Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
An update to my post:

I learned that Morningstar controlers are better than and less expensive than the Blue Sky unit I used. Handy Bob does fix solar that is not working right for a reasonable fee. E-mail him if you need his services. His e-mail address is on his web site. I just spent the 4th of July weekend with him. He tweeked my controls and I am getting more power. I hardly used what my system was producing and now I have even more. He and his wife were very gracious hosts. He does indeed live off grid and collects and uses filtered rain water. His wife was sewing and using the iron on solar power and like me they use their microwave. No generator needed.
Where is Bob located? Maybe if i am passing through, i can hire Bob to help me out, G
GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #16

I am sworn to not divulge that information. Contact him through his web site via e-mail.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:01 PM   #17

Handy Bob has it ......

I rewied my toyhauler a second time to meet Handy Bob's specs.......Best mod I ever did......Handy Bob truly knows what works.......While there are more than one way to "skin a cat" so to speak and many other people have different ideas that may work as well.....dollar for dollar...Handy Bob's system gives you the most bang for your buck.....
Old 08-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #18

I am glad I could lead you in the right direction. Solar does work if it is done correctly as you know. Now you must spread the word !!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:28 PM   #19

Update:

I spent 6 weeks boondocking in a National Forest this summer. Power was not a problem. I had all I needed and then some. Sewer and water was the problem. True boondockers do not let that stop them.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you hit REPLY you see that globe with the chain link on it..

Click that and enter your URL in the pop-up box LIke I did on the next line

http:/handybobsolar.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/solar-power-that-works/
Old 09-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
So I'm getting ready to start the Solar Power journey for our RV. A question for Handy Bob or his posse.

The coach has a Trace Legend 1512SB Inverter/Charger. This appears to mean it will produce 1500 watts and has input voltage of 12V, if I am reading the owners manual correctly.

It also has the 3 stage battery charger with bulk, absorption and float stages. It's wired up for the battery temperature senor as well and I checked to ensure the sensor (not the inverter/charger) is in the batter compartment. Right between 2 of the 4, 6 volt batteries. One thing I did notice is that they are interstate batteries and are coming up on 2 years old.

Based on Bob's reading (and it was awesome) should I upgrade this item when adding solar? By the way I'm planning to order the Trimetric 2020.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:32 PM   #22

If your inverter/charger works good and does not have a big idle draw when nothing is turned on......(check with your Trimetric 2020).....and 1500w is enough power for you.....I see no reason why you should change it....unless money in not an issue?......Almost all the new units are pure sine wave.......mine is older and is modified sine wave and I have found very little that does not work well with it......
Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks. So it looks like adding the Morningstar 45 amp controller is next.

Any suggestions on panels? I've read a lot about Kyocera, Sharp, Evergreen. Not a clue about which is good bad, but the prices are all over the place!

I'm looking at around 350-400 watts total.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:36 AM   #24

I like the Kyocera.....mostly because that is what I have......I bought the ones with the junction box attached to the back as it made wiring easier for me......they seem to be well made and look like new after three years.....
Old 09-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #25

You will need a separate battery temperature sensor for the solar controler.

I no longer need to use the charger portion of my inverter. Even if I am on shore power the charger is off. My solar does a much better job of charging the batteries than the inverter/charger does. My solar controler brings the voltage up to 14.8 V whereas my charger does not. It only goes up to 14.3 volts.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Just pulled out my inverter owners manual and it is somewhat adjustable for battery type. It supposedly puts out 14.7 v for wet cell batteries so I'll start with that.

Wow...after looking at the cost of the solar panels, I'm a bit gunshy. Pretty pricey upgrage.
Old 09-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #27

I got much cheaper panels from Solar Panels - Sunelec : Solar Panels 58¢/W, PV Systems $2.40/W

My latest panel was the house brand 190 watt one for $340. There are even cheaper price/watt panels on their site. I personally went down to Miami to pick up my panel and the folks there were great.

I was iffy on these panels being so cheap, but after using it for a year now, I can tell you they are top-notch in output and workmanship.
Wetboy5776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:08 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetboy5776 View Post
I got much cheaper panels from Solar Panels - Sunelec : Solar Panels 58¢/W, PV Systems $2.40/W

My latest panel was the house brand 190 watt one for $340. There are even cheaper price/watt panels on their site. I personally went down to Miami to pick up my panel and the folks there were great.

I was iffy on these panels being so cheap, but after using it for a year now, I can tell you they are top-notch in output and workmanship.
Thanks for the info. What hardware did you use to mount and run the wiring for these? It seems that the 'kit's that companies sell seem very expensive.

Sounds like we need a controller, a useage monitor, 6 gauge wire, some fuses,e tc. It woudl be great if we had a definitive list of the key items because it looks like its cheaper than buying a kit.