Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #1
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Truck stops with electric hookup

Have you ever heard of any truck stops that have electric hookups that you can buy power by the hour

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2016, 04:45 PM   #2

Lots of them have electric hookups now, but if it's bad weather you a) likely won't find one empty, or, b) be very well received by truckers who don't have the luxury of APU's and would like to plug in where you are.

I stop in truck stops lots but rarely it's long enough that I need any power, in fact by the time the coach has cooled off enough for the furnace to start cycling I'm thinking about getting up anyway.

Old 09-17-2016, 07:30 PM   #3
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
BINGO
Did a little research and found how to locate truck stops with electric hookups

Alternative Fuels Data Center

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Old 10-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #4

As Murf2U say's...

STAY OUT OF THE TRUCKSTOPS

You are looking for a FREE place to camp... Those truck drivers are there because they MUST have a 10 hour rest break by DOT regulations.

When you occupy a truck space (I don't mean the RV spaces at a Flying J) you are taking away a space for a driver that NEEDS to park.

Don't be cheap plan your trip and find a campground.

I have to also add, some of "us" are incredibly rude. Not only finding a "free campground" but also opening all the slides in places like a rest area and thereby making it impossible for anyone else to get in next to you. Show some mutual respect.

If you can't afford to camp... stay home
Old 10-12-2016, 07:31 PM   #5

Stopped at a Pilot Truck Stop, near the PA, NY border.

There were 8 or 10 power poles along the curb, NOT in the truck area.

There was 1 DP near the dump and water hookup. He had full hookup and was washing the rig.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmuzick View Post
STAY OUT OF THE TRUCKSTOPS

You are looking for a FREE place to camp... Those truck drivers are there because they MUST have a 10 hour rest break by DOT regulations.

When you occupy a truck space (I don't mean the RV spaces at a Flying J) you are taking away a space for a driver that NEEDS to park.

Don't be cheap plan your trip and find a campground.

I have to also add, some of "us" are incredibly rude. Not only finding a "free campground" but also opening all the slides in places like a rest area and thereby making it impossible for anyone else to get in next to you. Show some mutual respect.

If you can't afford to camp... stay home
I've been to many Flying Js with RV only parking. It gets tough to use them, when tractors and straight trucks fill them up. Flying J offers the spots to RVs, not trucks.

If they can't find free spots on their side, they should move on and not use mine.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Best way to attract a tractor/trailer with the reefer cycling all night next to you is to deploy your slides in a truck stop lot
Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I've been to many Flying Js with RV only parking. It gets tough to use them, when tractors and straight trucks fill them up. Flying J offers the spots to RVs, not trucks.

If they can't find free spots on their side, they should move on and not use mine.
In many places it seems the bobtails prefer the RV spots, even when the truck lot isn't full.

Still, I don't have more right to a spot than them.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You know, the original question is a great question, I still have not seen it answered, are there stops like this on the road, if so where are they.....I have not seen any.... but good question!
BlueOx Aladdin Toads: Tahoe or 2500HD, BrakeBuddy Classic
mc4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:34 AM   #10

Actually it was... the website was listed for electrified truck stops.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:46 AM   #11

First of all... Federal law say's a driver cannot drive more than 11 hours without taking a 10 hour break; so the "they should just move on" is not an option when you are out of hours.

Secondly, I actually agree with you as far as the RV parking is concerned and you should do what I do... note your frustration to PFJ CORPORATE (not the $8.00 per hour person at the counter or the $11.00 per hour shift supervisor both of whom could care less) those front parking lots are not made for 80,000 pound vehicles so your complaint to corporate will certainly generate interest in preserving the asphalt.

Third and probably most importantly, if you think it is bad trying to park at a truck stop now; wait until December of 2017 when electronic data recording devices become Federally mandated on ALL commercial trucks and buses.

No longer will drivers be able to falsify a log book and continue to drive beyond their legal hours. The logs and the movement of the truck (or non movement) will coincide. What that means is EVERY parking space in EVERY truck stop is going to be FULL and full early.

There was very little thought put into the proposal and the implementation of it.

My whole point to my initial reply is this... YOU (and I) have options, that a 75 foot articulated truck does not have when it comes to parking.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:40 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Most of the OH turnpike rest stops have 50 amp electric available for RVs for $20 a night.

http://www.ohioturnpike.org/wp-conte...eneralinfo.pdf

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 11:31 AM   #13
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
In many large cities, especially those who ban overnight parking in store lots, there is a huge need for long and short term RV parking both with and without electricity. I am in San Diego, CA and have called a dozen RV parks which are full with monthly parking spots and up to 100 people on the waiting list to get in. I have been trying to find dry camping where I can stay all winter and there just does not seem to be such a concept here. Somebody could make a ton of money getting into this RV parking business, both for dry camping and spots with at least power poles.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Old 10-14-2016, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
In many large cities, especially those who ban overnight parking in store lots, there is a huge need for long and short term RV parking both with and without electricity. I am in San Diego, CA and have called a dozen RV parks which are full with monthly parking spots and up to 100 people on the waiting list to get in. I have been trying to find dry camping where I can stay all winter and there just does not seem to be such a concept here. Somebody could make a ton of money getting into this RV parking business, both for dry camping and spots with at least power poles.
RV Vagabond
There are many such places within 90 miles of San Diego
https://freecampsites.net/#!San+Dieg...+United+States