Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2016, 02:57 AM   #1

Urban Boondocking Generator Question

Thank you for checking my post. I have searched for this particular answer but could not find it.

In this theoretical situation you were camped at a Walmart and it was around 75 degrees at night, would you keep your generator on all night? I have read all about the code of ethics regarding Walmart, Truck Stop and rest area parking. But, are there situations like this where everyone breaks the rules, if only slightly?

I feel as though this would be an obvious answer. However, I have never been in this situation personally had someone ask me about it. They will be traveling through Texas with a new to them rig.

Chris
Chris Travels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2016, 03:03 AM   #2

I have parked overnight in Walmart, away from everyone and kept the generator running all night, nobody around to here it running. Truck stops and rest areas are quite noisy anyway so I also run the generator when needed.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:44 AM   #3

Same here. I park on the edge of the lot and try to aim the exhaust away from others.

Who wrote the code of ethics ?
It wasn't Walmart or truck stops.

I specifically emailed Walmart about generators, jacks and slides and they responded with the standard letter that RVers are welcome to overnight, when allowed by local ordnance.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #4

For us, if we needed to use the generator for a/c, it would be more financially beneficial to stay at a campground. I do understand the convenience of stopping at a Wal-Mart for an overnight and we have done that but not when it is so hot. You may be able to run the generator and a/c for a couple of hours to cool the inside and then turn on your overhead fans. Do not think anyone really cares if you use your generator in a parking lot unless it is another RV parked close to you.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Travels View Post
They will be traveling through Texas with a new to them rig.

Chris
Anyone else traveling through Texas will also be doing whatever they can to stay cool. Run the generator and be polite, meaning try to distance yourself from others. Simple. I wouldn't overthink it.

86scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The low last night at my house near Dallas was 79 degrees..... Use common sense and be polite to your neighbors in the parking lot.... and stay cool

Bill
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:38 AM   #7

Hate to say it but there are no "rules" or "code of ethics" out there.
People are going to do what they are going to do. It's just like life. Some people are considerate of others and some are not.
Walmart does not have rules saying you can stay but only if you don't run the genny, or don't put your slides and awnings out.
We like to believe we self-police. Some people will and some people won't.
I am one that will do everything I can not to run the genny.
If someone parks near and decides to run theirs and mine is off, well, I may be headed somewhere else. I'm not into confrontation just want to enjoy what time I have here on this planet.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
For us, if we needed to use the generator for a/c, it would be more financially beneficial to stay at a campground. I do understand the convenience of stopping at a Wal-Mart for an overnight and we have done that but not when it is so hot. You may be able to run the generator and a/c for a couple of hours to cool the inside and then turn on your overhead fans. Do not think anyone really cares if you use your generator in a parking lot unless it is another RV parked close to you.
Depending on the fuel your generator uses, it might cost you 25 dollars to tun your generator all night and that is a high estimate figuring a 10 hour stop. My 10K would probably cost less. CGs usually cost more than that.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
Hate to say it but there are no "rules" or "code of ethics" out there.
People are going to do what they are going to do. It's just like life. Some people are considerate of others and some are not.
Walmart does not have rules saying you can stay but only if you don't run the genny, or don't put your slides and awnings out.
We like to believe we self-police. Some people will and some people won't.
I am one that will do everything I can not to run the genny.
If someone parks near and decides to run theirs and mine is off, well, I may be headed somewhere else. I'm not into confrontation just want to enjoy what time I have here on this planet.
Where is the "like" button when I need it?
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking, generator