Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:40 PM   #1

Solar Power

I am intrested in installing solar power on my 29 ft wildcat 5th wheel.
talked to preacherman at the solar shack near imperal dam. Has anyone dealt with the solar shack?
I need solar for dummeys, reccomended was three panels and 4 battries plus hardware to use. Any info. will help.
mary faye

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 05:38 PM   #2

Mary, the first thing you need to know is how much electricity you will use per day and how many days you want to stay off grid.
I would recommend Arizona Wind and Sun's web site. There is a forum there that was a great help to me when I set up my system.
I have 4X135 amp panels and 4X225 amp/hour batteries. I use an MPPT charger and a 2000 watt inverter.
My wife and I can stay off grid indefinently in the summer, running the microwave for re-heating (no cooking) a small coffee maker once a day, our laptops and TV and satellite box at night. We also use the normal 12 volt stuff--lights--water pump. We can not run an air conditioner or electric space heaters. We run the water heater and fridge on propane Your useage may vary, but design the system for useage plus 20%.

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

An education will help when you talk to solar vendors.
RV Electrical
http://www.amsolar.com/home/amr/cpag...education.html
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:51 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome!!

Suggest to use the search feature here, lots of good info on solar exists already. Attached is a write up I did regarding my solar installation, which may be of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VSheetz - Solar Setup for my RV v1.1.pdf (473.7 KB, 374 views)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:46 PM   #5

solar

How is the cable run from the battery capertment to the panels on the roof of the trailer.
I have talked with the solar shack people near the imperal dam blm and they offer a 2 panel,4
Batteries system with controler and 1750 watt inverter for about $2700.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryfaye View Post
How is the cable run from the battery capertment to the panels on the roof of the trailer.
I have talked with the solar shack people near the imperal dam blm and they offer a 2 panel,4
Batteries system with controler and 1750 watt inverter for about $2700.
in my write up I attached I described how I did it. Down the refrigerator vent, over to the nearby compartment where I installed the solar controller which is next to battery compartment. Your situation will vary due to physical differences. You may come through the roof and into a kitchen cabinet or wardrobe cabinet. Mostly depends on where your batteries and controller reside. Shortest route to these items is the goal.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM   #7

If you are a dedicated Boondocker, put as many watts of solar on the roof, or hung on the side wall to cover a window (adjustable of course), as you can afford, and if you pay more than $1.50 a watt, order your own on line.

Four to six batts are fine, and with enough panels, the battery bank will be full before noon on a sunny day, and sometime during the afternoon on a varying cloudy day, even while using normal power during the day.

Where you are, there are probably many people there that have installed their solar system themselves, and may converse with you on the merits of doing it yourself so as to being able to maintain the system because of your knowledge.

Ed
Old 03-02-2014, 05:46 PM   #8

solar

Do you still need a generator if you have solar?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Sure. You never know when a series of bad SP days will deplete your battery level.

You could be in a hot area, that requires AC, and generator needed for that.

Etc., Etc.,

Yes to generator. And I feel important to keep it in good shape from normal month to month running, and regular yearly maintenance.

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 03-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Yes, as backup when solar conditions preclude full battery charge - low winter sun, shaded location, cloudy weather, etc. Also when needing for air conditioning. YMMV depending on where, when, how you camp. We seldom use the gemmy since installing solar.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #11

Suggest you digest this info from Handy Bob! There is more confusion out there about rv solar and more people in business that don't ... Oh heck, just read what Bob sez b4 you do anything. Save yourself a lot of trouble!
http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com
Old 03-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumOleBob View Post
Suggest you digest this info from Handy Bob! There is more confusion out there about rv solar and more people in business that don't ... Oh heck, just read what Bob sez b4 you do anything. Save yourself a lot of trouble!
HandyBob's Blog « Making off grid RV electrical systems work
Why bother? Too much pontificating to get through to the crux of the issues. Jack and Danielle Mayer's RV Electrical and Solar page has sound information and little ranting.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 09:31 AM   #13

Mary... I will second the VSHEETS method for a sound and very well documented solar install. Vince offered me a copy of his project and I followed it almost to the letter. I verify that not only did I get a low cost install....but it works perfectly. I am not yet finished with the over all project but I am adding my multiple inverters to the key pieces of equipment that I will run off battery. I have even used the same inverters specified by Vince....WHY? because it was proven to work by Vince.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Why bother? Too much pontificating to get through to the crux of the issues. Jack and Danielle Mayer's RV Electrical and Solar page has sound information and little ranting.
Sorry Jack that you do not find HandyBob's site to be helpful. There are a number of good sources for solar info out there and simply I found it to be very helpful to me and that Maryfaye might too. I take your words "Why bother..." to be anything but complimentary to my intent

Tags
power, solar