Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #1

Traveling with 2 Honda EU2000's

Hello All,

This summer we plan on a 4-5 month trip out west. We want to spend some time dry camping. We have a 35' 5th and a Ram DRW truck. The 5th has a shop built 2" receiver hitch what is rated for 500llbs of pin carrying ability. Or so.

Got a pair of Honda EU2000's. Looking for ideas as how to carry them. On a carrier on the back of the trailer. Store them in one of the side compartments. Leave in the back of the truck. I am concerned about them growing legs, so security is also a issue.

I realize I have to beef up my battery bank and such. The last time we did a trip like this was in a 35' pusher, 7K gen set and 540W solar with a 2K inverter with 4 x 6vdc GC's

I am getting older (75+) so getting them in and out every time has me thinking a carrier on the back of the 5th.

Pictures appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #2

I have 2 EU 2000's and store them in a compartment where they are locked up. They are a little difficult to get in and out but still doable. For now anyway.
If you decide to carry them on the rear you would be well advised to have a custom carrier built which would slide into your trailer receiver. This should be made with a lift off cover made from steel or aluminum with provisions to lock the cover down to prevent theft. The hitch should also have a locking pin so someone couldn't just pull a hairpin and take the whole set up.
I suggest the cover because the air flow behind the unit is strong at speed on the highway and if you encounter rain the generators would be a mess.
You might even be able to vent the cover so you could run the generators with the cover still in place.
You could also run a metal strap over the generators with a hinge on one side and a hasp on the other with a padlock so you could remove the cover and still have the generators somewhat theft proof leaving them on the platform.
There is no such thing as theft proof but discouraging a petty thief might be beneficial. He (or she) will find easier prey somewhere.
I don't have pictures except in my own mind. You don't even want to look in there. LOL
Lynn
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
LMGTFY

All you gotta do is make it significantly harder to steal your stuff then someone close to you at the time. There are a few ways to lock up the EU2000s that will help prevent theft.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #4

Bought a rack for a 2" receiver and mounted an aluminum tool box to the rack for the gens. and gas can. Had room enough on the rack for two recliner chairs. I did have a welder reinforce the rack in several places. The whole shebang is sitting in my yard now as we traded our 5ver for the MH.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Perhaps a slide out tray in one of your bays would work, for both and could you pull them out for running in place on the tray?
Old 11-27-2017, 06:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Bought a rack for a 2" receiver and mounted an aluminum tool box to the rack for the gens. and gas can. Had room enough on the rack for two recliner chairs. I did have a welder reinforce the rack in several places. The whole shebang is sitting in my yard now as we traded our 5ver for the MH.
Any chance you can e mail me a picture. Run all this together:
jimlyndabrooks at yahoo dot com

The slide out tray idea, that would make the compartment door open and the side compartments are vented to the inside for heated compartments.

Wishing I still had my old Safari, I had it set up for this.

Thanks, Jim
Old 11-27-2017, 07:54 AM   #7

I talked to a cargo carrier supplier and they do not recommend for use on a 5th wheel, too much bounce. I really would like the genset to be on the rear, adjacent to the electrical connection, noise away from bedroom, too heavy to lift in and out of truck or basement compartment. Did you ever encounter any issues with your genset on the back? Thanks in advance.
Dave from GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 04:33 PM   #8

Gene

I have two Honda's too. I put a full length pull out slide in the storage compartment of our Arctic Fox (the compartment that goes clear thru). I put the generators on the slide so I can just open the compartment door, pull the slide out and fire them up. The slide out will pull out 4 ft so fumes aren't a problem. If it is raining I pull them out onto the ground and shut the compartment.
plain ol Bil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 04:07 PM   #9

I added a carrier to the rear receiver hitch, Pro Series along with a Vault Cargo waterproof carrier bag both from Amazon for less than $200. Carried both Honda 2000s along with the 5 gallon extender tank. Added a cable lock through all 3 and hide the whole thing with carrier bag. Have over 2000 miles so far with no issues. I can unzip the cargo bag and fire up the generators without having to move them. Makes dry camping easy. I did add a ratchet strap from carrier to frame to keep the carrier from shifting.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:12 PM   #10

KSH Marine makes aluminum genset boxes for just about any brand and model. They will custom make a box from your specs if you need one. I use one for a Yamaha EF2000. The gen runs right inside the box with the top lid closed and secure. A couple of panels are removed before using the gen and it can exhaust and breath. Have used it in all seasons. gen stays out of weather and safe from sticky fingers.

https://kshmarine.com/custom-generator-boxes/

And they are durable. I have one on the side frame rail of my class 8 semi truck with a Yamaha EF2000 in it. That box and gen has seen about 700,000 miles and both are in great shape. You can see my unit in one of the pictures on the page link. It is the box attached to a red frame rail. I took the pic after I mounted everything.

You could be creative on how you mount the box. To a trailer bumper, trailer tongue, on a receiver rack, whatever.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:44 AM   #11

Genset carrier

Cowpie 1, that is just what I'm looking for to keep my Honda generator out of the weather and securely stored. I looked all over for a box, but couldn't find anything that was the right size. I have a cargo carrier ordered that should arrive today. Once I assemble and measure for my storage box I will be contacting KSH Marine. Thanks for the contact!
Dave from GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #12

When we had the TT, we had two Honda EU2000's wired together. Our TT had a basement door in the rear so I built a frame for a TSC off the shelf aluminum tool box so that it would pivot out of the way, allowing access to the garage storage. The two Honda's fit in just fine.

I also cut a hole in the middle (front) of the box and installed a 4" 110v whisper fan which plugged into one of the 110v receptacles in one of the generators, just under where the tool tray is located in the picture. I placed a small filter between the wall of the box and the fan. Any time a generator was started, 110v powered the small fan and pressurized the box. There were two exhaust "grates" constructed at each end of the box, with the exhaust from the generators venting out the louvered grates. Temperatures in the box was generally only 6 to 10 degrees higher than outside ambient air temp.

I placed 1/2" foil backed insulation on all the interior surfaces of the box for vibration control/sound deadening. There was room between the two generators for a 1.5 gallon fuel tank and a small amount of tools as well.

When using the generator(s) I opened a small door on the driver's side of the box, connected a short pigtail long which I had made up which ran from the RV power plug to the 30 amp receptacle in the generator and the generator could be used at rest, or while traveling down the highway if I wanted to "pre-cool" the TT prior to getting to the campsite.

I also purchased a Berg System extended run fuel tank (6 gallon) which allowed me to run the generators for extended periods without refuel. I placed the tank beside the genny box on the ground as the Honda's have fuel pumps that will draw the fuel up to the level of the engines.

The only inconvenience I ran into was that without electric start, I had to open the lid of the box and pull start the generator(s).

I looked for pics of the open box with both genny's installed, but can't find one. I also don't have a pick of the fan placement or exhaust grills unfortunately, but . . .

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 113.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	354.4 KB
ID:	185691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 115.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	185692  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Prowler 116.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	185693  
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 PM   #13

Cowpie1- that is exactly the setup I'm looking for. Thank you so much; that is really a sharp looking rig! I have 2 Hondas, and will probably have them build me a box to go clear across (width) of the bed. Thanks again. I'm impressed!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #14

U R Welcome, guys. I even mounted one on my commercial semi truck frame and a Yamaha EF2000 rides in it. On the web page link I gave you, there is a box mounted on a red truck frame in one of the pics. That is mine where I took a pic when I first mounted it. That setup now has about 700,000 miles on it, and both the box and the generator are still doing great. So if one mounts it properly, there is no reason it shouldn't give lots of years of good use.

Note: The box is a little bit larger than the gen for ample air flow around the gen when it is running. When traveling with the box closed up, put a little padding in there around the gen to keep it from banging around in the box.

Bob, I think one of the pics on the gallery page shows a box with two Honda's in it. They may already have a box made just for your needs!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, travel