Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #1

Solar Panel Mounts

Would like to mount 6 panels to the roof of my class a holiday rambler. What would you recommend? Individual mounts or a rack system - I am somewhat concerned with body flex. The rv has a metal roof in sections joined with eternabond tape

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Third Coast View Post
Would like to mount 6 panels to the roof of my class a holiday rambler. What would you recommend? Individual mounts or a rack system - I am somewhat concerned with body flex. The rv has a metal roof in sections joined with eternabond tape
Makes a difference what type of solar panels. Are they the heavy ones with glass , or the light weight "marine grade" panels built on aluminum backing plates ?

I like the lightweight panels which can be attached with 3m VHB double sided tape directly to the roof.

http://www.aurinco.com

Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!!

Inexpensive Z mounts if installing flat. Tilt mounts can be simple manual units to a motorized rack that can even elevated over the AC units and other obstructions. I want with Z mounts because of inexpensive and inability to climb to the roof safely. To mitigate low winter sun angles and obstructions I have two additional panels made portable to set out when needed.

Here is attached a wrote up of my installation that may be useful to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSheetz - Solar Setup for my RV v1.1.pdf (473.7 KB, 252 views)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 185W 66 cell high voltage panel. I did not want to drill holes and imported six plastic mounts. I called and talked with a 3M engineer and he gave me the calculations for surface area needed on the mounts to successfully be able to use VHB tape and which specific VHB tape to use. Our roof is Filon I used the specified surface preparation and 3M cleaner. This has withstood wind speeds in excess of 120 MPH (75MPH, 40MPH head wind, BIG truck). I was VERY careful, the vision of a large solar panel sailing off the top of the trailer scared me a lot.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:31 AM   #5

Grape Solar PhotoFlex 100-Watt Monocrystalline Solar Panel-GS-PHOTOFLEX-100W at The Home Depot
Just tape them down. High efficiency and weigh less than five pounds each. You pay for their advantages though.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #6

Thanks VSheetz for the detailed info on your install. We will be upgrading our 150 watt system sometime next year. I will use your info and diagram as a guideline.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:22 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Grape Solar PhotoFlex 100-Watt Monocrystalline Solar Panel-GS-PHOTOFLEX-100W at The Home Depot Just tape them down. High efficiency and weigh less than five pounds each. You pay for their advantages though.
Tried and was unable to pull up the specs on that panel. Do you have them?
Old 01-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #8

http://grapesolar.com/files/9926/PhotoFlex-100W.pdf
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
Old 01-31-2014, 10:39 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks. 3lbs?!! Mine are 60 each. About killed myself getting those up a ladder.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Grape Solar PhotoFlex 100-Watt Monocrystalline Solar Panel-GS-PHOTOFLEX-100W at The Home Depot Just tape them down. High efficiency and weigh less than five pounds each. You pay for their advantages though.
I wonder about their durability exposed to hail storms, weather, etc...

I know the durability is proven with the marine grade panels .....boaters all over the world run with these

http://www.aurinco.com/solar-electric_us.html

Or their close competitors

http://www.cbcamerica.com/microsite/...id=281&bid=640
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1955483248.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	55053  
Old 01-31-2014, 11:49 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
They are so portable, there would be no need to leave them exposed to bad conditions. But they are pricey per watt. My panels are 315 watts and cost about $80 more each. You pay for that portability. But the entire product line seems overpriced to me.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE="so47;1907591"]They are so portable, there would be no need to leave them exposed to bad conditions. But they are pricey per watt. My panels are 315 watts and cost about $80 more each. You pay for that portability. But the entire product line seems overpriced to me.[/QUOTE

Don't want to get into a price per watt discussion as it becomes quite a rat hole. But as for Grape being overpriced they sell a more conventional 100w panel - available via costco.com for $139 shipping included (if I recall correctly). This is a good price for a 100w panel.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I wonder about their durability exposed to hail storms, weather, etc...

I know the durability is proven with the marine grade panels .....boaters all over the world run with these

Aurinco solar panels

Or their close competitors

SemiFlexible Non GlassĀ*Solar Panels : Products : Ganz Eco-Energy : CBC
In the rare event of storm damage one could replace a Grape Solar 100W Photo-Flex twice for the cost of one Aurinco 100W panel, which cost three times that of the Photo-Flex. 110 watts of Ganz panels will cost almost four times as much as one Grape Solar 100W Photo-Flex. I also know one can walk on the Grape Solar Photo-Flex without damage.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:
In the rare event of storm damage one could replace a Grape Solar 100W Photo-Flex twice for the cost of one Aurinco 100W panel, which cost three times that of the Photo-Flex. 110 watts of Ganz panels will cost almost four times as much as one Grape Solar 100W Photo-Flex. I also know one can walk on the Grape Solar Photo-Flex without damage.
Boaters want to save money too, but I've never heard of one that uses Grape panels. There are boaters forums, and I've read lots of postings......never heard one guy using cheap stuff.....usually quality pays off in the end.

Tags
panel, solar