Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #15

Something to keep in mind when you're spending your money. Trojans are pricey but can be more expensive if you don't use them.

Standard Starting Lighting and Ignition batteries have a grid and paste construction that allows SLI batteries to provide high current for starting. IMNSHO if it has CCA on the label, it ain't deep cycle.

Trojans use a solid plate construction which is why they're heavier'n hell. But that also means that they have more plate material to sift to the bottom of the battery case before they fail. All lead acid batteries fail mechanically after enough charge-re-charge cycles. You can start with an SLI battery that's made with a grid filled with lead oxide paste or a true deep cycle battery that has solid plates and has the lead oxides formed on the surface of the plats through electrochemical action but ask yourself, which one is going to last longer?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 06:59 PM   #16

SkiSmuggs, I just bought the NOCO dual battery box.. Yea, it's a bit more, I got it from Ebay, $55.00 + 10.00 shipping.. still about $20 less than Amazon or others though... I like the idea of having them in one box, easier to route smaller cable lengths to run them in series. Now I just need to find the batteries!
davidki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:56 AM   #17

Here is a copy of a list showing all of the results I found for 6 volt batteries. I made this list last year when I was in the market for new batteries so I'm sure the prices have fluctuated a bit since then. The list shows all of the information I could gather about the batteries at the time. I did not have a Costco membership at the time so the batteries I bought from them is not reflected in this spreadsheet, but they were $85 for the Interstate Battery.

The important numbers shown in this simple spreadsheet are the "20 Amp Hour Rate" column and the "Reserve Capacity At 25 Amps" column and of course the "Price" column. As Mark Twain once said " You pay your money and take your choice"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6 volt batteries.JPG
Views:	2208
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	83382  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 06:09 AM   #18

Big D9, thanks for the list, thats a good place to get started... Because the two local Costco Stores here in Nashville don't carry the Golf Cart Batteries the price doesn't matter at this point.. I"ll check the other info and see what is avaialble close.. I'd say the Trojan or the Interstate are going to be my closest option, but Interstate is really expensive unless I can find a dealer that will discount.

But thanks again for this info!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #19

Ok, well, just getting ready to get my batteries and had bought a NOCO dual 6v battery box to use and found out... it won't fit the area I wanted to put it.. If anyone is interested in it, it is brand new it is a NOCO Heavy Duty Dual 6 Volt Battery Box NOCO Part#: HM426 Normally sold on the internet for over $100 Im selling it for what I paid for it plus shipping $65.00 + shipping, it is new still in the box... Were in the Nashville Tn. area.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #20

The have another Duracell also for $104. I jujst bought 2 of them
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:08 PM   #21

Oh for heavens sake go ahead a buy the darn things and get ut over with. You'll save twenty bucks and spend fifty in gas!
Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 PM   #22

I like you, Bob!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:51 AM   #23

Well DumOleBob Not as easy as you can think.. I did go to both (that's 2) of the only Costco's in the 50 mile radius and they do not carry the 6v golf cart batteries, one guy said they never did the other just looked at me and said I need a 12 v battery. go figure. They do have the 12V Interstate RV.Marine but only in the Group 27, my trailer came with a group 24.. .go figure. So, that would mean use one until drawn down and then switch batteries. that can happen.

But one more offer has popped up and that is 2 Trojan T105's for about 250 including Core Charge and no tax (or tax included) so that's pretty darn good.. I am seriously thinking of going this way .... I already have the battery box's purchased...
Old 03-13-2015, 10:56 AM   #24

I guess I'm just lucky to live in a little Podunk town like Carson City, Nevada. We have a Costco, Tractor Supply, CAL Ranch, O'Reilly Auto Parts and NAPA Auto Parts stores that all carry GC6 batteries.

I had no idea that they were so hard to find in major metropolitan areas "Back East".
Old 03-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #25

Nashville is a great City, we have all those Parts places here as well... I live in Lebanon which is 20 miles to the east, but Costco's are about 40/45 miles one way depending on which one we go to. Like I said, they do not carry GC batteries.

We do have a Interstate distributor/store just about 3 miles from us, but for some reason folks seem to like the Trojan better... so I kind of focused on Trojan.

There are a couple of Golf Cart dealers with it 30 miles from here and I've spoken with them... from what the prices that are shown on here for the T105's these local dealers are about 30% higher...

I did find another source that I may check out next week but again, they are in the Nashville area and I just have to find a time to drive in to secure the deal.

I find the forums and being able to discuss items we put on our rigs very helpful and have saved me from making some wrong decisions in the past so I find using the resource we have here makes a lot of sense...

Finally our first trip out is Mid May.... so, right now, I"m in no big hurry to make the decisions..
Old 03-16-2015, 05:07 PM   #26

I bought two Duracell GC2 6 volt batteries last October at Batteries+Bulbs in Asheville, NC. They were on sale for $79.99 each.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:05 AM   #27

Whoops, sorry I know shopping can be very frustrating, and the larger the area the harder it may be! I was just amazed at the amount of time we can all, including me😳, spend being pound wise and penny foolish, or whatever😁. Plus, batteries are one thing that the more you know, or try to find out, the worse off you are! Kind of like water purifiers....
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #28

I completely understand driving 20 miles to save 3 cents theory...Im not like that.. Our big boon-docking experiance isn't until May 15th.. when I was in Costco the Interstate Marine/RV batteries were mosty late 2014 dates... If we don't go until 5/15 I'm not in that big a hurry.

My other thought is this is probably a one off thing for boon docking (our other trips) are all with hookups.. So, do I spend $300 for the two 6v Trojans or just get the 12 Group 27 Marine/RV at Costco and swap out my Group 24 and keep my group 24 in the back of the truck charged if need be.

By the way is there an easy way to check the draw on the battery? Once I unplug it from Shore power? That would be interesting to see.
Dave

Tags
batteries