Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2017, 07:29 PM   #1

Transfering water from jugs to tank the easy way

Last year while on a long stay on the central Montana prairie, it was necessary to dump water from jugs into the water fill on the side of the Bigfoot 10.6e TC. I and two good friends poured 4 5gal jugs into a make shift funnel cut from a soda bottle.

That got me to thinking there has to be an easier way.

I bought a 1gpm 12vdc pump on Ebay for about $16. It has 3/8" inlet/outlet so 3/8" tubing was procured from Home Depot along with fittings and a couple caps. That cost was about $17 in parts. The gator clips & wire was left over from some other project.

While plastic would work fine, I got brass for the intake side as the weight would help keep the tubing on the bottom of the jug. I put a cap on it after drilling several 1/16" holes through it.

I tested it all out with just a gallon jug & the pump moved that volume faster than 1gpm. Shown here on our XLR toybox.

Power for the pump is in the compartment directly to the left where I installed extra batteries. Simply clip onto to the battery and the pump gets busy doing it's thing. I will keep this set up portable so I can use it in either the truck camper or on the 5th wheel.
skruske is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 01:48 AM   #2

I looked at a setup like this a few days ago. Searching further I've found Marine Bilge Pumps that move a ton more water than that. With this pump it would take me over 90min too fill my tank. Bilge pump in a river is just minutes. This is for a [Moderator Edit] scenario. Zombies are fast [emoji12][emoji12]
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 AM   #3

I did similar but with the harbor freight 12 volt water pump. It has garden hose connectors already on it so just hooked my hose up

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...ump-63324.html

Its $40 but i had a 25% off coupon. Has clips.
kb2ztx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:18 AM   #4

I did something similar right after Hurricane Katrina hit. Public water supplies were compromised and we were forced to use bottle water. I traveled inland a good distance to find a small water pump to use, but I just placed the outlet hose from the pump directly into the gravity fill port. Your idea looks really great!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:55 AM   #5

If you are dumping the water out of 5 gal pails, why not just elevate them and use a syphon hose. Let gravity do the work.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 AM   #6

Or chuck up a pump in a cordless drill:

https://youtu.be/usKtoyjgfH4?t=39s

blog | lemmy community
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:31 AM   #7

We boondock more now than stay at rv parks so getting water into the fresh tank was becoming a pain. I was just using 3 - 6 gallon water containers but at roughly 48# lifting and wresting with the funnel/ containers I finally broke down and put this together. Variation from others that I have seen on the internet. I was pumping from the containers but ordered the bladder to save on space.

I used a Seaflo 33 series 12v pump , 3.3 gpm

I wired a trailer plug onto it and plug it under the tailgate .

I chose this pump for the time the one in the 5th wheel fails and I'll just use this one for it's replacement.

AquaTank II 30 gallon Bladder. That gives a 100 gallons for the 2 weeks and usually it's time to move on to the next location anyways.

2_5/8" OD x 1/2" ID Vinyl hoses, #4 clamps 1/4"-5/8" diameter, 1_3/4"female hose end x 1/2" ID hose barb

The bladder sits in front of the hitch and doesn't hit the tailgate, so a perfect fit.
This is full @ 30 gallons

Just about empty

When completed with the water transfer the bladder can be folded up and the pump broken down taking hardly any space.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:00 AM   #8

I just use my antifreeze inlet hose. Free and already installed.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #9

Since we do not have a gravity fill I just carry an extra water pump for our coach and use that when I need to add more water while boondocking.
Old 06-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #10

We use both Itinerant1 and skruske methods. Our Open Range installed pump pulls in about 2.5 gpm when you adjust the valves properly. Our Roadtrek does not so we just put clips on our backup water pump with clear plastic tubing as others have shown in this thread, and get about 2.5 gpm.

We winter in Mexico (primarily Yucatan) and Elaine does not trust the water. So we get a bunch of garrafones (20 liter = about 6 gallons) and take them to a water purification place and fill the garrafones, haul them back and fill the fresh water tanks. Takes quite a few to fill the 80 gallon fresh water tank on the 34' 5th wheel.

Reed and Elaine
Reed Cundiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:01 PM   #11

Been doing something similar for many years. I decided on an rv pump as it can be used as a spare.... If your rv pump dies! I wired mine with a 7 pin rv plug (wired so as running light pin supplies power to pump). Plug it in,turn on parking lights and pump runs. We also have a rather large back-up tank (in our case a 55 gallon drum). I fabricated a short piece of pvc pipe (to reach bottom of barrel)with water hose connections for suction side of pump,and hose connections on discharge side of pump. You "could" if needed, be parked 50 feet away from rv, and still get water into rv fresh tank.
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:57 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Drill driven pump. I carry cordless electric drill anyway. Similar to this one at Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F1...0gL&ref=plSrch
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your RV has a Tank Fill Valve, and a Winterizing Valve, you don't need any additional hoses/pumps, etc. Turn your tank fill valve to "tank fill", turn your winterizing valve to "winterize", drop the winterizing (antifreeze) line into your water supply (bucket, can, bladder, etc), and turn on your on-board pump.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:39 AM   #14

X2 on the Harbor freight pump. We take up to 7 people to the beach at a boon dock camp. I carry 6 ,5 gallon buckets of extra water in case we use all 100 gallons the Alpenlite has onboard..

Tags
tank, water