RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 PM   #1

Solar Batteries

Has anyone used Hybrid auto batteries for storage.

LABrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 05:02 PM   #2

If you just want to store energy, they will work.

If your going to use the stored energy often, then probably not the longest lasting choice.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Golf Cart Batteries are deep cycle batteries that will work best for your RV and solar. Hybrid batteries are more for starting (short duration high current flow). Golf cart batteries have thicker plates and are designed for providing current over a long period of time and then being recharged. You can always upgrade later to LiFePo4 batteries (the initial investment for a battle born battery is greater but they provide as much power as a pair of GC2 lead acid golf cart batteries, will outlast your next several rigs and only weigh 30 lbs).

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	240490  
SSG Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #4

I think the OP is talking about either nickel metal hydride battery or lithium ion batteries as used in hybrid cars... like the Prius or Ford Escape hybrid. Inexpensive to buy from junkyard or used, but still has lots of available amp-hours.

They are high-voltage, so you would need a dc-dc converter to reduce the output to 12 volts.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:40 PM   #5

Mortons on the Move have extensive information on using recycled tesla batteries which they got from HSR Motors (I think) who verifies and warrantees the functionality of the packs and builds and sell battery management systems (BMS) for them.

https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/tom...-tesla-battery

I could have had 2x the solar, 10x the battery and much better system for the same cost of the 4 Battle Born and GoPower solar I installed (oh well)
Old 04-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaRVey 74.5 View Post
Mortons on the Move have extensive information on using recycled tesla batteries which they got from HSR Motors (I think) who verifies and warrantees the functionality of the packs and builds and sell battery management systems (BMS) for them.

https://www.mortonsonthemove.com/tom...-tesla-battery

I could have had 2x the solar, 10x the battery and much better system for the same cost of the 4 Battle Born and GoPower solar I installed (oh well)
What did you have installed? My 4 Battleborn batteries give me more useable power than 8 golf cart batteries and with the 1000 watts of solar on my roof i always have lots of power available. Its like being at home in the woods. I run everything and have even run my air conditioner for an afternoon just for fun. The batteries will outlast my next several RVs and the solar was $1472 self installed. It was a game changer!

-Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1764.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	240771  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:04 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
2 AGM batteries have as much power as a 200V Prius battery. By the time you buy a 200V charger and a inverter that will work on 200V DC, have you saved any $ and non of those items are 100% efficient.

I recently researched Lion batteries and even at $400 for a 100AH battery I went with AGMs BUT I only paid $70 for a used Interstate 110 AH AGM battery. Buying used only works if the resting voltage 12 hours after charging is 12.8 or higher for a AGM.

If you are going to be in Ohio this summer Search Craigslist for AGM batteries.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #8

The packs can be broken down into lower voltage segments . Depending on the type of cell , they may not be able to be configured to give you the same voltage profile as a 12v lead acid battery.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABrown View Post
Has anyone used Hybrid auto batteries for storage.
As mentioned hybrid or EV (electrric vehicles) have batteries that store in the hundreds of volts. Many are now well over 400v! In the vehicles computers and converters run the thing, not a simple task to make it work in an RV. Also, battery size and shape will probably be awkward. Those things are generally fit to exacting specs to take up as little cargo space as possible. They are often shaped in weird "L" formation, "T" formation to fit under floors and such.

For the headache I'd prefer real AGM or Lithium batteries, costly but if you boondock a lot might be a wiser choice.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Scott View Post
What did you have installed? My 4 Battleborn batteries give me more useable power than 8 golf cart batteries and with the 1000 watts of solar on my roof i always have lots of power available. Its like being at home in the woods. I run everything and have even run my air conditioner for an afternoon just for fun. The batteries will outlast my next several RVs and the solar was $1472 self installed. It was a game changer!

-Scott
Have you run a 13500 or 15000 btu unit or a smaller one? I believe I figured it'd run my 3 batteries down in under 10 minutes. Mine is a 15 000 but rooftop unit. I started it once on the inverter, just let it run a few seconds though.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 05-18-2019, 08:16 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Have you run a 13500 or 15000 btu unit or a smaller one? I believe I figured it'd run my 3 batteries down in under 10 minutes. Mine is a 15 000 but rooftop unit. I started it once on the inverter, just let it run a few seconds though.
I can run 1 A/C (its actually a heat pump/and air conditioner ) unit for about 4 hours and then my batteries are pretty much done. Usually for air-conditioning I just turn on the generator.

I see some of you are still big fans of AGMbatteries. LiFePo4 batteries are generally a drop in replacement as the built in BMS (Battery management system) will keep you from hurting the batteries. BattleBorn would be a top choice and will probably be the last batteries you will ever buy as they will outlast your next couple of coaches with a 5000 cycle life capacity - that's like over 15 years and they come with a 10 year warranty. One Battleborn battery gives you more delivered power than a pair of Golf Cart GC2 batteries and holds steady at 12.8 volts while delivering power. If your looking for something on the cheap - used Valence batteries can be found with plenty of life left (they are used in Medical carts, portable med distribution carts, power floor scrubbers and are often changed out with years of good life left in them. Check Ebay. One U1 12 volt valence battery (its the size of a lawn mower battery) has more power delivered per cycle than a group 24 deep cycle battery. I look back and am astonished what a game changer switching from Lead acid to LiFePo4 batteries was.

Latest tests: With 6kwh of battery storage onboard (4 BattleBorn batteries and 3 used Valence U1 batteries- for a total of 520 amp hours of capacity) I recently have been testing with plugging into my house and using my RV to run my home (shutting off the main circuit breakers of course before switching to RV power). It worked really well - last test was in running my home for 11 1/2 hours before switching back to Utility power.

Silly and yet practical stuff for a retired engineer/Avionics tech to play with.....

-Scott
Old 05-18-2019, 11:20 PM   #12

AGM was the only sensible choice for me. 1 lipo battery was around 1500 CDN and the space required was another reason .

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old Yesterday, 10:35 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
LiFePo4 batteries with built in BMS- sharing the deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
AGM was the only sensible choice for me. 1 lipo battery was around 1500 CDN and the space required was another reason .

An incredible opportunity for a cheaper way to get into LiFePo4 batteries is to search online for Valence U1 batteries (like on EBay) as they are used in medical carts, portable hospital drug dispension systems, commercial floor cleaners and scrubbers and the list goes on. For some reason they are replacing these batteries (hospital 3 year limit?) with only 400-800 cycles on them (they are good for 3000-5000) and there is still 90% of the battery capacity remaining. You can pick them up on ebay for about $100 a piece. Everyone I have tested from amazon and ebay has tested at 90% capacity or greater. 1 of these valence batteries has the same useable power capacity as a group size 24 deep cycle RV battery at about the same price. 5 of these batteries in parallel will give you as much power as 4 GC2 golf cart batteries and would only weight 75lbs. It seems that no one is looking at these smaller batteries- Amazing deal!

Tags
batteries, solar