Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbarnard View Post
Thanks for opening this up for discussion!!

I drove OTR for 6 years and my husband currently drives regionally. Please please please do NOT take up truck spaces. Trucks can't park anywhere. They don't fit. Their trailers are 53' long and truckers MUST have their rest. The government has mandated that they get 10 hours of rest. If they don't then they could pay heavy fines ---- or God forbid, hurt someone because they were forced to drive tired. There are FEW spots for trucks to park in America. In some states you can use the on/off ramps, but many states are not allowing that - besides, it's not safe.

Trucks cant pull into a Walmart shopping center or a grocery store parking lot. I was forced many many many nights to drive when I really needed rest simply because the spots were taken. When driving 11 hours a day and with the possibility of loading/unloading freight during the day, rest is so needed and the truckstops are so very crowded now. Sometimes just getting a much needed shower is an impossibility due to overcrowded truckstops.

Good topic. Thanks for opening this up for discussion!
Dawn,
It looks to me like there are not enough spaces in rest areas for the number of trucks on the road. We have stopped in ones that have separate truck and RV lots and find by morning the RV area is full with both. We understand this because in the RV we are at play while they are at work and as you stated are required to stop. There are also rest areas that have signs for cars in one lot then trucks, trailers and RV in another. We will only stay there if there are plenty of spaces open.

Same goes for truck stops. At Flying Js we shoot for the RV spots. Only one time have we used the truck area because we had both had it driving and there was lots of room.

I must say i do not envy OTR truckers. I see how people drive and can't imagine how doing that day in and day out can be much fun. After a few days I have had it with driving and would like a few days still. Can't imagine a few years.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #16

If you do your homework like I do, Walmart and truck stops are the last resort for overnighting as there are nice, free, quiet, and scenic camp grounds all across the country and not too far off your route. These CG's can be found on the internet and in published reference books and pamplets.

ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #17

There are many websites just for free or cheap over-nighting, a search will reveal several pages of results. We have over-nighted in church parking lots when they are empty, shopping centers, big box hardware stores, etc. after asking.
To my chagrin, several times we have awoke to discover semi's and/or RV's parked on both sides of us-in an otherwise empty parking lot. Guess it was a case of monkey see, monkey do, __ or, safety in numbers.
BTW I have met many many very tired truckers, but never a rude one, in parking lots.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #18

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Boeing Guy,
The only fueling places I know that have a place for RVs to park is the Flying J. If you want to stop by 3 PM then you might get a RV spot. Much later and the people who frequent these places have staked their claim for the night.
I guess that would depend on the Flying J, Gary. I have arrived at the Hope Hull, Alabama FJ several times late in the evening, and there is always a spot available. Granted, it's only two hours from home, but when you've driven all day from north of Atlanta and the eyes start to dim, a few hours in the FJ lot makes sure I get home in one piece. The last 40 miles for me are two lane rural when I am coming from the Big Peach.

The FJ in Gulfport, Mississippi also had space late in the evening, during Thanksgiving week, no less. If you check out the new PFJ web site, you will see the management is actively courting the RV community, and says you are welcome to park free of charge. When I rest at a Flying J, I usually get breakfast the next morning and load up the cooler with sandwiches and snacks. I figure that is only fair.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
I guess that would depend on the Flying J, Gary. I have arrived at the Hope Hull, Alabama FJ several times late in the evening, and there is always a spot available. Granted, it's only two hours from home, but when you've driven all day from north of Atlanta and the eyes start to dim, a few hours in the FJ lot makes sure I get home in one piece. The last 40 miles for me are two lane rural when I am coming from the Big Peach.

The FJ in Gulfport, Mississippi also had space late in the evening, during Thanksgiving week, no less. If you check out the new PFJ web site, you will see the management is actively courting the RV community, and says you are welcome to park free of charge. When I rest at a Flying J, I usually get breakfast the next morning and load up the cooler with sandwiches and snacks. I figure that is only fair.
Try getting in late at the St. Augustine FJ though
Old 05-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Hi and welcome.I just did a 2,500 mile trip and stayed at truck stops listen to people here, don't park in the truck area they are in and out all night and because you won't get any sleep. it is easy to spot where the rv are unless you stop way early you will see where the rv park. enjoy your travels and come back and post
Old 05-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #21

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Try getting in late at the St. Augustine FJ though
That would involve driving on I-95, a road that I would travel only at the point of a gun. I lived too long in south Florida, and had to drive I-95 from Ft. Lauderdale to New Haven when I was going to college in New England. I avoid it like the plague.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #22

I think that Flying J in St. Augustine is always nuts --- like 24 hours a day! LOL. Actually, anything on that road is nuts I think.
dawnbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:11 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
over nights

People keep posting about Flying Js. There is one about 5 miles from my house and I use it often for gas for my cars. I usually fill or top off the MH with diesel on my way home. During a recent trip to New Orleans, we fueled at Love's and either Pilot or maybe petrol or something like that - big truck stop places. Are FJs the only truck stops that alllow RV parking? We have never taken more than two days to get to a destination and i wouldn't want to make a habit of staying free except to grab a quick nights sleep. My neighbor told me they drove 20 minutes out of the way to get to a CG, arrived at 8pm, ate, showered, slept and was gone by 8 the next morning. They didn't use it but the CG showers took quarters for hot water. They paid $43 dollars. That's 3.50 an hour. They have a 5th wheel, so now they stay free, unless they need AC.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have stayed at rest stops and truck stops on occasion. We park at either only if they are half full. Taking a truckers space to us is bad. We check our next exit guide for a walmart and head there first. The walmart's are not that far off the road and we don't feel we are taking a truck space. Walmart is quiter also.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I wouldn't want to park with the trucks anyway... I have seen some trailers get bumped as a tractor pulled into a tight spot and the edge of the trailer caught the other trailer... RV's fiberglass would not stand too much of a chance

Plus they are way to noisy for me.
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:45 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I have seen a few of the newer trucks have a small generator that runs very quiet instead of idling all night. Must use much less fuel also.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Dawn said.
Dagwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #28

I have a campground and am thinking about adding some "Overnight" hookups that just have electric. You would be more than welcome to use the dump station and showers but the electric only sites would be 10$ less a night.

Any thoughts were about 2 miles off the expressway and have a good business