Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 07:49 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
At about the same cost you can get a Weboost cell phone signal booster. I use mine in rural Arizona and it increases my signal from barely 1 bar to 4 bars in and around my RV.

The Garmin looks great for those very isolated areas, if that is where you plan to go. Those places are often not easy to access with a large RV.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #16

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1070.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	524.2 KB
ID:	249687

Me and the cat. Solar, water bladder, sewer tote, macerator, catalytic heater. Trailer has modded chassis. Often only smaller trailers with ambitious owners can park close to me. Thinking of getting satellite.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAMTBR View Post
Attachment 249687

Me and the cat. Solar, water bladder, sewer tote, macerator, catalytic heater. Trailer has modded chassis. Often only smaller trailers with ambitious owners can park close to me. Thinking of getting satellite.
Living the dream man! I envy you. I have to wait another 4-9 years to go myself. These last 4-9 years of work I have left is 40% 401k donation just so I am sure I will have enough for 30-40 years of minimal living. Plan to retire at 49-54 years old. I am going to be by myself with my kitty too. I just rescued her from a 1 day old kitten a year ago, so I told her that she's my RV kitty, so I am getting her used to car rides and such.

I have another cat that's the best thing ever to happen to me but she's 18 so I don't think she will be around to take the trip with me although she's very healthy and her only ailment is arthritis in one of her toes and a bit of hearing loss. Her eyes look good, and joints/muscles all look good. I have a good cat gym at home for her so she keeps really active. But it sucks that I won't be able to take her along because she LOVES to follow me around wherever I am so I know she would enjoy it too. I take her outside and she goes on walks with me trotting right at my side. Haven't trained the new one for that yet. She does follow me and come when called, but when I go on walks she will see something and chase after it, and then I end up catching up to her on the way back home.

The desert too! That is my favorite place in the world.. I LOVE the desert and plan to boondock 100% of the time in a desert location or high desert with some trees.
Pyropete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
The biggest challenge to your plan will be finding a decent cell signal out in the boonies. I have a Weboost that helps in rural Arizona, but much of the isolated parts of the country have no service. Then you have to go to satellite internet. So it is doable, but you won’t get great speeds.

Most boondocking sites are on federal lands - BLM, National Forests, etc. Most will require that you move 25 miles or more every 14 days.

You can make anything work if you are willing to work hard to find it.
Hopefully within the next 4-9 years there will be something like 5g so pretty much the USA should have 100% coverage everywhere. I had planned to just use my mobile as my service/router, and connect either Bluetooth to computer or wifi.

For my whole life I have been alone pretty much. I have brothers and sisters, but when I had moved out at 18 I had never really had anything beyond the occasional girlfriend, so when I go it will just be me and my kitty and puppy (waiting until I go to get puppy because they have low life expectancy.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:24 PM   #19

5G will not be a big help in the boonies. 5G propagate even shorter distances so more cell towers are required. It won't be that common away from dense urban areas.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:00 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The way technology is changing so fast who knows what we'll be using in 4 years, let alone nine! I’d make that my last purchase before going on the road.

I understand the solitary life, but my favorite pastime is gardening, so I have 2 home bases - an acre of Arizona desert and my daughter's Seattle area backyard. I live in my RV where I have all that I need and it's all monkey proofed. I'm fine with just me, my garden and the furkids. I enjoy others in small amounts but I could never live with anyone again. My favorite line is - men should be rented, not bought.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #21

Quote:
The way technology is changing so fast who knows what we'll be using in 4 years, let alone nine! I’d make that my last purchase before going on the road.

I understand the solitary life, but my favorite pastime is gardening, so I have 2 home bases - an acre of Arizona desert and my daughter's Seattle area backyard. I live in my RV where I have all that I need and it's all monkey proofed. I'm fine with just me, my garden and the furkids. I enjoy others in small amounts but I could never live with anyone again. My favorite line is - men should be rented, not bought.
Definitely. 10 years ago I would have been struggling to find any internet coverage through the phone hehe. iphone was brand new. No Netflix, or other streaming services. Now I can hook my phone to my computer and use my phones internet to stream whatever I want (unlimited data). So that would fix TV and Internet for me.

As for solitary living, I hear you. It's not for everyone. I have been alone my whole adult life and I am fine being alone, but mainly I was wondering if there is a point where being TOO along for too long does anything. Meaning staying in one place on BLM for months, and maybe seeing a few people in that time. I doubt it will be an issue because I hear the boondocking is getting more and more popular so I assume I will see more people than I thought.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:05 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most BLM and National Forest Service land has a 14 day limit for camping in one spot. Then you are supposed to move 25 miles or more before setting up camp for another 2 weeks. That’s s not always enforced.

The BLM also has long term visitor areas (LTVAs) where you can stay from 9/15 to 4/15 each winter. There is an $180 fee but they have a dump station, water station and dumpsters that you have use of. Also, you can move to a different LTVA without paying more. Most are in Arizona and California.

https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizon...m-frequently-0
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 08-01-2019, 06:18 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAMTBR View Post
Attachment 249687

Interesting setup. What was done to the chassis? What length is the trailer?
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #24

Solitary Boondocking

23 ft box. About a 2ft tray on the rear welded to the frame. But the frame folded going through the Sierra Nevadas. Frame repair and Dexter K71- 652 suspension kit raised the trailer close to 2in. Weighed the trailer and now needed new 5200lb axles and springs. The brakes were crap anyway. So..... a combination of fail on my part and crap US build quality.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1149.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	595.9 KB
ID:	257345Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1150.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	752.2 KB
ID:	257346Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1156.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	508.5 KB
ID:	257348
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 09:42 AM   #25

Quote:
Most BLM and National Forest Service land has a 14 day limit for camping in one spot. Then you are supposed to move 25 miles or more before setting up camp for another 2 weeks. That’s s not always enforced.

The BLM also has long term visitor areas (LTVAs) where you can stay from 9/15 to 4/15 each winter. There is an $180 fee but they have a dump station, water station and dumpsters that you have use of. Also, you can move to a different LTVA without paying more. Most are in Arizona and California.

https://www.blm.gov/documents/arizon...m-frequently-0
Buddy was saying that they don't enforce this in many states. He had stayed near Silver City NV for approx. 1 year (off and on. had moved around a bit and spent a couple weeks here in CA before going back), and nobody bugged him about any of it.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
B.O.A.T.

Break Out Another Thou$and. IOW, a hole in the water you try to fill with money.

RVing is a slighter cheaper version; how much (if any) cheaper depends your choice of RV type.
I find that Rving is more expensive than boating
DRvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
I have a Garmin InReach. It gives you ability to text message via Satellite in case of emergencies. I have the most basic data plan so mainly use if I had an emergency either hiking or in my RV when out of cell coverage.

If I’m in areas with no cell coverage for an extended time, I’ll use it to periodically text my kids to let them know I’m ok.

The unit also provides navigation for hiking.
+1. We use the Inreach as well to let the kids know we are ok. Just enough communication to keep them at ease.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRvt View Post
I find that Rving is more expensive than boating
For boondocking? Reason I ask is that my best friend who has been doing this for a couple years now in his popup is surviving on his disability of like $1,300 a month and being alone he does not have many expenses besides food/gas/propane. When he stays in one spot for a while he spends maybe $150 on food a month and about $100 a month on gas and propane. Gas is for generator. He's more "rustic" than I am. I have known him since I was 5 years old, and he isn't into all that electronic stuff except for his laptop, and occasional TV (uses laptop as TV more than his real TV, so he doesn't have to charge it for long, and it lasts a long time.

Tags
boondocking