Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2014, 01:17 PM   #1

Take the truck camper off or keep it on?

Hi All,
We're planning a road trip to Alaska this summer. In the areas where we will be staying a few days should we take the camper off or go exploring the town with the camper on. It seemed to be a lot of work to get the camper on the truck so I'm inclined to keep it on. Also, any tips for "marking/saving your camp spot" while you're out and about would be appreciated.

Tony and Lisa, f350 crewcab
Alpenlite 11' tc
Lisareach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #2

Just thought , I'd say Hi. Sorry I can't help with your question , but I'm sure others, with answers, will be along soon.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:56 PM   #3

cheap lawn chair with polite sign stating taken or some parks will give you a orange road cone or get your own road cone. table cloth on table if there is one. just make the space look being used.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If in a CG/Resort are they not reserved @ the office? I have never been to a Cg that you pick the spot ,they have always told us where to park. Now if Boondocking that's a different story, No comment on that one, only Boon docked at the father-in laws
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

No different then a class B or C with no toad. Most class As have toad.
Most State CG give you a tag to place on a post. Better be there if checker comes around or he might claim the site empty. I see many leaving their sewer hose on site. Who will steel a dirty hose.
Better cap it, if unhooked or it smells all over the CG.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #6

While its nice to drive the truck alone, its lots of work to take off. While touring the area it will be nice to have the bathroom and fill frige on the way back.
Have fun, Alaska is great
Old 03-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Barbara S.
I would say to leave the camper on the truck as long as it won't be a problem with parking. Leave the water hose and possibly sewer hose connected at the site. Also a cheap lawn chair in the middle of the site helps to make it look "taken". A tablecloth on the picnic table and anything else you are prepared to possibly walk off can be left at the campsite.
Good Sam Charter Life member/FMCA/SI/Escapees/Thousand Trails
Barbara S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #8

I'm not sure I understand the concern here, are you planning on staying in campgrounds or staying in turnouts along the highway ?
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:10 AM   #9

We just recently traded our Lance 981 Max for a TT, but we trucked camped frequently for many years.

Early on we had a Suzuki Samurai TOAD that allowed us to keep the TC mounted and still be mobile. We sold that several years ago and from that point removed the camper pretty much whenever we were going to be camped for more than one night.

I got very good at taking it on and off. It was much easier to drive around in the truck, more convenient to enter and exit the camper when it was off the truck. Oh yeah, you didn't have to worry about the height when driving to some out of the way place. (I almost took the telephone system out at a remote Indian reservation with the camper once.)

As with everything else, practice makes perfect. It would take me about 10 minutes to remove the camper and probably 30 to get it back on. I had Atwood remote controlled jacks and quick releases on my Happijack tie downs. Those make a world of difference.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:23 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
It won't take long to get good at taking the camper off and on if you find the places you wish to explore and you will. There are places you will want to go that are not able to be accessed with the camper on. either way enjoy and go slow there is so much to see and do. As soon as you hit Alaska go to a Safeway or Carr's and get a saver 2 for1 book. $99 but you will make that up on the first day cruise or lots of other tours and out door activities.

LEN
Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 AM   #11

Tony and Lisa
Back in late '80s bought a Lance camper w/electric jacks planning to take the Lance off at a campground (back then wanted to get as far away from things as possible) and use just the truck until leaving for the next spot. Worked fine until I tried to take the Lance off at a pretty unlevel site. I thought I could level the Lance and have DW move the truck, but with too much weight on one side, one front jack buckled and tripped a breaker so the jacks wouldn't operate. I have no idea how DW backed that big Ford under the Lance before it fell, or why I was stupid enough to stand there and try to hold more than 3,500 lbs of Lance up, but she did and I wasn't killed. God protects fools and drunks and I don't drink much, so...
Anyway, with the truck now sitting underneath the Lance, but not touching it, I decided to get the hand crank for the jacks. Where was it? I put it in the storage bin on one side of the bed in the 'overhang', so I hadda crawl all the way forward in a swaying camper to get it. Cranked the Lance down and secured it to the truck. But I changed my mind about taking the Lance off unless the site was very level. Hey, its not my fault I got this old! Our Ford was HD 4x4 and stock was pretty far off the ground. Something to consider.
We loved that Lance and it had everything our motorhome has now, except space and a comfortable place to sit for long periods. Back then we didn't sit that much, but the space did wear on us. Also, things change--we no longer want to 'hide' away from things, and now have a movable condo we park and explore the area in our CRV. Enjoy your slide in!