Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #253

Kathy I donot know how to thank you enough. You have answered all my concerns and now I will try it out. Might even add more panels since I have all the math for the system.

With Best Wishes

Ossie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #254

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are serious about using solar, I would use larger wire from the combiner to the charge controller. I would use 6ga or larger. This would make adding panels much easier as you would only have to wire from the new panel to the charge controller. Inexpensive booster cables are a good source of the cable.

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:41 AM   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
For a 130 amp alternator, you would need a minimum of a 2.5 hp motor.
And then get the belt sheves correct for a proper alternator speed.
That estimate might be a tad low.

A good friend setup a six horse diesel motor with a 100A alternator. Under full load it really strains.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #256

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
If you are serious about using solar, I would use larger wire from the combiner to the charge controller. I would use 6ga or larger. This would make adding panels much easier as you would only have to wire from the new panel to the charge controller. Inexpensive booster cables are a good source of the cable.
I meant you would only have to wire from the panels to the combiner.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM   #257
Commercial Member

I found this system that is remote operated. Check out ( Outdoor Solutions ) sun tracter. Looks very promising of a fix to not getting on roof every day. Has any one using this system and how is it working. Is it durable? Thanks for any input. For future installations.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #258

I plan on adding solar to my present coach to learn on before I build a cabin and eventually buy my retirement RV, both of which will also be totally solar powered. (Except for the propane systems!) When I wire my system I will use the largest wire that will fit the connectors throughout the system leaving plenty of room for expansion as well as getting all the current I can from my system. I plan to use some sort of tilt system but will ensure I have enough panels that trackers will not be needed. I like to keep it simple but effective.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #259

Quote:
Your calculations are correct. You could help by going to LED lights. You can help your situation by adding additional panels. The Harbor Freight aren't a real good value, but you could add a 135 watt panel for $325 to $350 and still probaly use the charge controller you have. You would then have 180 watts of solar panels and close to 10 amps in full sun light. You can't really count on 7 hours of full output per day unless you move the panels to track the sun.

Actually, prices have been plummeting on Solar this year. A 195 watt panel (the one I have) is only $246 at Sun Electronics. The have warehouses in Miami and Phoenix. I bought my mine in Miami and only have good things to say about them. Very helpful and friendly.

To the OP with just 45 watts....you DEFINITELY need to upgrade. As a fulltimer living off the grid, my panel JUST keeps my 460 AH system topped off, and that's with careful conservation.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 AM   #260

Monaco Owners Club
Wetboy
Can you tell me which model that panel for $246.00 is. I think thats a great deal but I can't find it on Sun Electronics's website. Im looking for a 195 watt panel at $246.00, right?
Old 09-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #261

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I see them at $261 at the moment...
Old 09-22-2011, 04:18 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcampbell View Post
Wetboy
Can you tell me which model that panel for $246.00 is. I think thats a great deal but I can't find it on Sun Electronics's website. Im looking for a 195 watt panel at $246.00, right?

It's the Sun brand...(Their house brand). Made with cosmetically imperfect cells but the output and the warranty is the same. The prices fluctuate a bit, so it may be $261 now as the post above states. Still an awesome deal compared to historical prices per watt. Mine is still going strong after 3 years and alot of abuse, as I often set it up on the ground and reposition it 4 times a day to track the sun. I wanna get all the amp hours I paid for! (It was a quite a hit with the hippie college girls at Spring Break!) Plus, this allows me to park in the shade when possible and clean it regularly. Panels get dusty quick if there is no rain...

BTW, if this is something you're considering ( a portable setup), get two smaller panels of equal output if the price is comparable per watt. Makes toting it in and out of the RV (not to mention stowing it away) alot easier. I manage with my 40lb+ panel, but I'm a gym rat so for me it's just morning calisthenics. An older (or just lazier) person might have a problem with that...
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #263

solar panels

Do you know of a good place to get solar panels? We need new ones on a new rv. Had them on a previous one. Live in OR and will soon be enroute to AZ.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:56 AM   #264

Newmar Owners Club
Sun Electronics...

Have a number of warehouses including in Phoenix where you can pick up to save shipping.
I just purchased and picked up 3 (high voltage/blemished but fully guaranteed) panels for $1.04/per watt.
Total just over $600 for nearly 600 watts of panels. Only kicker with this approach is you have to get a more expensive (MPPT) controller to handle the higher voltage. But it was a net wash vs going with the more expensive low voltage panels and a cheaper (some say less efficient) controller.

'05 Dutch Star 4011
chapdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #265

Ford Super Duty Owner
I picked mine up at the Sun Electronics Warehouse in Phoenix
Old 12-04-2011, 06:51 PM   #266

Quote:
I picked mine up at the Sun Electronics Warehouse in Phoenix

I don't usually buy from places that say "Call for Pricing". They more often than not, have high pressure sales people that try to talk you into more than what you need.

I have good luck buying from http://www.sunelec.com/charge-controllers-c-22.html

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote