Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #141

Yes_but, when your life or your loved ones are at stake, what is a few dollars?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #142

I have to give you a little history that led up to an incident I had in July of 1982. it is a bit long but maybe someone can learn from my life’s experiences.

In 1974 my wife worked as a receptionist for a doctor’s clinic in downtown Little Rock, Arkansas. The doctor owned a parking lot next to his clinic. Daily parking fees were collected and deposited every afternoon along with any payments taken in by the clinic. Around 5:00 PM one afternoon two scumbags burst through the door firing their handguns into the ceiling. My wife ran for cover into the X-ray room and hid.

Unfortunately one of the drug crazed scum bags found her. He pulled her out of her hiding spot by here hair and started beating her senseless with his handgun. He then pulled her by her hair back to the clinic waiting area where his co-scumbag had taken everyone else.

This guy put my wife’s head between his legs and started demanding money. A coworker tried to show the robbers a bank deposit as they had already deposited the day’s receipts in the bank. Her efforts were met with a shot to the shoulder from his gun. The only saving grace was the gun was a 22 caliber.

Enraged with the fact there was no money this creep started beating my wife in the head with his handgun every time he did not get the response he wanted. Finally they took everyone’s personal belongs and thus took my wife’s watch, wedding ring and purse.

As a parting gesture, with my wife’s head still held between his legs, he pulled the hammer back on his gun and placed it on the back of her head. Thank God for some reason the guy with him said “Cool it man, let’s go!” He dropped her to the floor and they ran out the door. It is hard to believe the guy that saved my wife’s life was one of the robbers.

My wife and co-worker physically recovered from their injuries but they NEVER recovered emotionally!!

The police showed up after this was over. No one was there to protect or save them.

The police did find and arrest the one who beat my wife and shot the co-worker. Two of the people in the clinic (X-ray technician and Physical Therapist) identified this person in a lineup. My wife and the co-worker were not able to. I guess after you are shot or beat senseless it might be hard to remember what someone looks like.

After the guy was arrested his friends and family members were able to get our phone number and address through our wonderful legal system. We started getting harassed. That is when I purchased a Taurus 38 caliber handgun. I still have the gun to this day.

At the trial the defense presented a phone bill that supposedly placed the defendant at his residence. I guess no one else can use a phone where he lives. They also emphasized that two out of the four could not identify the defindent. In disbelief I watched this guy walk out scot free (not guilty). The jury was polled. One person was holding out on a guilty charge. She could not find him guilty because two people (my wife and co-worker) could not identify him. It was getting late so all the other jurors voted not guilty so they could go home! What a travesty! For Gods sake if you are ever on a jury, please do your job.

Two months later this (not guilty) guy shot and killed a clerk at a 7-11. He was convicted of murder and I hope is still rotting in prison today. As you see the jury not doing their job cost a man his life.

I wanted to give you this story because it changed my life and my viewpoint on protecting oneself and/or love ones for many years. For a long time I carried that 38 with me. I don’t anymore. It does stay in my home. Maybe age and wisdom has something to do with that.

On the Fourth of July weekend in 1982 I had that handgun with me on a scuba diving trip with my friend Richard. The lake we were on has a lot of islands and we were planning on camping out on one of the islands. We had a good day of diving and managed to spear enough fish for dinner. We were looking of a camping spot in the late afternoon. There were a lot of people on the lake so it was difficult to find a decent spot. We finally found a not so good spot on a small wooded island that was about 200 yards long and 60 or 70 yards wide. There was already a camp site down the shore about 100 yards away but no one was there when we pulled in. The spot we had was not ideal so we were going to cook our dinner on large boulders on shore and sleep in the boat.

While we were setting up our area for cooking a guy came up in a ski boat with what appeared to be his wife and children. He pulled into the camp site below us. As they were getting out the boat we said hi. Richard said “I hope you don’t mind some company!” This guy said nothing and glared back at us. About ten minutes later he got back in his ski boat and started going around the island throwing big wakes onto the shore. At that point Richard and I figured this guy must be a few bricks shy a full load. He pulled back into his camp site and glared at us again. We did not say a word to him. We shrugged it off and went about our business.

Richard was on the boulders getting an old white gas Colman stove ready to fry our fish. He was steadily pumping up the gas tank. I was in about chest deep water with a sponge washing some dirt and scum off the side of the boat. For some reason I looked up. This guy was standing directly behind my friend with a 45 automatic handgun pointed at the back of his head. The end of the gun barrel was about two feet from the back of Richard’s head. Richard was still pumping away on the stove. I did not know if he even knew this guy was behind him. The guy had gone into the woods and heavy brush from his camp site and circled around so he could approach us from our blind side.

My 38 was in the boat and there was no way I could get to it. My boat was 21 feet long and set a good four feet out of the water. I figured the best thing to do was just keep washing away as if I did not see him. I did not want to get into confrontation and was not going to say anything unless he spoke first. He never said a word to us! He turned and went back into the woods. After he was gone I said “Hey Dick!”, and he said “Yea, I know!”

Needless to say we got the crap out of there about as fast as we could. The nearest marina was about 20 miles away. We got there about 8:00PM and called the Sherriff. They said the lake was under the jurisdiction of the Corps of Engineers so we called them. They said unless the guy shot at us they were too busy. There was some guy on another island shooting at people with a shotgun.

This is one of those IF things. If I had been in my boat there is no doubt there would have been guns drawn on both sides and someone would probably be dead. This moron had a woman and children not 100 yards away from us. I wondered later if I would have had to guts knowing that what I beleived was his wife and children were feet away from us. I guess God watched out for everyone that day.

Like other people have said. Don’t pull a gun unless you plan to use it!

Old 02-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #143
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for sharing those stories. There's a world of wisdom contained in them... earned the hard way.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Thanks for sharing those stories. There's a world of wisdom contained in them... earned the hard way.

Rick
YUP - while it's true that a gun that's unloaded, or not right at hand when really needed, is not of much value, I still prefer to have one around as a POSSIBLE option, rather than NO option at all...
Old 02-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #145

As the old saying goes, "When seconds count, a cop is only minutes away." They can not be everywhere.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary - K7GLD View Post
YUP - while it's true that a gun that's unloaded, or not right at hand when really needed, is not of much value, I still prefer to have one around as a POSSIBLE option, rather than NO option at all...
Yup back at ya Gary... while I've chosen not to carry a gun at all times on my person, I still keep 'em nearby. I'll lose a quick draw contest but in a situation where I have 30 seconds.....

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 02-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #147

Some men use a gun, some a knife, others use a big rock ... I use a whip

One of my favorite Bill Murray SNL skits ... for some reason this thread brought back that memory from many years ago.

Bill Murray As "The Whip Master" (SNL) - Video @ Clipstr
Old 02-28-2011, 08:31 AM   #148

Because of this thread and a few other considerations I took a CCL class this weekend. 15 people 9 men and 6 women in the class. The women overall out shot the men in the range portion of the class. I qualified 100% with 45 revolver and 45 Auto so I am qualified to carry any pistol.
I highly recommend this class to anyone who travels with weapons on board. It is good training and information and it will give you the option (in most states) of being armed in those situations where you are uncomfortable.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #149

Conditional CCW?

Could you clarify/educate us on this statement, please, and mention which State the Class was in?

I qualified 100% with 45 revolver and 45 Auto so I am qualified to carry any pistol.

I'm not familiar with 'conditions' relative to Concealed Carrying any legal Weapon, and I'd like to learn something. Did you mean your legally qualified now to carry a .45 Auto, or that you yourself now feel qualified to carry one?
Old 03-01-2011, 11:43 AM   #150

He can legally carry a hand gun concealed, in his state or any state that recognizes the permit from his state.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:19 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer Guy View Post
Could you clarify/educate us on this statement, please, and mention which State the Class was in?

I qualified 100% with 45 revolver and 45 Auto so I am qualified to carry any pistol.

I'm not familiar with 'conditions' relative to Concealed Carrying any legal Weapon, and I'd like to learn something. Did you mean your legally qualified now to carry a .45 Auto, or that you yourself now feel qualified to carry one?
I qualified with both a 45 Revolver and a 45 Auto. I shot 100% which means out of 25 rounds with each weapon I had zero misses. Upon taking 16 hours of training which includes the range qualification I am now certified to carry concealed on my body any size or type of handgun made. From 45 down to .22 cal. As to the last part of your question I now feel more qualified and recommend the class to any gun owner.
By the way I have the certification but still have to apply for the liscense, this includes an FBI fingerprint background check and health record check.

This was in New Mexico which is an open carry State. You are able to carry a weapon in the open without a CCL. But you should know the restrictions if you plan on doing this.

In the case of carrying in a Motorhome you should know which States honor your Liscense and the laws of any state you will be traveling to.

BTW I have survived 54 years without running around with a loaded pistol stuck in my pants and don't really feel the need to do so now. But I am a pistol owner and feel that with ownership comes some responsibility such as knowing the law and knowing how to properly operate your weapon. With this liscense if I feel the need or am uncomfortable in any situation I may encounter on the road, I have the option of legally sticking a gun in my pocket to protect myself and family.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #152

Would a shotgun serve as good protection in a rv? Or becUse of the long barrel would that be difficult to use if needed.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #153

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
Would a shotgun serve as good protection in a rv? Or becUse of the long barrel would that be difficult to use if needed.
I have pondered this question. I say "yes" to good protection if it is one of the shorter pump shot guns, without the normal "butt". But "No" if it's a normal long shot gun... too long to swing around in tight places.

A friend wants to give me one of the short shot guns with only a pistol grip, no butt, for the motorhome. I was pondering the use of bean bag, or rubber shot loads for that type of use. First shot a bean bag , second shot bird shot , third shot 00 buckshot , or something like that. However, I have not yet checked to see if one can purchase the non-lethal loads.
Old 03-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #154

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
with the taurus judge revolver, you can fire almost any .410 shotgun load made as well as .45 long colt ammo. i use #6 shot for snake protection while hiking and riding bicycles and federal 000 4 pellet buckshot for the vertical kind of snake. my revolver has 5ea. 3'' cylinders designed for 2.5'' shotgun ammo and can be loaded in any combination of shot, buckshot, and .45 ammo.

Here Comes the Judge! Taurus .45/410 Revolver

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Closed Thread