Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 02-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #15
I will try Emailing them again, but I think the sales sites are listing 1/4 power output, noise rating.

I did find 1 review, where they said it was louder then Honda/Yahama, at full output. Another reviewer returned it for the same reason.

Still shopping

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #16

frizzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:45 AM   #17
I recieved a reply from Champion.

They say the 3100 genetator noise level at zero load (0) is 58db at 23 feet. At full load it is 68 db. The sound level at different loads varries between 58 and 68 db.

I feel that there is some deceptive advertising by their dealers. Who runs a generator with "0" load ?

Yup, there she is, sure is quiet, sitting there with nothing plugged in.

The jury is in, time for a HONDA.
Old 02-12-2015, 06:03 AM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I used a eu-2000 Honda to power a 6000btu A/C, and it would run for 10/12 hours on 1 gallon of gas! And with it running right under the A/C unit, you could not even hear it run! You had to touch it or look at the lights to see if it was on! The Honda's and Yamaha both come with battery charging cables also. I used it for two years, then gave it to my son, who is still using it! Great choice, getting the Honda! Rail!
Retired, and "Always on Holiday!"
1996 Monaco Windsor 38' "Mona"
guardrail53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 05:32 PM   #19

the sound levels are not comparing apples to apples ... Honda measures at only 9 feet, not 23 - that's a huge difference in terms of sound levels. Other manufacturers measure at 21 feet.

BTW, I got the 9 feet directly off of a Honda webpage listing the specs for all of their generators.

Honda EU3000iS Model Info | Super Quiet 3000 Watt Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

Click on the "learn more" button for the features ... and right at the bottom of the pop-up it states 9 feet.

scubastevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
Quite often I think some Honda and/or Yahama owners are also stock holders or just trying to vindicate their expenditures. The Champion units are "inverter" type generators. They are not the loud contractor style units that are loud. Someone said 10 dba is a big difference....true....but the difference between $749 and the cost of a Honda/Yahama for +/- 3000 watts is a very big difference!!!!

I have heard all 3 brands running...they are in fact very similar in noise levels.
Another point is when you pair two 2000 watt units to equal one 3100 watt Champion unit you might discover that you have created even more noise!!!
Cost per watt...Champion wins!!!

Buy what makes you happy and what you can afford.
Read owner reviews. Ther is also a user video of a Champion 3100 watt unit up and running that might open your eyes...or...should I say your ears???

Now let's compare beers...mine is colder than yours!!

Happy Camping!
Boomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #21
We get it, you already own it. Good luck with it.

I am just pointing out the " Marketing techniques" of some companies.

I don't think Honda or Yahama are trying to price gouge us, they just can't produce the same quality product, for less.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:03 AM   #22
People talk about cost per watt to own and it is relative but when you sell and get most of your money back then that is the final cost to you for the service you got minus the cost of gas to run it. I'm selling my older 3500 watt Champion that I've had for 6 years for $200.00 with the wheel and handle kit and Champion cover. I bought it at a Cabelas door buster sale for $279.99 and another $50.00 or so for the wheel kit and maybe $30.00 for the cover. So for $359.99 I used the generator for 6 years and will get $200.00 back for a cost to own price of $159.99. Probably less than when some day I want to sell my twin Honda EU2000I's but they are quieter and more portable, and I'm not getting stronger as I get older. I had trouble sleeping while camping with that Champion running wide open, hoping I'll sleep better with these plus the Honda will idle when charging the batteries during the day. The Champion was WOT charging the batteries, I won't miss it much but I will say it never let me down and always had power.
rlwithrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:02 AM   #23
I had a Honda 3000 at the lake a few years back. We could hardle hear it on the other side of the trailer. Another camper started up a generator 400 feet away, and we could easily hear it!

Cheaper per watt? Much.

Ruins the weekend for everyone nearby? Yes

mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote