Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #71

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
What an exciting little exchange!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
Another issue is do you need a separate amp meter - battery monitor if you have a modern charge controller with display such as the Tristar in an RV. I don't. My Tristar tells me everything I need to know.
Several interesting things here. Firstly "need" - it's probably an easy argument that a good battery monitor is not a "need" as in a life or death requirement. Next, an "amp meter" is not the same as a good "battery monitor".

No doubt that your Tristar tells you a lot. Sadly, it does not tell you everything about your electrical system. It tells you all about what your solar panels and solar charge controller is doing and very little about your battery bank - some hints as to it's state, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Grump View Post
In my case I notice my batteries have finished the adsorption phase, are in the float stage and can not take any further charge probably because we use power more wisely, are more energy efficient and the overall design of system is better.
It is quite difficult to convince someone of the value of a good battery monitor. A person really needs to experience it for themselves. I can repeat what others have said, 'without a good battery monitor, you do not have all the information about your 12V electrical system and that missing information is of value', but you won't listen so probably isn't worth the time to say it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #72

My wife thinks I am OCD with respect to our battery management system. She is probably correct!
Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:38 AM   #73

The reason I posted on this thread was to have some fun with the huge amount of garbage information that was being posted, unchallenged. Yes adjectives, nouns and verbs are important. The person who named his system as a 60 amp solar charger really meant to say that it is a 60 amp solar charge controller. Either that or he keeps his device on the roof soaking up the rays.

There are physical bullies and verbal bullies. I have always loved to have fun with each. It's so easy. When it comes to electrical and someone says something really ridiculous that might cause harm or misinformation then it's time to start asking them the dumb questions. What is remarkable the verbal bully's answer till eventually even they catch on. Some take longer than others. Some call you names, like kindergarteners.

Some insist you must have what they have because it is really important, to them. Some insist this does that without really knowing what its primary purpose or significance is. Some speak to the complete veracity and volume of knowledge of Solar Bob and then butcher what his was saying or trying to get across.

Solar Bob is really good for his emphasis on conductor size, his expertise on solar charge controllers and what certain brands will do and won't do. He is is excellent in matching the various solar components and more importantly he is very practical and uses the correct terminology.

So I had fun guys, enjoy!
Old 09-11-2015, 12:04 PM   #74

Handybob as in https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/ or is there another guru?
Confused
Old 09-11-2015, 02:13 PM   #75

That's him!
Old 09-12-2015, 08:06 AM   #76

Class, class, class... what did happen?
Play nice
elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:33 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
It strikes me funny, some have motor home monitors the tell them going down the road all about the motor and trans and tires and and and, guess I'm one. But others get to the same place I go with nothing extra, it is amazing how they get there without the $1000 in extra gauges. Same for solar panels and charge controllers. It must be amazing how some get by, don't run out of power, get max life out of batteries without the $1000 of extra monitors and gizmos. "JUST AMAZING"

LEN
Old 09-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #78

Amen to that!
Old 09-13-2015, 06:05 PM   #79

I like having the monitors for the Tristar MPPT-45, the Magnum Inverter, and the Manzanita Micro LFP Battery Management System.

1. It helps to know what is happening and where we are in charging/discharging and what energy usage mode we should be using e.g. using solar/battery for fridge and/or hot water or having to use propane. Or even turning off inverter when not required.

2. And primarily, if something goes wrong I can call our older son for advice. We were camped on beach in Yucatan and things were not working. He had me run through diagnostics and I just had to make several adjustments.

We also carry two extra trailer tires since you cannot get trailer tires in Mexico and Belize. You can get Michellin pickup truck tires anywhere. We met a couple that convoyed down to Panama and back and they said one couple did not have spare tire for tow vehicle or trailer.

Reed and Elaine
Old 09-14-2015, 01:11 PM   #80

Boy this thread has taken some interesting turns. I did not look up Solar Bob and simply do everything he said to do, until I read numerous other sites and then figured that he knew what he was talking about. I learned everything from reading his and others sites and decided what was going to work for me and it does just that. He also responds to emails and is very helpful.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:20 PM   #81

Obviously one does not have to do everything Handy Bob says, but the five takeaways from his blog that I previously posted are in general agreement with the likes of Jack Meyer and J. Greg Holder.
RV Electrical
http://www.amsolar.com/shop/images/ams_workshop-1.pdf
And #5. of the afore mentioned takeaways implies employing temperature compensation.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #82

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Boy this thread has taken some interesting turns. I did not look up Solar Bob and simply do everything he said to do, until I read numerous other sites and then figured that he knew what he was talking about. I learned everything from reading his and others sites and decided what was going to work for me and it does just that. He also responds to emails and is very helpful.
I agree, there is a lot of good information there. Interesting turns is an understatement.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 03:42 PM   #83

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Obviously one does not have to do everything Handy Bob says, but the five takeaways from his blog that I previously posted are in general agreement with the likes of Jack Meyer and J. Greg Holder.
RV Electrical
http://www.amsolar.com/shop/images/ams_workshop-1.pdf
And #5. of the afore mentioned takeaways implies employing temperature compensation.
Agreed. With regards to substantial output charge controlling, either solar or inverter, temperature compensation is an absolute must.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar