Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:35 AM   #1
Suggestions for boondocking in CO?

We are in our second season of owning a travel trailer, and we really enjoy boondocking. We found a few nice spots last season, but wondering if anyone has any recommendations that we can add to the list for this season? Since I'm still pretty new to this, I'm not sure if good boondocking places are like good fishing holes- you don't disclose them for fear of having a nice spot ruined by other people! We've done all of ours in the Pike and San Isabel national forests, but know there is so much more out there. I use motor vehicle use maps, supplied by the Forest Service, locate roads that can be used, and then check Google Maps to get a rough idea what the area is like. Unfortunately, what I don't want to encounter, and what Google Maps can't tell me, is what the road is like. I would like to avoid getting to a place that seems good, only to have to turn around because the road is rutted out, too narrow, or too many low hanging trees to get through with our trailer. (I could do scouting trips without the trailer, but some spots may be several hours away, so if I can avoid that, it would be nice!)
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated- you can even keep them vague so I don't wreck your secret gem! Thanks!

bigben7728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try BLM or Forest service maps some of them show road conditions or maintained type. I would not try the jeep roads! We do have the advantage of unhooking the truck to explore!

Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
38.50945, -105.96249 Few miles east of Salida on the river.

Not much shade but OK for a couple of nights. Official boondocking site, usually a few other rigs there.
Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
I've spent a few days boondocking near Taylor Park Reservoir. They do have a couple of private cgs with hookups, but we've always done the dispersed campsites that are plentiful there. Beautiful area.
Jeff, Catherine and Turner|2008 Damon Outlaw 3611|W24 w/ 8.1L Chevy hauling in the garage 3 quads,2 dirtbikes,1 Rzr900xp & 1 sewing machine based in central AZ
JeffAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Get the Motor Vehicle Use Maps for the National Forests you might be interested in. They show areas along roads available for dispersed camping. When you arrive in the area go to the District Ranger Station and talk to them about possible places. They should generally know about road conditions.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
38.50945, -105.96249 Few miles east of Salida on the river.

Not much shade but OK for a couple of nights. Official boondocking site, usually a few other rigs there.
Is this the place just down from the campground (can't remember the name)?
Tim, Tara and Canyon - 'TnT' (& C now...)
2015 Thor Outlaw 37LS w/FJ Cruiser Toad
Columbia 400, 1967 Corvette, KTM 350 EXC-f, TTR 125 LE, XR50 for toys
MonkeyClaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #7
Several bd spots just out of Silverton on the way to Animas Fork or on the other side of Alpine Loop near Lake City by San Cristabol lake! Taylor Park has several places toward Tin Cup, which is one of our favorite places. There are some places past Tin Cup. Go to stop sign and turn left toward Mirror lake. However, this is ATV/OHV mecca and there will be some dust to deal with, so I would pick one farther off the main dirt roads. Lots of riding/sightseeing at both locations. We're going to try our luck at finding a spot near Leadville. Good Luck
P.S We are in a 40' dp mh with a 28' enclosed trailer and either place has a good road in.
klcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
San Isabel National Forest in Castle Rock Gulch off of CR 188 near Johnson Center. Scout out the area. we were there for 5 days and saw 2 other vehicles pass by 4th of july. I rate it a 9 out of 10. I have many more but will only give up a few
We were next to a grove of Aspens with a canyon wall as our front yard.
2007 National Sea Breeze
rjsupersonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:24 AM   #9
East of Rifle, the Newcastle/Buford rd. Runs through national forest. Lots of nice places to camp. Used to deer hunt there.

Paradox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
Jackfish, we are leaving for Oshkosh air show next week. See you hail from Madison. We plan on spending most summer/fall in your area with traveling friends from Virginia (we are in Texas). Can you recommend some "don't miss" activities or sightseeing.

RAHALL is offline   Reply With Quote