Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon View Post
A battery charger, or recharger, is a device used to put energy into a secondary cell or rechargeable battery by forcing an electric current through it.

A solar charger employs solar energy to supply electricity to devices or charge batteries.

Solar Controller does not completely define what it is or does. The better term in our case is Solar Charger.

By definition a solar charger is a battery charger but a battery charger is not a solar charger.

It's the same as "a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square".

Ditto
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2015, 03:15 PM   #58

This is what the Tristar T45 Solar Controller does:
Morningstar’s TriStar™ is a three-function controller that provides reliable solar battery charging, load control or diversion regulation. It is rated at 45 or 60 amps, both at 12-48 volts, and has an optional meter, remote meter and remote temperature sensor.

Seems to tell me what it does.
Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
In your case then you need it. In my case I notice my batteries have finished the adsorption phase, are in the float stage and can not take any further charge probably because we use power more wisely, are more energy efficient and the overall design of system is better.
The numbers I used were a simple example. Not MY numbers.

I have not described my system, so I don't understand your " mine is better then yours " comments.

My point was to show others, who don't have or find battery monitors "to complicated", how important they are to battery management.

Another important part of building a solar charging system, is to do an energy audit, so the designer isn't wasting money, over building a system.

Enjoy your day.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:29 PM   #60

A legend in his own mind. What asinine arguments, but stupid is what stupid does. These know it all blow hards mostly contribute their ego to the discussion. Arguing minutiae and semantics, and cut and paste, doesn't help people.

Forest Grump on ignore...Ahhhhhhh!
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The numbers I used were a simple example. Not MY numbers.

I have not described my system, so I don't understand your " mine is better then yours " comments.

My point was to show others, who don't have or find battery monitors "to complicated", how important they are to battery management.

Another important part of building a solar charging system, is to do an energy audit, so the designer isn't wasting money, over building a system.

Enjoy your day.

Do you even have a solar system or are you just being argumentative? Did you install it yourself? Have you ever used a solar system?
Old 09-10-2015, 05:30 PM   #62

Solar amp hours in real life

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
A legend in his own mind. What asinine arguments, but stupid is what stupid does. These know it all blow hards mostly contribute their ego to the discussion. Arguing minutiae and semantics, and cut and paste, doesn't help people.

Forest Grump on ignore...Ahhhhhhh!

No I just think it's rather funny that some on here write comments that pretty much are nonsense and when asked a simple question reverse it and answer affirmative. Oh, that's you!

You have a solar system and so do do use your "charger" or a solar controller to charge it? What brand is this "charger"? Did you install it yourself?
Old 09-10-2015, 07:03 PM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hey! *I'm* the pedantic putz around here!

But I'm glad someone else can stand in for me when I'm not paying attention.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:07 PM   #64

Quote:
Do you even have a solar system or are you just being argumentative? Did you install it yourself? Have you ever used a solar system?
Yes, actually 2
Yes, both times
Yes.

System 1;
3 piece X 225 watt 36 volt panels, series run to a TS 60 amp MPPT controller, CHARGING an 8 piece, 6 volt GC2, series- parallel 12 volt 800AH battery bank, powering a Xantrex PSW 2000 inverter. Monitored by a Trimetrix 2020. Backed up by a IOTA 55 amp 3 stage charger powered by a Honda EU 2000 and or a 100 amp Delco12S engine driven alternator.
Fulltime, off grid living 5 years. Residential refrigerator, microwave, KVH auto tracking satellite TV with powerd sound bar, Mr. Coffee electric coffee maker, toaster, crock pot, 2 laptops and 1 desktop computer, miscellaneous cordless chargers.

System 2;
3 piece x 100 watt 12 volt..........

Hey, who cares, but me. I know what I got.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:40 PM   #65

Quote:
A battery "charger" does one thing none of the others do, it take AC voltage and converts it to DC voltage.

Shall we continue?
Input voltage has nothing to do with defining a charger. There are DC to DC chargers and AC to DC chargers and they are all called chargers.

A Solar charger is a DC to DC charger.
The charger build into an inverter is a AC to DC charger.
The alternator in your car is an AC to DC charger.
The old generator that used to be used in cars was a DC to DC charger.

A Solar charger does have one special ability and that it can pull the optimum power from the solar panel.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Hey! *I'm* the pedantic putz around here!

But I'm glad someone else can stand in for me when I'm not paying attention.

Great!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Yes, actually 2
Yes, both times
Yes.

System 1;
3 piece X 225 watt 36 volt panels, series run to a TS 60 amp MPPT controller, CHARGING an 8 piece, 6 volt GC2, series- parallel 12 volt 800AH battery bank, powering a Xantrex PSW 2000 inverter. Monitored by a Trimetrix 2020. Backed up by a IOTA 55 amp 3 stage charger powered by a Honda EU 2000 and or a 100 amp Delco12S engine driven alternator.
Fulltime, off grid living 5 years. Residential refrigerator, microwave, KVH auto tracking satellite TV with powerd sound bar, Mr. Coffee electric coffee maker, toaster, crock pot, 2 laptops and 1 desktop computer, miscellaneous cordless chargers.

System 2;
3 piece x 100 watt 12 volt..........

Hey, who cares, but me. I know what I got.

So why not use the iota as a solar controller?
Old 09-10-2015, 09:03 PM   #68

Solar amp hours in real life

[QUOTE=Timon;2739115]Input voltage has nothing to do with defining a charger. There are DC to DC chargers and AC to DC chargers and they are all called chargers.

A Solar charger is a DC to DC charger.

The charger build into an inverter is a AC to DC charger.

The alternator in your car is an AC to DC charger.

The old generator that used to be used in cars was a DC to DC charger.

A Solar charger does have one special ability and that it can pull the optimum power from the solar panel.[

"Input voltage has nothing to do with defining a charger". Then you proceed to define 4 chargers via input.

Don't you mean current type, AC vs DC? Those darn adjectives again.

So a 12 amp Solar charger using your phraseology can pull optimum power from a 1200 watt series of 17v panels and that's it?

So what's a good solar charger for my RV? I'm not familiar with any.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:15 PM   #69

Quote:
So why not use the iota as a solar controller?
Ok, you have sunk to making doppy comments in the conversation.

I apologise for my attempt at a correction of your condescending comment to jackfish.

I'm sure your attitude will draw in all sorts of people, looking for your help in solar systems.

Enjoy your life in the desert, under ?10 hours of high sun, recharging in 2 hours, the 12% of your battery capacity, that you use each night living under a few LED bulbs.

I'm not impressed. I'm out.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #70

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
In your case then you need it. In my case I notice my batteries have finished the adsorption phase, are in the float stage and can not take any further charge probably because we use power more wisely, are more energy efficient and the overall design of system is better.
Or maybe because you charge your batteries to 14.6v vs. the recommended 14.8v, big difference between the two. Oops, maybe I used the wrong verb or adjective or pronoun here, oh well.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar