Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #225

iRV2 No Limits Club
It will be interesting to see what sort, if any, reply you get. This is the way you find out whether some one is blowing very expensive smoke or providing a product worth considering.
I am going to post this to the Solar Electric Power Discussion forum and see if any one has information.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #226

Monaco Owners Club
Its probably just a staged battery charger with lots of hype attached. Probably with the same circuitry that our inverter / chargers have. Use the name Tesla and hike up the price. Say its special and you'll most likely hook some poor guy. The guy in the video didn't say anything.
Lets run our rigs on water. I like that one.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
It will be interesting to see what sort, if any, reply you get. This is the way you find out whether some one is blowing very expensive smoke or providing a product worth considering.
I am going to post this to the Solar Electric Power Discussion forum and see if any one has information.
Thanks for the assistance!! This could really benefit all of us if it's as good as what I've read while researching Teslas' circuits and those experimenting with them...But I am somewhat disappointed with the responses so far when I asked for VERY specific information...
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #228

iRV2 No Limits Club
I did a search on the forum and there is some information.
"I got intetrested in these bedini motors a few years back. As a battery charger, they work on high frequency, high voltage spikes to help breakup sulfation.
The theory is the high frequency and harmonics of this essentially shake the sulfates free."

"from a brief read from the link you provided it seems to use a pulse/frequency type of charging and thats exactly what my B&D vector charger which has a desulfate mode does. I have used it to successfully bring up a couple of old wet car batteries a few tenths of a volt but not to like new voltage as this claims. my B&D also runs a 24hour cycle to desulfate and this claims to do it much faster.

"Update,
After a few months of side by side testing against an OB FM, The Tesla switch solar charger is a good pulse De-sulfate`r but an awful charger,"

We will see what sort of response I get to the direct query.

I did find one web site that has a scope trace about 1/3 down the page and there appears to be a high voltage spike, which would help desulfate but I see no real evidence of much else, http://www.examiner.com/breakthrough...ini-conference
Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #229

Ok, guys, I'm guessing these guys are just selling snake oil under Teslas' name. I received no further response from either site. I STILL like what I read on the energetic forum on the Tesla switch for conditioning and charging batteries and may just have to build my own. Sorry for the "false hope"..
Old 08-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #230

So I have read the entire post and HandyBob blog as well. I am a believer in needing 14.8 volts to the battery and would like any comments on the Xantrex C35 controller versus the Morningstar Tristar 45. I intend to use the UniSolar PVL-68 panel with one 110 Amp-Hour battery. I only use 30 amp-hours per day and I have a generator as backup.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Tobey
Old 08-11-2011, 12:16 PM   #231

My experiences with Xantrex have not been happy ones. Stick with Morningstar.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #232

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobey View Post
So I have read the entire post and HandyBob blog as well. I am a believer in needing 14.8 volts to the battery and would like any comments on the Xantrex C35 controller versus the Morningstar Tristar 45. I intend to use the UniSolar PVL-68 panel with one 110 Amp-Hour battery. I only use 30 amp-hours per day and I have a generator as backup.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Tobey

I don;t use either controller, but if you are going to be using 30 AH a day, I'd highly suggest fitting another 110 AH battery in somewhere. Assuming you can keep to the 30 AH limit, you'll still be running it down to 70% or so.

That wouldn't be real terrible, if you could be assured sun everyday, but in the real world you'll probably be running it down below 50% fairly regularly if you are a daily user. Battery life decreases exponentially as you go below 80%, it's not a linear thing. Both for economy's sake, and having that spare capacity in cloudy weather, my first notion would be to up your capacity to at least 220AH.

Otherwise, you'll be burning alot of gas to put little charge in there with the Gen. All this assumes you are a regular user or a full timer. If you just go out on the occasional weekend, and the battery is on a float charge most of it's life, then it wouldn't matter as much.

I full time with 460 AH and 200 watts of solar, and I still often run below 70% even with all the economizing of power I've done. Just a thought, as a battery like that isn't more than $70 at walmart or Sams. Cheap insurance and a good return on investment in battery life...
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #233

Thanks to this thread and much research, I now have 405 watts of solar(3x KD135SX panels) 440ah of storage (4x6v), a Morningstar PWM controller and a TM2025 meter.

The only thing that is bothering me is the Motorhome's converter. Made by Progressive Dynamics (PD9260 w/built in charge wizard). The output is non-adjustable (well, just two settings one for Gell and one for wet). According to their tech support, the converter/charger outputs for wet are 14.4 Boost, 13.6 Regular, and 13.2 Storage mode. Also, because the charger/converter is about 15' away from the batteries, I experience less than the output. I suppose I will live with this because I don't want to change the converter. I will just bulk with the gen or shore power and let the solar finish the job when dry camping.

So, I thank all of you for your experiences and posts - they made the selection process for my installation much easier.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:58 AM   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy_MD View Post
Thanks to this thread and much research, I now have 405 watts of solar(3x KD135SX panels) 440ah of storage (4x6v), a Morningstar PWM controller and a TM2025 meter.

The only thing that is bothering me is the Motorhome's converter. Made by Progressive Dynamics (PD9260 w/built in charge wizard). The output is non-adjustable (well, just two settings one for Gell and one for wet). According to their tech support, the converter/charger outputs for wet are 14.4 Boost, 13.6 Regular, and 13.2 Storage mode. Also, because the charger/converter is about 15' away from the batteries, I experience less than the output. I suppose I will live with this because I don't want to change the converter. I will just bulk with the gen or shore power and let the solar finish the job when dry camping.

So, I thank all of you for your experiences and posts - they made the selection process for my installation much easier.
I got a PD 40 amp charger with about the same battery capacity as you. It works fine when plugged in to mains, although the charging profile tapers off way too early for such a large battery bank. It begins tapering way back into the 20 amp range when the batteries are still only at 60%. I wish it were adjustable too.

The downside to this soft charging profile is, the generator has to run many hours longer than it should. I find that my Hi-Amp alternator (180 Amp Powermaster, with 100 amps at idle) does a better job of pushing bulk amps into the pack when the engine is running.

I've compared the two with my charge-reading ammeter leading into the pack.

If you need to use the generator to do bulk charging often on a pack that large, I'd highly recommend getting a larger charger (100 amp), preferably an adjustable one. It will save you much more gas and wear on the gen, as most of the time it will be running at 25% or less of it's rating. Not efficient. An alternative would be upgrading to the largest Alt you can fit in, and using that.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetboy5776 View Post
I got a PD 40 amp charger with about the same battery capacity as you. It works fine when plugged in to mains, although the charging profile tapers off way too early for such a large battery bank. It begins tapering way back into the 20 amp range when the batteries are still only at 60%. I wish it were adjustable too.

The downside to this soft charging profile is, the generator has to run many hours longer than it should. I find that my Hi-Amp alternator (180 Amp Powermaster, with 100 amps at idle) does a better job of pushing bulk amps into the pack when the engine is running.

I've compared the two with my charge-reading ammeter leading into the pack.

If you need to use the generator to do bulk charging often on a pack that large, I'd highly recommend getting a larger charger (100 amp), preferably an adjustable one. It will save you much more gas and wear on the gen, as most of the time it will be running at 25% or less of it's rating. Not efficient. An alternative would be upgrading to the largest Alt you can fit in, and using that.
That is in interesting observation re the engine alternator and one that I need to observe/measure. My alternator is 130 amp so it might be a viable alternative (vs the Onan running the PD) to bulk charging the bank. Yes, I do wish the PD converter/chargers were more adjustable, and your observations are close to what I measure. [*sigh*]

I've yet to install a high-wattage inverter and this might be an excuse to replace the charger/converter with a charger/converter/inverter. I like the specs of the Magnum MS20XX series - adjustable charge-set points with the addition of the remote panel. The other plus with Magnum is you get a real live tech to answer questions when you call.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #236

Monaco Owners Club
Kathy,
I, like you, have 405 watts of solar and 440 ah of storage and, since following Handy Bob's guidelines on setting up the solar correctly, the solar now brings my battery bank up 100% by early afternoon. I used to bulk charge my batteries and the let the solar finish. Not anymore. I used always start the generator to use the microwave. But now if I'm heating something for 2 minutes or less, I just use the inverter.
You may not have as much sun as I do, so your results may differ.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:48 AM   #237

Now I'm wondering if an alternator driven by an electric motor powered by your generator might be a little more efficient and quicker way to get an occasional charge??
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #238

I have 400 watts of solar, Blue Sky solar boost 50, 675 amps of batteries, and a 2000 watt inverter. Renovated to Handy Bob's criteria in 11/09. With no generator I use everything except A/C. While boondocking I run the microwave for as long as I need it and I run my Electrolux vacuum for up to an hour.

I kept using more and more power after renovation to find the limit of my system. I found it in partial shade with partly cloudy skies. Since then I have tweeked my controler adjustments and gained even more. I do not use anywhere near what is being produced by my system. I hardly conserve power at all. I am now experimenting with running my refrigerator on electric during clear boondocking days to save some LP gas. It looks very promising.

My batteries are almost always fully charged each day. It is very rare that they are not.

I only charge with solar even when on shore power. It does a better job.

If one can not live on 400 watts of solar then there is too much power being used or most likely there is a problem with the solar system. It could also be a poorly adjusted controller.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote