Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Tesla Power Wall

Tesla has released a new 7KW daily cycle battery with a built in charge controller that is small and lite enough to hang on a wall, upto 9 of them can be hooked together if need be, and they cost only $3000 each. I wonder if this would be a better choice than the very expensive lithium battery banks for our RV solar setups ??

Tesla Powerwall

MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Light enough and built well for a residential wall, but a residence rarely get the chance to bounce and vibrate down the road. I'll let someone else test this use before I get too excited.

Old 08-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #3

At "only" $3000 each, I will wait a long time.
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
In case anyone is interested in this, you're a couple months too late. They are sold out for about a year (maybe more by now).
Tesla's Powerwall is already sold out through middle of 2016
Old 08-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Light enough and built well for a residential wall, but a residence rarely get the chance to bounce and vibrate down the road. I'll let someone else test this use before I get too excited.
Good point, I had not thought it out that far.
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #6

And don't forget you'll need to step down the high voltage output; so you'll need another inverter as well. That said, it could certainly be an interesting option for boondocking/dry camping.

Steve
Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
And don't forget you'll need to step down the high voltage output; so you'll need another inverter as well. That said, it could certainly be an interesting option for boondocking/dry camping.

Steve
That's all fine and well but what do you need in the way of recharging this monster? Solar would require massive panels to fill it in a reasonable time, genny, meh, noisy in the boonies is not good, going home and plugging in,,, not so much for fulltimers. Storage is only half of the issue but for someone that boondocks for 2 or 3 days at a time and spends a week at home it may eliminate the need for a genny or solar. The down side is that you need a good stepdown transformer (heavy) and a good inverter to handle your entire unit including AC although a true booner will not use AC.

check this out http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/elec...Calculator.htm
Old 08-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
No but the batteries were developed for the cars. Home use is the extra's so to speak.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #9

We have 8.6 kW-hrs (48 V nominal or 9.6 kW-hrs at 54 V actual) of LFP and we have harvested 8.7 kW-hrs from solar on a bright day at 8000' in mid-June so solar can easily charge a Tesla 7 kW-hr battery suite.

We have 1.4 kW of solar and could place another 700 W on our 34' 5th wheel if we thought there was a need. We didn't really need to use 8.7 kW-hrs, just wanted to see how much we could harvest so we ran hot water, fridge and a/c off and on during the day.

We have a friend who plans to put over 2 kW on his camper and motorcycle trailer combined. He is not quite sure why he wants to do this other than he can and the cost of panels is so low and he loves to DIY.

Have never used our 1 kW generator in the boonies so things are quiet and the wild life pretty much ignores us. Have up to 25 hummers on the feeders at a time: Black-chinned, Broad-tailed, Rufous and Calliope.
Reed and Elaine
Old 08-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
No but the batteries were developed for the cars. Home use is the extra's so to speak.
First, are we certain the same batteries that they put in the vehicles are being built into the home unit? Second, how about the box the batteries come in and all of the various accoutrement, can it take the abuse of bouncing and shaking down the road?

The first one, it's likely, unless they decided to use a different less expensive design in order to possibly increase profits. Second, I'll wait for someone else to crack one open and check, or the Tesla folks approve it for RV use.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

[QUOTE=Mentor;2678343]That's all fine and well but what do you need in the way of recharging this monster? Solar would require massive panels to fill it in a reasonable time, genny, meh, noisy in the boonies is not good, going home and plugging in,,,

I would think a person could go with some solar, some gennie and..( maybe soon if tesla decides to bother with it) using the tesla supercharging stations located around the country.

Tesla could very easy make an adapter that plugs into those stations and lets and rver pay for a quick recharge.
Use of those quick charge stations is included in the cost of a tesla car.

The home wall thing is just a bettery, Not a lot different than what is in the cars already so it can handle the bouncing and easy ( for the rocket scientist at tesla) to make it so they can take solar charge, genni charge, grid charge, or tesla supercharge.

I just think tesla is not really interested in the rv market as it is kinda small compared to the home and car market.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM   #12

The RV market in the US is just getting interested in LFP. Have been reading Australian caravan fora and found out that many of the caravan (RV) manufacturers there are now offering LFP as an option. One manufacturer now sells 80% of their caravans with this option. The Aussies primarily dry camp, RVs are generally much smaller than in US, and the weight advantage of LFP is considerable.

It is likely that the Tesla batter is an NCA (lithium, nickel, cobalt, aluminum oxide) type battery which does have a great power to weight capacity than does LFP.
Reed and Elaine

Tags
power