Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Trash

I was wondering what do you all do about your trash when boondocking. The places we boondocked had trash cans so that was not an issue. I am sure there are places that would not have trash bins. Sorry if this is a silly question just wanted to know what others do and how you handle the issue. Don't want trash stinking up the bays nor animals getting to it making a mess.

Shaz
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2014, 04:37 AM   #2

There are no silly questions! You might consider burning some trash
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for that idea homeless. The only thing that comes to mind with burning would be somehow someway with my luck would start a wildfire. Scaery...
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
Old 05-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #4

My thought to that is to burn before you have a truck load! Maybe add some trash to your camp fire....
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
As a guy who has survived a forest fire in Alaska that swept around our home after someone did exactly that, I strongly recommend this doesn't happen.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Compact it as much as possible and pack it out.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Compact it as much as possible and pack it out.
That's what we do, and we boondock almost exclusively.

Side note per burning trash:
Anything but virgin wood and paper is considered garbage and burning it is prohibited in most jurisdictions even when there are no other restrictions on burning/campfires.

When camped where fires are allowed, I admit to breaking the above rule myself in one respect: before putting empty cans in the haul-out bag, I do toss them in the firepit and burn off the food residue. This to reduce odor/varmint attraction to the trash receptacle.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #8

Trash while bookdocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
There are no silly questions! You might consider burning some trash
We always burn a fair amount of trash when boondocking. You just have to be smart about it. We simply add a few pieces at a time to the campfire. We burn paper plates, soda and beer cans, paper wrappers, etc. Just don't put any glass in there because it will break and then you have a hazard. I also try not to burn any plastic or styrofoam because it gives off a nasty odor and I learned as a kid it was "bad" to burn that stuff. I'm not sure if that's actually the case but I avoid it all the same.

We do end up packing some trash home but never too much. Double bag it and toss it into a bay...
Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
DH and I have been discussing this recently. We want to leave mother earth clean and with as little scaring from our visiting her beauty. One thought was to bury biodegradable trash. If we have a campfire use some of the paper cardboard to start our fire. The rest DH thought to place in a trash can we carry 100 yards from the setup. Marked with our name in case Rangers scout around. This way we can toss in cans else where. My concern is wildlife. Don't want to draw them to trash but keep them as safe as possible too. If they should find and get into it yes we would clean up. Just want to be a responsible visitor so others can enjoy what we do and do more harm to the area.