Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ultimate Boondocking

If you could afford the ultimate boondocking setup, what would it look like? Would it be a 40 foot DP loaded with solar panels, wind mills and an array of 2 volt batteries that runs your A/C for days on end? How about a satellite phone, satellite TV, portable septic tank, etc?

Might you even combine a separate facility on your lot for additional batteries, sewage, vegetable garden and water well? Where would you build it?

The sky's the limit. Please share your dreams of the most comfortable boondocking setup you could build.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
If I had everything I wanted it wouldn't be boondocking...everything you said and a fridge of COLD beer... D....

Lemon and Tucker the Pups
Dixieray53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #3

I already have one. I have 400 watts of solar that really works and gives me all the power I need (but not for A/C of course). I have 3 - 70 gallon tanks. 1 - 45 gallon fresh water bladder. 1 - 45 gallon blue boy. 2 - 10 gallon LP tanks. Conservative lifestyle I learned in Boy Scouts. NO (NOISY) GENERATOR. A love of peace and quiet and nature. No fires to pollute the air and insult my allergies. A chlorine residual test kit so I can purify any water and know what I am doing. ( Residual needed is .1 to .2 PPM chlorine residual. This is a potable water test kit NOT ONE FOR SWIMMING POOLS.) Being away from others so my dog can safely run free as nature intended. I could go on but you get the idea.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 AM   #4

I love having the ability to boondock year round in any weather 110 to 20 below. I work hard at setting up my 36' Class A to handle this. And I refuse to winterize the water system, I want running hot water, (actually my wife insists on it).

I have had to and are still in the process of adding insulation and heat to water compartments in order to avoid freezing and minimize generator time. A 100 watt bulb in a thermo sensing receptacle uses alot less amperage than a ceramic heater. I also spent the weekend getting rid of the accumulator and moving all water lines into a better insulated compartment.

I have a auto start on my generator so it will sense low battery and start the Gen set to charge them. In summer it senses indoor temp and turns on the Gen for AC only when needed.

I installed LED lights in most indoor fixtures.

If I can teach my wife to potty outside and take a bath in a cold mountain stream then I will have it made. I was considering towing a 5,000 gallon water trailer. That would last her about a weeks worth of showers LOL!

To me boondocking means being able to stay without hookups for a long weekend without giving up any of my creature comforts. I have the electrical worked out so water conservation is the main problem.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Something like this Earth Roamer or UniMog comes pretty close.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:32 AM   #6

My solution, as a full time boon-docker is travel in a 35 footer with 1200 watts of solar panels.

The reason for the seemly overkill on solar is to allow me to have a full charge in the batteries prior to noon each day. Once the charge controller indicates it's going into acceptance stage, I shift either the reefer, or hot water to electric supplied by the sun. I frequently heat water first which takes an hour to hour and a half, then shift over to the fridge. No generator is needed.

I carry three 7 gallon LP tanks so when two are empty, I have them filled sometime in the next two or three weeks (or the next day, just to have something to do).
To conserve LP even more I turn off the fridge when I go to bed and put two bottles of frozen water in there and the freezing action was thanks to the sun. The temp in the non-freezing portion, in the morning is around 40 degrees.

I carry a 55 gallon barrel, laying in its side in my small pickup to get water when needed. Transfer to the RV tank is simplified by installing a bilge pump through an access hole cut in the top portion of the poly tank and out the small bung hole with a water bib on the outside. All I have to do is attach a hose and flip a switch to transfer the water.

I carry a 32 gallon blue boy that fits fine in the front area were the spare tire used to sit.

Ed
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
Something like this Earth Roamer or UniMog comes pretty close.
I have to agree.....either one of these will work for me.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Boondocking to me means going places that are remote, difficult to get to. Our grasshopper design teardrop will go anywhere (variable height suspension) our Subaru will. I can pump water from a stream or lake and make it potable, solar panels, Eberspacher heater...
Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

ED,
You are slowly killing your batteries! You are not letting them fully charge. Your batteries are not charged when the controler moves from bulk to acceptance. It needs to stay in acceptance until it moves into float. Then your batteries should be fully charged.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralper View Post
ED,
You are slowly killing your batteries! You are not letting them fully charge. Your batteries are not charged when the controler moves from bulk to acceptance. It needs to stay in acceptance until it moves into float. Then your batteries should be fully charged.

My batts are held at 29.6 for two hours. I shift from propane to electric fridge when my controller (dual blue sky's) starts blinking indicating it's near final bulk. I have enuf solar to use up to around 30 amps, or/and can heat water or cool the fridge and maintain the batts at the same time!

My batteries last 8 to 10 years before starting to degrade.

Ed
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My idea is close to what we already have
100 plus acres of private land a nice trout stream full of trout for dinner, no human caused noise and a nice heated place for the rig in the winter
Solar power, backup generators, hydro power and loads of wildlife
Boats, Motor cycles, 4 wheel jeeps and other toys
To each their own
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
My solution, as a full time boon-docker is travel in a 35 footer with 1200 watts of solar panels.

The reason for the seemly overkill on solar is to allow me to have a full charge in the batteries prior to noon each day. Once the charge controller indicates it's going into acceptance stage, I shift either the reefer, or hot water to electric supplied by the sun. I frequently heat water first which takes an hour to hour and a half, then shift over to the fridge. No generator is needed.

I carry three 7 gallon LP tanks so when two are empty, I have them filled sometime in the next two or three weeks (or the next day, just to have something to do).
To conserve LP even more I turn off the fridge when I go to bed and put two bottles of frozen water in there and the freezing action was thanks to the sun. The temp in the non-freezing portion, in the morning is around 40 degrees.

I carry a 55 gallon barrel, laying in its side in my small pickup to get water when needed. Transfer to the RV tank is simplified by installing a bilge pump through an access hole cut in the top portion of the poly tank and out the small bung hole with a water bib on the outside. All I have to do is attach a hose and flip a switch to transfer the water.

I carry a 32 gallon blue boy that fits fine in the front area were the spare tire used to sit.

Ed

Why is it knowbody uses a small 12volt water pump to fill there tank from a stream and use it for showering and dishes. Northern tool sells one for $50 that takes a garden hose and pumps 300gph. Only uses 5-10 amps and could fill a 50gal tank in 15 minutes. Then all you need is a 5 gal jug for drinking and cooking. I know people are skiddish about drinking from a stream now days....but I'm not.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #13

Invest in an inexpensive ultra violet light drinking purifier. Make your stream water safe in seconds and cost not a factor.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #14

Ultimate boondocking to me means first and foremost having a rig that can go and get into other places normal RVs cannot!
Although I do not have one I think a heavy-duty 4x4 pickup with a slide-in camper would be the cat’s PJs! Not a huge slide in, which might be top heavy, but one that could provide most creature comforts for just one or two folks. The truck needs to be set up for serious off roading

Check out this interesting site where lots of folks use roof top tents! They have lots of good info to share with us so keep an eye on it.

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30