Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2009, 03:55 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Boondocking X Factor

I've noticed through the years that boon docking seems to be one of those activities that is really only understood by a small group of people. For example, one person will inform the others (on the forum) that they had a terrific time boon docking in some remote place. Then, like clockwork, other RVers will declare that region to be dangerous or otherwise unsuitable.

My conclusion is that you have to have something in your personality that enables you to enjoy boon docking. I'll call it the X factor. Not everyone has it. In any case, it seems to relate to the level of security or comfort that people are able to maintain when they are away from the crowd. It also relates to our ability to enjoy RVing without all the usual conveniences. Although with a genset, boondocking isn't as rough as it used to be.

My point is that boondocking is a quirky and somewhat private passion that can't be enjoyed by everyone. Maybe that's a good thing.

Jack
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
I've noticed through the years that boon docking seems to be one of those activities that is really only understood by a small group of people. For example, one person will inform the others (on the forum) that they had a terrific time boon docking in some remote place. Then, like clockwork, other RVers will declare that region to be dangerous or otherwise unsuitable.
It reminds me of how people react in the exact opposite situation: lots of otherwise fearless small-town and rural type are scared stiff to walk around in the downtown areas of big cities -- with good reason in some situations but for those of us who are big city dwellers we do it all the time (knowing where to go and where to avoid going). Fear of the unknown.

If I did a lot of boondocking I'd be sure I had a plan for the occasional wanderer who was looking for trouble. In a campground, we are one anothers' watch dogs and first responders.
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
I like boondocking because it's much quieter, usually prettier, and you don't seem to have the rude people you run into at a modern CG.

Personally I'm happy that it's just popular enough to keep my favorite hiding places open.
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:09 PM   #4

Some like boondocking while others it means that they may not be financialy able to afford the parks with the pools and all the extras that it cost to stay there.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by full-timer View Post
Some like boondocking while others it means that they may not be financialy able to afford the parks with the pools and all the extras that it cost to stay there.

Joe
And narrow minded people that think that way about me have my pity.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #6

Hey sknight,that wasn't aimed at you or anyone else. I do quite a bit of boondocing myself. Its good to get away from the crowd.

Joe
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree with Rich in saying for many who don't boondock it's the fear of the unknown. I have been full time solo for over 8 years and have problably spent less than 30 days of that time in a campground (been RVing over 30 yr). It has nothing to do with not being able to afford campgrounds; I enjoy the more private rustic areas. Usually the scenery can't be beat. I'm not always off somewhere totally alone but not parked only a few feet from the next person either. I've never felt threatened or afraid.

Yes, Jackm it isn't too rough these days. I lack nothing I would have at a full h/u campground except the crowds and noise. Wildlife can be pretty noisy though. My coach is set up to boondock with solar panels and satellite internet but would boondock without that stuff.

There are many different types of campgrounds for the many different types of RVers. Boondocking is another type. Some people don't like the relative solitude you find a lot with boondocking, others thrive there. Some boondock areas are just as busy as campgrounds.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by full-timer View Post
Hey sknight,that wasn't aimed at you or anyone else. I do quite a bit of boondocing myself. Its good to get away from the crowd.

Joe
I didn't think it was, but I have experienced that mentality.

What? How do you dump the tanks? What? But there's no entertainment. You poor thing, all you can afford?

They have no idea!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:52 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A couple of years ago, we spent a few months in the desert in Arizona. After a while, the coyotes would actually walk with us when we took our two German Shepard dogs for a stroll. At night, the air was filled with coyote sounds, snorting javalinas, and hoot owls. It was really tough. Wish I was there right now.

Jack
Old 06-02-2009, 05:25 AM   #10

The Night Sky

Yes North is where We like to be We love the night sky the sounds of the night be it bepper frogs,coyote,elk,hoot owls,whipper wills or our cds just so loud We can still hear all the woods has to tell Us and Yes the lick of the fire or the Northern Lights danceing across the sky...and the stars Yes the things We see and hear Boondocking...Some people never will see it for a golf game is there enjoyment and that is Ok also they just do not know what they are missing...As for Me I played one game of golf in My life My first and last the same day, the same game...LOL... Bushman
Old 06-02-2009, 06:39 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bushman (John & Jeannette):

Say, I assume from your avtar pic that ya travel in a MH. Anyway, we too travel in a MH rig (45 ftr.) towing a Honda Element and are full timing since 05.

Since beginning our travels, we've usually stayed in regular campgrounds, but PRIMARILY cause we don't know where or how to find boondocking places where we can park......BUT WE'D LOVE TO!!! Your description of "the night sounds" and critters and all sure struck a chord with us and we'd like to follow your lead, but don't know how to begin!! When your runnin down the road, how do you know where to head for one of those quiet spots you describe. We've got a ALOT to learn and sure could use some help. Thanks. Steve & Lynette
Old 06-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Chickadee, I'll jump in with a little info. I also love to boondock for the serenity, and beauty of it and not being confined to a small space. Even many NFS parks I've been in, although a campground setting, the sites are huge and in my experiences sparcely populated. There are some NFS and NPS campgrounds that are free. I also admit I stop in my share of Flying J, Walmart, etc when just traveling through. I did like to play a game of golf now and then in the past before my health put a stop to it.

I'm sure there is a lot of info here through search about boondocking places. There is also a website, I have only looked at briefly, that may be helpful on how too http://www.rvboondockingnews.com. There is also a yahoo boondocking group where people list places or ask about places where they are. If you go to yahoo, click on groups, then you want to search for the boondocking group.

I also have 2 books that are several years old now but have seen them recently in stores. They are "Free Campgrounds of the East" and "Free Campgrounds of the West". The east and west division is the Mississippi River. He lists not only free spots but spots under about $15.

I know others will have a lot more good info. Hope this helps you start.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:02 AM   #13

you can also go to freecampground.com has a list of places by state and general location, of places for $10 to free, including amenities
gherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:51 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive View Post
Chickadee, I'll jump in with a little info. I also love to boondock for the serenity, and beauty of it and not being confined to a small space. Even many NFS parks I've been in, although a campground setting, the sites are huge and in my experiences sparcely populated. There are some NFS and NPS campgrounds that are free. I also admit I stop in my share of Flying J, Walmart, etc when just traveling through. I did like to play a game of golf now and then in the past before my health put a stop to it.

I'm sure there is a lot of info here through search about boondocking places. There is also a website, I have only looked at briefly, that may be helpful on how too http://www.rvboondockingnews.com. There is also a yahoo boondocking group where people list places or ask about places where they are. If you go to yahoo, click on groups, then you want to search for the boondocking group.

I also have 2 books that are several years old now but have seen them recently in stores. They are "Free Campgrounds of the East" and "Free Campgrounds of the West". The east and west division is the Mississippi River. He lists not only free spots but spots under about $15.

I know others will have a lot more good info. Hope this helps you start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherman View Post
you can also go to freecampground.com has a list of places by state and general location, of places for $10 to free, including amenities
Bookmarked, thank you!