Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 10:19 PM   #1

Solar power

Hi there! My husband and I jut bought a 2000 Nomad 5th wheel and would like to convert to solar.
What would be a good way to figure out how much power we would need? We want to rv full time and would like to boondock for most of it (or at least have that option) any help would be great.
Thanks!
biddleteam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #2

There are a lot of variables here, like how many electronics do you want to run, where and when do you plan to boondock, it makes a difference if you will be in the sunny southwest or cloudy PNW, .....

Now if you want a starting ballpark, I would say 400 watts of solar panels minimum, anything less an it is hard to keep up with even basic loads like roof vents, LED light, etc.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #3

https://tools.carmanah.com/src.web/G...tm?state=RvDiv
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #4

I just looked at that calculator, and unfortunately like so many others many of their load numbers are either dated, or just plain wrong. For example they show the estimated load for a notebook computer at 150 watts, which may be true for some of the very largest gaming notebook computers from 8-10 years ago. These days most notebook computers come equipped with power supplies that are under 75 watts. The same is true for the numbers they use for televisions, 100 watts for a 19 inch TV and 200 watts for a 25 inch may have been true for tube TV's 15 years ago, but newer flat panel tv's seem to consume less and less power every model year. I just looked up the specs of a random 40 inch current production flat panel TV (a Samsung brand unit) and it shows a typical power consumption of only 25 watts, and a maximum power consumption of 75 watts, and a random 28 inch smart tv lists 22 watts typical and 43 watt max .
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:46 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As much room as you have available on the roof. Low angle sun winter months, cloudy days, etc. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:39 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
I just looked at that calculator, and unfortunately like so many others many of their load numbers are either dated, or just plain wrong. For example they show the estimated load for a notebook computer at 150 watts, which may be true for some of the very largest gaming notebook computers from 8-10 years ago. These days most notebook computers come equipped with power supplies that are under 75 watts. The same is true for the numbers they use for televisions, 100 watts for a 19 inch TV and 200 watts for a 25 inch may have been true for tube TV's 15 years ago, but newer flat panel tv's seem to consume less and less power every model year. I just looked up the specs of a random 40 inch current production flat panel TV (a Samsung brand unit) and it shows a typical power consumption of only 25 watts, and a maximum power consumption of 75 watts, and a random 28 inch smart tv lists 22 watts typical and 43 watt max .
They are close enough and give you a slight cushion as you will always forget a few things.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddleteam View Post
..What would be a good way to figure out how much power we would need? ...

Install a meter like this today;
https://www.solar-electric.com/trtmbamosy1.html

Tomorrow start reading this;
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
You can use the concept of that calculator and your number to compute your estimate. Or lower your usage to equal your numbers.

Search the net; if you find a better calculator please post it.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:40 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
As much room as you have available on the roof. Low angle sun winter months, cloudy days, etc. IMHO.
second this.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Really ruff. 4 batteries and 400 watts will do a lot on sunny days even coffee and micro time in the morning. 6 batteries and 600 watts for the same and some clouds or higher use. You will still need a fair sized Gen in the 3000- 4000 watts for cloudy rainy weather or for A/C or heavy use for more than 30 minutes a day. if you don't already have a 2000 watt inverter add that to the list as well.

LEN
Old 04-04-2017, 07:19 PM   #11

To add to the rantings of Handy Bob:
RV Electrical
RV Solar Education
RV Electrical Power for Dry Camping
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by biddleteam View Post
Hi there! My husband and I jut bought a 2000 Nomad 5th wheel and would like to convert to solar.
What would be a good way to figure out how much power we would need? We want to rv full time and would like to boondock for most of it (or at least have that option) any help would be great.
Thanks!
There are a couple of ways to do the calculations, which have been duly noted by others here. To do an actual measurement you'll need a battery monitor. I see that somebody else recommended the venerable Bogart unit, but I would recommend the Victron BMV-700 as it has many more features and if you decide to go with solar it (or the Bogart) will still be a useful addition to your system. The optional Bluetooth dongle opens up a whole world of new data possibilities for all of the Victron line.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...-series-EN.pdf

You could also go with vsheetz recommendation and just go big. You won't regret it.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #13

Biddleteam, Some very good advice here.

One thing to keep in mind is that solar is in the end, a very expensive battery charger, that works most efficiently when you park in the direct sun and of course, works only during daylight hours.

The thing that provides electrical energy to your fifth wheel are your batteries (when your not hooked up to shore power). The more batteries, the more energy you have to use.

You can use shore power (at a campground or at home to recharge your batteries. You can use a generator to recharge your batteries (boondocking) and power your fifth wheel (including the A/C).

You can recharge your batteries using solar.

For about $2,000, you can buy two Honda 2000i generators. Use one to power everything in your fifth wheel (except the A/C) and recharge your batteries. Hook up the second generator using what's called a parallel kit, and you can run your A/C when its just too hot.

Solar is great (when its sunny) because it doesn't make any noise, but in the end it is just a battery charger.

A 400w solar system with 2 GC2 6v batteries will run you about the same (if you install yourself) as the two Honda generators. Solar will not run your A/C.

By the way, I'm a big fan of solar, we have a 7kw system on our house.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, solar