Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpcgeek49 View Post
Anybody have suggestions for the EPDM Rubber roof on the Heartland Bighorn? The "Sticky Feet" brochure specifically says ""Sticky Feet" are not for use on RV's with rubber ... roofs!"

Well you could still use the brackets, just need to drill and use screws. :( Use plenty of Dicor sealant or eternabond tape over the screw heads to waterproof.

Maybe other suggestions will follow....

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #58

I ran some screws thru my brackets. I will agree that the sticky type glue down panels would pose an issue on the rubber roof design.

Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:31 AM   #59

wanted to kill two birds with one SP install. Temecula Valley RV used residential roof rack mounts. We ran the two rails along the side of the coach spanning the large sunroof over our coaches shower.

1) Up a bit higher, and closer to the edge, so less chance of shadows from the AC Covers and Cover over the Fantastic Fan vents.

2) The solar gain is reduced to near zero from the shading of the sunroof dome. Still get light in, yes with some reduced brightness. And, it is much quieter when sleeping at night during heavy rain or hail storms!

X's 4 240W Sharps/Panasonic 48V panels are on this rack. X's 1 is roof mounted with combo 3M 9500 and mechanical brackets screwed into the fiberglass roof. For a total of 1200W.

We had angled galvanized sheet metal also added to the front and rear of the raised panels, to keep tree limbs from getting caught under the bracket ends. These bent sheets of metal are just 3M 9500 glued down to the roof.

14 months now, with zero problems.

This AC Covers remain the highest point of the roof, by just under three inches.

This residential roof mount racking system may help others with limited roof space. We had room to not use these on our 40' rig, but I really wanted to reduce the solar gain and noise from the large shower sunroof. I know our AC worked much faster, and did not cycle on as much, with the self shading.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 AM   #60

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
wanted to kill two birds with one SP install. Temecula Valley RV used residential roof rack mounts. We ran the two rails along the side of the coach spanning the large sunroof over our coaches shower.

1) Up a bit higher, and closer to the edge, so less chance of shadows from the AC Covers and Cover over the Fantastic Fan vents.

2) The solar gain is reduced to near zero from the shading of the sunroof dome. Still get light in, yes with some reduced brightness. And, it is much quieter when sleeping at night during heavy rain or hail storms!

X's 4 240W Sharps/Panasonic 48V panels are on this rack. X's 1 is roof mounted with combo 3M 9500 and mechanical brackets screwed into the fiberglass roof. For a total of 1200W.

We had angled galvanized sheet metal also added to the front and rear of the raised panels, to keep tree limbs from getting caught under the bracket ends. These bent sheets of metal are just 3M 9500 glued down to the roof.

14 months now, with zero problems.

This AC Covers remain the highest point of the roof, by just under three inches.

This residential roof mount racking system may help others with limited roof space. We had room to not use these on our 40' rig, but I really wanted to reduce the solar gain and noise from the large shower sunroof. I know our AC worked much faster, and did not cycle on as much, with the self shading.

Best to all,
Smitty
A side benefit is that it will help with UV deterioration of the sky light. Very good idea.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:46 AM   #61

Another question on the overall solar design: Am I correct to assume that the voltage drop calculations are additive? If I have a 1.1% voltage drop in the run from the panels to the combiner box, and a 1.3% drop in the run from the combiner box to the solar Controller; I really have a 2.4% voltage drop from panels to controller??
Old 09-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #62

actually its worse than that, your first drop from the panels to the combiner is based on x voltage starting, so if you have a .2 volt drop on 20 volts that would be a 2% drop, but out of your combiner to the controller you are starting at a lower voltage due to the preveious drop .2 would be even biggger as the output is lower. this is where MPPT and high voltage panels help. you can reduce the voltage drop from the panels to controller simply due to its higher starting voltage.

ken
Old 09-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #63

Of Course!!! Thanks for your help!
Old 09-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourpcgeek49 View Post
There was a question that another poster asked that I have not seen the answer: How do you get the wires down from the roof?

I have seen various comments about "going down the refrig vent", but I'm not really clear how that is done? Actually putting the wires inside the vent pipe??? How do you exit to connect to the rest of the electrical system?

A related question, how do you secure the wires on the roof? More screws in the roof?
I asked this question once so, adding to what has already been said...

The 'bottom' of my refrigerator vent already had a whole bunch of wires (from elsewhere) running into the electrical 'compartment' space (under the refrigerator and accessible from inside the RV). So, I secured my array wires in the vent, pushed them thru a hole in the vent 'floor' with the other wires and sealed it all back up. Working fine so far. I can imagine this would not be as easy on some rigs.

I securing the wires on the roof by using Adel clamps at many locations. Mostly bolted to the panel frames and other existing bolts (vent cover). I am not yet totally happy with the transition into the refrig vent but have some ideas. Some things you just have to engineer as you go and then do it again repeatedly until satisfied - not enough time to do it right the first time. :-)
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #65

Ford Super Duty Owner
I punched holes for standard 1/2" conduit fittings and used cable glands to transition through the side of the refrigerator vent.

Cable Glands

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar