Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #15

My black tank is 70 gallons. I have a 45 gallon Blue Boy tote. I put the tote on the truck and fill it with my Macerator pump. Water = 8 Lbs per gallon. My 45 gallon tank full is 360 Lbs. I tried to pull it full along on it's wheels only once. If you can do it my way then the bigger the better. If not get one you can handle.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Full Monte- Since the tank levels equalize- your black tank is never dry, so the sewage won't harden. Also -you can keep the valve closed on either tank if you choose, until you decide that your gray is getting too full- then you can open both- just make sure the valve on the Flush King is closed...
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tanks in the 10 gallon or smaller size (I had a 10) can not be towed, though I did manage to tow my 10

15-20 the tow hitch is opitonal (I modified to fit a 10)
25 and up I think it's standard.

You have basically two options, go smaller and dump more often or go 45-50 gallon and dump when tank is full.. If I ever replace it I may go that route.

Currently, in my life, I'm never parked in one spot long enough to be concerned. During the winter I spend 2 weeks full hookup, then one week W/E only, changing on Sunday, but on Wed I pull off to go to church for something so I dump then. my 36 gallon tanks re never quite full that way.. Summers I am full time W/E/S/ and part time "C(able) as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
I just had this discussion this morning with another camper. I have a 22 gallon tank because it is the largest tank that I want to handle if the terrain is rough. To maximize patio space on concrete pads, I park on the edge of the pad on the drivers side. This puts my water compartment in the grass and trees where I have to pull it to the car to take it to the dump station. Because it only has 2 wheels in the back I can lift and pull it. The larger tanks with 4 wheels and a tongue would not pull well in the dirt and grass.
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 12:58 PM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teachrz
I just had this discussion this morning with another camper. I have a 22 gallon tank because it is the largest tank that I want to handle if the terrain is rough. To maximize patio space on concrete pads, I park on the edge of the pad on the drivers side. This puts my water compartment in the grass and trees where I have to pull it to the car to take it to the dump station. Because it only has 2 wheels in the back I can lift and pull it. The larger tanks with 4 wheels and a tongue would not pull well in the dirt and grass.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2914138825.png
Views:	212
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	13931
Teachrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:52 AM   #20

I don't have a toad, so it looks like a small tank would be better. This has been a good thread with a lot of great ideas being kicked around! This is one topic I wouldn't expect to discuss at a cocktail party!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
I haven't done it yet, but I plan on making a shelf in the propane compartment. I can make a shelf out of light gauge expanded metal and support it with threaded rod. This area is open to the air so is a good spot for it.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:25 AM   #22

Yes, thinking about where the tote is going to be stored before purchase is a good idea. Having the tote storage somewhere outside the RV sounds good because of potential smells. My current thinking is: get a tote as large as possible for the space I have to store it. Then don't fill it to capacity prior to hand-towing it to the dump. The excess capacity will act as a safety cushion against overfills.
Old 09-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #23

Here's how I use a blue boy.

1. I don't use it for black water, grey only.

2. Buy a cap for your rv dump spigot that has a male garden hose attachment on it.

3. Put one of the clear plastic attachments on the dump outlet and then put the aforementioned cap on it.

4. Put a cheap plastic shutoff valve on the gardenhose outlet.

5. Make up a 2-4 foot long garden hose with a female fitting on each end.

6. Attach the garden hose to the cap and to the male garden hose nipple on the blue boy.

7. Take the big cap off the blue boy so you can see inside the tank.

8. Open the small shutoff valve and pull the the grey water t handle.

9. Stand there and watch the blue boy as it fills. When it is about 2" from the top, push the t-handle in.

10. Watch the plastic attachment empty, then disconnect the garden hose, cap the blue boy and go dump.

11. Nary a drop spilled. YOU HAVE TO STAND THERE AND WATCH SO YOU DON'T RUN IT OVER.

Not as complex as it sounds/looks here and certainly not messy.

I prefer to move to dump black water every ten days or so. Much easier than cleaning up a black eater spill.

Get one that can be towed. My 15 gal works fine. Any bigger is a storage problem for me.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote