Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2011, 07:47 AM   #1

The right size honey wagon?

I'm thinking of buying a Barker Tote-along for boondocking extended stays.
My Black tank is 45 gallons. What size honey wagon should I get? I know that big tanks are heavy and hard on the wheels, but small tanks have to be emptied more often. What's the trade-off?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I went the small 12 gallon route. The 12 gallons is heavy enough. I decided I would rather make two trips rather than wrestle with a larger tote. The smaller tote is also easier to store. You can make a platform to go into the 2" hitch tube if you have one on your "towed" and even put a hinge on it for easy dumping. Harbor freight makes a step that makes a good base for the platform.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am considering a tote as well, so this thread is timely.

For those that are using totes, how do you actually use it? The holding tanks are obviously much larger and the hose capacity between the valve and tote is substantial. How do you stop the flow before exceeding the tank capacity and then having a full hose?

Never seen it done and curious.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 25 gallon portable tank. Where I boondock, and at a lot of 1000 parks where I stay, I can not release my grey, however there is a dump station on site. After 5 years, my schedule is Monday dump the Black tank (which never goes over 12 gallon or so, and then dump the grey which takes a tank and a half. On Friday I dump the grey again which takes maybe a tank to a tank and a half. When the tank is full it gets pretty heavy, I agree with John in making more trips. I have a 42 gallon black tank on the MH, but dumping the black once a week seems to work out better to hold the smell down

To answer SVTotem's question, I have a shut off valve close by the portable tank, you can either buy a float guage for the tote or simply do it by sight, to tell when it almost full. I have a short 3 inch sewer hose from the MH to the tank, and the tank comes with a tow bar, which I attach to the trailer ball of my toad. At the dump station it's a simple tilt up system to dump. Oh, and by the way, DW states that this operation is for DH, ONLY.
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:31 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks LEMO,
I expect this to be a blue job for us as well.

I am still not clear on gauging outflow so as not to be stuck with a hose full. Does the float gauge account for the volume of the hose some how?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #6

Yeah...SvTotem...I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking that if you have a valve right where it connects to the portable tank, and you can shut it off long before it overflows the portable, you could shut off the main black valve, then open the valve near the portable, then flush the slinky hose with gray water. I'm not sure if this is the way it's done...I've just been thinking about it for awhile now. I guess a slinky hose that is as short as possible is a good idea. Does anybody have any helpful ideas for a couple of confused guys? I'm beginning to think this isn't going to be one of my favorite tasks...
Old 09-16-2011, 06:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have you guys considered just using a Flush King on the sewer outlet of your rv's? That way- you can keep both black and gray valves open all the time and dump much less often (then just bring the rv to the dump area)...just my 2 cents.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flush King?
Is that a device that allows the black tank to increase the grey tank capacity by connecting the two? I am not sure I want to mix the contents.

Then again, it is like my dad used to say when I complained about gravy spilling over on to my vegetables, "it's all going to the same place - eat it".

Not that I suggest the latter in this case.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
SVTotem-

Yes, the contents are mixed to equalize the tank levels, this will let you stay maybe two to three more days boondocking depending on your water use. Mixing the contents will not hurt anything and if you want- the Flush King also allows you do do simply that (flush your tanks with fresh water when you are at the dump station). Here it is...
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:53 AM   #10

My wife and own property in Southern CO. We park our trailer on it most of the summer. Until we build, we are off the grid. (septic tank permit, power pole) A 15 gal tote sends us to the RV dump site about once a week. A 100' garden hose and "green" dish soap and other cleaners allows us to water trees with the grey H2O.
I can lift 15 gallons onto the tailgate without a problem 2 bungi cords hold it in place on the tail gate so it's easy to empty at the dump station.

Good Luck Ken
Pinz6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:32 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full.Monte View Post
Yeah...SvTotem...I'm wondering the same thing. I'm thinking that if you have a valve right where it connects to the portable tank, and you can shut it off long before it overflows the portable, you could shut off the main black valve, then open the valve near the portable, then flush the slinky hose with gray water. I'm not sure if this is the way it's done...I've just been thinking about it for awhile now. I guess a slinky hose that is as short as possible is a good idea. Does anybody have any helpful ideas for a couple of confused guys? I'm beginning to think this isn't going to be one of my favorite tasks...
I've found that the float gauge isn't all that useful. You get a feel for how full the tote is after a couple of dumps. Just back off on the flow by pushing the blade on the valve in when you think you are getting close. I use a 5' 3" hose from the valve to the tank.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
John,
I have never used the float gauge and have only seen them at CW. It mounts in the small vent hole on the tank. My MH shut off valve is close to where my tank is so I'm using only about a 2 ft hose. When I had a fifth wheel, I had to put a shut off valve right at the trailer exit. I watch the vent hole and can tell when It's nearly full, rather make more trips, with a partial tank then have a spill. Also I keep a bucket near the tank in case I guess wrong and can quickly flip any extra in the bucket.
The other thing to consider in tank size, is where do you intend to carry it while traveling. I use a CW chair rack and mount mine on my back ladder. Not pretty, but keeps it out of my toad.

Lemo
LEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Have you guys considered just using a Flush King on the sewer outlet of your rv's? That way- you can keep both black and gray valves open all the time and dump much less often (then just bring the rv to the dump area)...just my 2 cents.
I have read on this forum that it's better to keep the black tank wet because the TP can dry out and create the "plaster-of-paris volcano" in the bottom of your tank. Have you had this experience, or are you able to keep the tank free of "gunk" using your method?
Old 09-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I've found that the float gauge isn't all that useful. You get a feel for how full the tote is after a couple of dumps. Just back off on the flow by pushing the blade on the valve in when you think you are getting close. I use a 5' 3" hose from the valve to the tank.
I'm worried about getting more than a "feel" for how full it is...an overflow or a full hose and tank would NOT be my idea of fun! What do you guys do to make sure it doesn't happen?