah per day max. I have 360 Ah of coach batteries, 20 hr rating. Wisdom says to use the same wattage in panels as amp hours in batteries so I fudged a little and made it 480 watts of panels at 17v. Basically about 27 amps going to a battery at from 13.7 to 14.6 volts. This means in two hours my batteries should be charged from the day before. But, and a big but, is that 14.6 volts is needed in the adsorption phase to bring the batteries up from 80% to full charge. This means more than the two hours. Then we have things in air called clouds and tree branches even rain. So I figured on a good day the batteries should go to float and they do. I have seen 27 amps going in at about 425 watts at 13.7 volts for two hours followed by 2 hours at 14.6 volts, the adsorption phase and then going to bulk.

My voltage loss is minimal, 8 gauge to connect them to 2 gauge to the controller and 2 gauge to the batteries. Batteries are 6 volt Trojans.

So the calculations others have given you are good but remember the oomph needed for the adsorption phase. How many amps are you going to use in a day and plan on replenishing that including adsorption, total about twice the amps used?
You only use 45 a hr? But have 480 w of panels? That seems like you have plenty of solar My panel says like 6-7 amps max. I have only seen hear 4 but I haven't used my tilt brackets yet.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:03 PM   #24

I've seen my theoretical 27 amps. Remember you want to get into the adsorption phase for long enough to go to float. at 12.7 volts you are not at 100%, they still need to get through the adsorption phase which tops them off. Trojan recommends 14.8 volt but I use 14.6, just more comfortable. This way your batteries will last for years. The L size Trojans like 14.8 adsorption phases.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 AM   #25

I think I went to float as I have seen the battery at 15 v but it was a cold morning at 9000' the other day. And I have seen amps drop to a trickle. You say you need 2 x the power to put back in? I thought it was more like 1.2. x?
Old 08-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkski View Post
I think I went to float as I have seen the battery at 15 v but it was a cold morning at 9000' the other day. And I have seen amps drop to a trickle. You say you need 2 x the power to put back in? I thought it was more like 1.2. x?

Float is 13.3v. Don't know what your 15v is, but it is probably not good. Many solar installations don't work because of under design. I assume clouds, tree branches etc. that way my batteries at the end of the day are charged and conditioned. The size L16's like a certain charge regimen unique to this battery. Also a lot depends upon your controller and your conductor size. Voltages you see at the controller may not be the voltages at the battery.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:15 PM   #27

I have my controller set to 14.8 v but also have a temp probe and it was a frosty morning? I have little time observing this system so far and on this short trip I was out elk hunting.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:15 PM   #28

How far is your controller from the battery and the wire size?

Tags
solar