Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:34 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
There is also a website www.freecampgrounds.com ("s" on the end of campground). It doesn't have the articles the other does but does have reviews by other RVers on postings. Not all are free and many rest areas, walmarts etc are listed.

Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:12 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks Folks!! Steve & Lynette

Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 AM   #17

Well others have jumped in and said how to find the spots to go..Not how I find mine but You are going to fine some thier way I will say this @45feet You will be very lucky to fit in a lot of places .What I would do is scout any new to You area with the toad and note trees,road,and parking areas I am 34feet and do the toad thing first a tow can be big bucks also I wish You luck in Your travels finding out of the way places are harder as more campers hit the road to-day .If You find a place You can get in remember leave just Your foot prints and if some one left a little trash clean it up it will make You feel great about Your Self...Bushman
Old 06-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Posted by Bushman512003
Well others have jumped in and said how to find the spots to go..Not how I find mine but You are going to fine some thier way I will say this @45feet You will be very lucky to fit in a lot of places .What I would do is scout any new to You area with the toad and note trees,road,and parking areas I am 34feet and do the toad thing first a tow can be big bucks also I wish You luck in Your travels finding out of the way places are harder as more campers hit the road to-day .If You find a place You can get in remember leave just Your foot prints and if some one left a little trash clean it up it will make You feel great about Your Self...Bushman
Great info and very well said. As a young girl camping, we were taught to only take pictures (once we got cameras) and only leave footprints. I've seen places others said had plenty of room to get in, and did, but not near enough overhead clearance.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #19

chick - boondocking a 45er is a little tougher - we just don't fit in most places at 13'2" and 48,000lbs .... You can get a lot of ideas from these guys - Our Odyssey they tend to stay off the beaten path and roll a big'um rig too.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
RV Dude: Hi, and thanks for the link to "Our Odyssey" blog. Yeah,...at 45' and 13'2" these rigs of ours do require a little care when parking....eh? Sounds like the folks w. the "Our Odyssey" blog manage pretty well though. That's SOME RIG they have..huh? Thanks again. Steve & Lynette
Old 06-06-2009, 11:58 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
sknight, I started boondocking in April and am thoroughly hooked. I, too, have a large class A and toad. What I have done to be sure my RV will make it is to unhook the toad and drive to the area and look for good spots. So far, no problems at all. This is my third time in two months. I like to find NFS areas where I can camp for free for 14 days at a time. One place, the ranger let me stay longer because I was awaiting mail. I have bookmarked freecampgrounds.com and search it thoroughly before leaving the site I'm in and heading to a new one. I do hope you try it and love it as much as I do. I only stay in a park with amenities when I need to do laundry and empty/fill tanks.

Anne
38' Fleetwood Expedition 2006
Cummins/Caterpillar/Freightliner
Old 06-07-2009, 10:14 AM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickadee View Post
Hi Bushman (John & Jeannette):

Say, I assume from your avtar pic that ya travel in a MH. Anyway, we too travel in a MH rig (45 ftr.) towing a Honda Element and are full timing since 05.

Since beginning our travels, we've usually stayed in regular campgrounds, but PRIMARILY cause we don't know where or how to find boondocking places where we can park......BUT WE'D LOVE TO!!! Your description of "the night sounds" and critters and all sure struck a chord with us and we'd like to follow your lead, but don't know how to begin!! When your runnin down the road, how do you know where to head for one of those quiet spots you describe. We've got a ALOT to learn and sure could use some help. Thanks. Steve & Lynette
A good way to get started would be to stay at a BLM LTVA or campground and talk to other campers there about where they have stayed. During the winter Quartzsite and Yuma - Imperial Dam are good places to go. In the summer Moab, Utah.

BLM and LTVA info.

The Escapees RV Club is also a good resource.

We spend as much of January and February at the LTVAs in Quartzsite and Imperial Dam. We have made a lot of good friends that we see every year and you become part of a community of sorts.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:24 AM   #23

.I am just pondering are You running a Cat or Cummins or Cat Motor Home and Dodge with the Cummins toad?? I am running a D.P. with a HHR for a 172 Horse Power rear gas pusher..LOL..Bushman

Anne
38' Fleetwood Expedition 2006
Cummins/Caterpillar/Freightliner[/quote]
Old 09-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #24

As a matter of fact, Sean does have a big rig . We have a bigger rig, though. His is 40', and ours is 45'.

Really, getting a big rig around does have limitations. We can't go and boondock wherever a tc can. We boondock a lot in WM parking lots. Since we have our own power house (20kw diesel generator, in a quiet box), and a battery and inverter system, we can last a long time between needing to hook up. We like the places that are out, but we can't have many trees around. Most trees have too many low hanging branches, which do a number on our paint job .

Chick, you know what I mean about not getting into certain places. Ours is identical height, and length, and weight. We pulled up to one entrance (that we were specifically instructed to use), and the sign said, "weight limit 2 tons." Well I figured that exceeding that old bridge by 12 times, was a little much. We used the other entrance without the bridge. It is so funny, because no matter how many times I tell people how big we are, they just don't get it . We just end up getting there, and figuring things out for ourselves. We also carry a electric pole chainsaw, so we can trim trees in a big pinch .

God bless,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDude View Post
chick - boondocking a 45er is a little tougher - we just don't fit in most places at 13'2" and 48,000lbs .... You can get a lot of ideas from these guys - Our Odyssey they tend to stay off the beaten path and roll a big'um rig too.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #25

We love boondocking, too. Of the many reasons, one is for the view! Where we usually boondock is on a river or a lake....the views are far superior than those "pay for" campgrounds/rv parks. We traveled across the states last year using our campground membership and discovered you couldn't see anything! One memorable place in Cottonwood, Az had us passing by the boondocking (federal land) to our campground down in the canyon. Ironically, the boondocking area had FAR superior views of the valley than we did. We came home and sold our membership.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:29 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote by: Rich_In_Tampa...
Quote:
If I did a lot of boondocking I'd be sure I had a plan for the occasional wanderer who was looking for trouble. In a campground, we are one anothers' watch dogs and first responders.
This might be true if one boondock's all by yourselve in a remote area. In most cases this is not the case. Boondocking tends to be done by folks along with other folks. Meaning most of us that do boondock look for places where others are also boondocking. So you're not alone. You may not be parked right next to another RV like in a campground, but there are other RV's a short distance away. Plus you are usually off the beaten path where it's unlikely you'll be accosted by any "wanderer's."

As far as the original poster's thinking boondocking is done by a small group of people... take a trip to southern Arizona and California during the winter months. There are thousands upon thousands of boondocker's parked out on the deserts, especially around Yuma in Arizona and the Mojave desert in California. See photo:
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #27

Bob,

Can you just show up at these places.....the pic looks like an organized
area.

So do you pay? Do you have to make a reservation?
Is there a honey wagon that comes around?

J.P.
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody & Jeff View Post
Bob,

Can you just show up at these places.....the pic looks like an organized
area.

So do you pay? Do you have to make a reservation?
Is there a honey wagon that comes around?

J.P.
There are two types of BLM camping, Dispersed and LTVA. In the dispersed camping, you just show up. Where there are larger numbers of campers, there may be a camp host. These hosts have no legal authority, but are just there to provide information and help keep track of campers for emergency purposes. They are backed up by Rangers with legal authority. It is good to register with the camp hosts for your own protection and in case there is an emergency, someone knows where you are camped. The rangers keep track of how long you are camped in a dispersed area and you are required to move at least 25 miles every 14 days. The LTVAs have offices at the entrance and you are required to pay $40 for two weeks or $180 for seven months. This fee allows you to stay at the LTVA where you payed for up to seven months or to move to any other LTVA and stay at any one for up to the end of the seven month season or the 14 days of your permit. The LTVAs provide trash containers, waste dump stations and potable water at a central site. Some provide cold showers also.

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote