Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 AM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by w6pea
I need more Coffee & Old Bushmills......all I know for sure that the system I have on my RV works for what I need. 6 battery's 300w in panels and a 200w inverter. Have not had to run my generator in months.
I'm with w6pea
I only have 4 batteries, but 390w in panels and works fine (and I think w6pea meant a 2000w inverter but I could be wrong)
And handy bob helped me to install it
Installation is a big factor.

Thanks again handy bob (if your still lurking around. Hope the computer is still working as well as my solar!)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:16 AM   #198

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I'm with w6pea
I only have 4 batteries, but 390w in panels and works fine (and I think w6pea meant a 2000w inverter but I could be wrong)
And handy bob helped me to install it
Installation is a big factor.

Thanks again handy bob (if your still lurking around. Hope the computer is still working as well as my solar!)

OOPS
I told you I needed more Coffee maybe not as much Old Bushmills. 2000w Pro-Sine
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #199

Only one to go
Matusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:19 PM   #200

200!

And I love my 800 watts of solar and 6 Lifeline AGM 6-volts!
Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 PM   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill100 View Post
My solar panels are fairly close together on the roof.......I used #10 wire from the solar panels to a junction box and the #4 welding cable from the box to the solar charge controller......you can see pictures and exactly what I ........http://home.earthlink.net/~wbrown02/wildbillwashere22/id16.html did at my solar page listed above.......I used a "Pelican" brand plastic box that is meant for small firearms as the junction box and bought terminals to fit inside on the Internet.......
Nice to meet you wildBill100
I have read all of you're posts and they are very informative. In the near
future I will doing a lot of boondocking using solar panels. One of the problems I'm having is understanding how to mount the solar panels so they can tilt both directions and lock down. On this post you showed that you can do that, I would appreciate any information on this issue.
Joe
wright stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:44 AM   #202

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There seems to be plenty of information on how to boondock with solar but I am looking for help with a smaller solar application. I have one 12 volt chassis battery and two 12 volt deep cycle house batteries in my motorhome. What I'm looking for is a solar panel(s) setup that maintains the already charged batteries while the motorhome is in storage. I can't seem to figure out how big a panel I need and what type of controller.

Also, can the chassis battery and the house batteries be charged off of the same panel/controller? If not, can I use the solar on the house batteries and something like the trik-l-start to maintain the chassis battery from the house batteries?

Thanks for the help.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:32 AM   #203

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
There seems to be plenty of information on how to boondock with solar but I am looking for help with a smaller solar application. I have one 12 volt chassis battery and two 12 volt deep cycle house batteries in my motorhome. What I'm looking for is a solar panel(s) setup that maintains the already charged batteries while the motorhome is in storage. I can't seem to figure out how big a panel I need and what type of controller.

Also, can the chassis battery and the house batteries be charged off of the same panel/controller? If not, can I use the solar on the house batteries and something like the trik-l-start to maintain the chassis battery from the house batteries?

Thanks for the help.
I think you are on the right track with using a Trik-L-Start to keep both batteries maintained. If you use a Morningstar Tri-Star 45 controller and at least a 60 watt panel, you will accomplish your objective. The Tri-Star will provide 4 stage charging to keep the batteries charged and in optimum condition.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #204

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

Thanks for the help.
Cliff

I have 1 - 12 volt chassis battery and 2 - 6 volt (300 amp hours) house batteries. I have a 130 watt panel with a Morningstar Duo controller. The controller is set up to send 90% of the charge to the house batteries and 10% to the chassis battery. I also have a Trik-L-Start.

My RV sits in storage up to 6 weeks at a time and the batteries are always fresh. It may be more than I need but it also allows me to operate the RV overnight when not on shore power.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #205

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
Cliff

I have 1 - 12 volt chassis battery and 2 - 6 volt (300 amp hours) house batteries. I have a 130 watt panel with a Morningstar Duo controller. The controller is set up to send 90% of the charge to the house batteries and 10% to the chassis battery. I also have a Trik-L-Start.

My RV sits in storage up to 6 weeks at a time and the batteries are always fresh. It may be more than I need but it also allows me to operate the RV overnight when not on shore power.
Do you still need the Trik-L-Start with the duo controller? I thought the Trik-L-Start was just to keep the chassis battery charged off of the house batteries.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #206

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Do you still need the Trik-L-Start with the duo controller? I thought the Trik-L-Start was just to keep the chassis battery charged off of the house batteries.
The TriK-L-Start was factory installed so I left it alone.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:16 PM   #207

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Got it - thanks for the help wthomas and John. That gives me something to start with.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 AM   #208

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another question - anyone know a good solar dealer/installer in Southern California?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:25 PM   #209

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Another question - anyone know a good solar dealer/installer in Southern California?
I posted the above last month but never heard anything so I will try again. Anyone know a good solar dealer/installer in Southern California?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #210

The lack of an answer to your question probably means that there are no good ones.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote