Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

Using a cheap generator to charge batteries?

Sometimes when camping without power we need to recharge the house batteries. Instead of running the lp 6000 watt onboard generator to power our Progressive Dynamics 45 amp converter/charger I was considering getting a tiny portable gas generator. Harbor Freight has a little two stroke 700 watt generator but I was wondering if I should be concerned with the quality of the power coming from it. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	generator.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	153258  
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2017, 01:53 PM   #2

Typically the major problems with cheap units like that is noise and longevity.

Edited: As the others have stated make sure it meets your amperage needs.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:02 PM   #3

That little generator runs good and quiet, the problem that I had was it was only good for about 6-7 amps. My charger/inverter needs at least 10 amps to charge the batteries. I have the Magnum MS2812 Charger.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:08 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I have a little 800 watt 2 stroke generator that I originally got when we had an 8 ft. camper. Looks much like that one. It works great as long as it's not overloaded, and is about the same at making noise as my buddy's Honda 1000 watt'r. We were at a gathering for a 3 day weekend camp-out dry camping and I had it along. I lent it to some people that didn't have anything and they were super happy to have it. Just have to be sure it gets mixed gas! I paid $100.00 for it too! If you are using a 45 amp charger, it should be no problem. (14 volts X 45 amps = 630 watts)
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #5

Original single stage 45 amp converter from 1994?

Money might be better spent on a better charger that will charge the batteries faster and hence run the generator less.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Here's a pic of my little old 2 stroke genset.. Takes up very little room and is only 20 pounds. Only draw back is I have to have a jerry can of mixed gas to run it. I don't usually take it along, but if I'm going out dry camping with others that may not have a genset, I'll bring it along just in case someone needs it. We do lots of dry camping also.
Attached Images

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-27-2017, 03:20 PM   #7

Tim,

The converter/charger is not the original from 1994. We installed a Progressive Dynamics 9245, 4 stage converter/charger.
Fugitive861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Boy 2 stokes are quiet, NOT. I have had my 7500 diesel running standing next to it and over 200' away the Harbor Freight one and it was over running the diesels sound. Go to a pawn shop or watch Craigslist for a Honda 1000, it IS quiet and will run all day on a gallon of gas.

LEN
Old 02-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #9

A 2 stroke engine fires every stroke, twice as often as a 4 stroke. That's 3600 pops per minute out the sheet metal muffler.
Chainsaw, weed whacker loud.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Boy 2 stokes are quiet, NOT. I have had my 7500 diesel running standing next to it and over 200' away the Harbor Freight one and it was over running the diesels sound. Go to a pawn shop or watch Craigslist for a Honda 1000, it IS quiet and will run all day on a gallon of gas.

LEN
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the noise level. My buddy had a Honda 1000 and it was every bit as loud as my little 2 stroke. Maybe not at idle, but as soon as it kicked up under any load, it was noisy. As far as gas use, it may have been a little better, but absolutely not a deal breaker. For $75.00 ($100.00 CAD) new is was the winner !
Old 02-27-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

Is your buddies Honda an inverter generator ? If it is, the muffler is broke.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:09 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Is your buddies Honda an inverter generator ? If it is, the muffler is broke.
Inverter and brand new.

Tags
batteries, generator