Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #211

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
The lack of an answer to your question probably means that there are no good ones.
Or maybe it's because IRV and the Boondocking forum don't have a boatload of visitors.

TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #212

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
I posted the above last month but never heard anything so I will try again. Anyone know a good solar dealer/installer in Southern California?
Read all the info on the following link, buy your own components and then you will have a solar system that REALLY works!!! Or you could try to hire Mr. ralper....

Welcome to HandyBob Solar HandyBob's Blog

Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #213

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
I posted the above last month but never heard anything so I will try again. Anyone know a good solar dealer/installer in Southern California?
You can try calling AM Solar and see if they have an installer who will work with you down south. Note/ AM Solar are NOT the cheapest guys around, and you will still need to do your research & be actively involved in the installation, but we've been very happy w/ our install (we used one of their remote guys in FL when we were wintering there). We got our system 7 months ago and it's worked perfectly ever since.

No matter who you use just be sure to do your research about proper wiring size, controller types, controller location, making sure you don't have any shadows on the panels etc. (basically all the key points mentioned in this thread).
Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #214

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelingIt View Post
You can try calling AM Solar and see if they have an installer who will work with you down south. Note/ AM Solar are NOT the cheapest guys around, and you will still need to do your research & be actively involved in the installation, but we've been very happy w/ our install (we used one of their remote guys in FL when we were wintering there). We got our system 7 months ago and it's worked perfectly ever since.

No matter who you use just be sure to do your research about proper wiring size, controller types, controller location, making sure you don't have any shadows on the panels etc. (basically all the key points mentioned in this thread).
I have just one question; do you still have or use a generator??
Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 PM   #215

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
I have just one question; do you still have or use a generator??
Our coach came w/ a generator but we have NOT used it (at all) since we got the solar installation. The solar keeps up beautifully with everything we do. On a sunny day we're usually recharged by lunchtime even if we're on the computer (via inverter) all morning. On cloudy days of course it can take longer. We rarely go below 70% on the batteries and have not had to turn on the generator once.

We did spend alot of time researching and making sure we had the right size wires for our runs, the correct placement of panels and controller etc. Basically everything mentioned on this thread and in Handybob's website. I do think the research is important even if you use someone else to do the installation.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:37 PM   #216

Then you've been to ralpers' page? (Link in post 212?) Good read!!!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #217

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
Then you've been to ralpers' page? (Link in post 212?) Good read!!!
Of course! Handybob's page was very helpful during our research phase. And we made sure we addressed all the common problems he mentions on there w/ our installaler.

There's no doubt that if we'd bought all the components individually and done the installation ourselves it would have been cheaper (and Handybob's page is a great place to find those resources and facts).
But...we just weren't comfortable enough to do it ourselves.

No matter how you do it (yourself or via an installer) the research is critical. I have no doubt that the info on this page and the associated links helped us to get a properly working system.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:55 PM   #218

I going to go solar on our M/H then build a small cabin using what I learned to remain off grid...
Old 07-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #219

I have just found the next level of living off of the grid! I have been studying Nikola Tesla, the TRUE father of radio, robotics, and electrical power distribution as we know it today. He created a switching circuit that conditions batteries, extends their life AND capacities and shortens charging time. I have just ran across two companies using his technology to build battery chargers and rejuvenators that will take solar power and off grid living to the next level of independence!!

Sunlight R-Chargers

Welcome to Renaissance Charge -

I'm particularly interested in the opinions of ralper and WheelingIt!! I enjoyed both or your sites!!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #220

Solo Rvers Club
Not sure how well they would work since there doesn't appear to be any temperature compensation. They don't provide very much info on the voltages that are output so it's hard to say.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:23 AM   #221

iRV2 No Limits Club
The lack of any genuine information on how they actually work on either web site to me sends up a big red flag. You can channel Tesla all you want but unless there is some genuine connection... and that connection has a genuine value.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM   #222

Monaco Owners Club
I have to agree with the others. I don't see enough information in here to consider this an immediate option. There is no info on charging profiles, temp compensation etc. I see what they're trying to address on the sulfation side, but I don't consider sulfation as a major problem in RV solar systems. Wire sizes, panel placement, proper charging profiles, temp compensation etc. are much (much) more significant. The technology is interesting, but I can't see it being significant to RV solar systems as yet.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM   #223

Requests for the info you want has been sent to both companies! I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm just trying to help and learn at the same time!!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #224

Renaissance Charge sent me an owners manual with NONE of the specific information I requested in an auto-generated email from an address that does not accept replies.

The following is the response from Sunlight Bioelectric> (Sunlight R-Chargers) :

"DJ,
There are so many different applications to look at when dealing with RVs. One thing they do have in common is that they all depend on batteries. I have lived in an RV for over five years, been off the grid for over 20 and know batteries better than most mechanics. With all the different types of batteries this complicates RV people even more.
Our chargers are simply the very best way of maintaining batteries, except for lithium ion. they use less electricity, give the best charge and re-store them at the same time. When using the Tesla chargers with solar panels, they not only re-store your batteries every time you charge, they charge during marginal times and charge with a minimum amount of energy going into them unlike normal charge controllers.
When an RV is plugged into the grid our other chargers would certainly be a vast improvement to normal chargers both in the fact they re-build the batteries each time, they use less juice.
I would be willing to work with the RV ers to get them the most practical, efficient product for their system individually. let me know if you need more detailed information.
Owen"

I wrote him back asking about temperature compensation and actual charging voltages and am awaiting his second response. I am researching this for my own future use and was just trying to share something I believe may be the next great step in battery charging and maintenance, and I DID tell both of the companies I was asking these questions to post to a large group on this forum.