Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 AM   #169

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
By definition a shotgun is a smooth-bore barrel, which is why shotgun slugs have "rifling" on them. The Taurus International Manufacturing Inc has a rifled barrel designed to maximize both shells.
the federal 4 pellet 000 buckshot designed for the judge has plastic shot cups to keep the shot away from the barrel rifling. i shoot 2.5'' .410 shells. they have enough recoil for me and too much for my dw. i imagine the recoil of the 3'' shells shot in the judge manufactured for them would be fierce.
at 7 yards my 3'' barrel judge patterns 4''-5'' and the shot cup often sticks in the target.
i can shoot .410 rifled slugs in my judge but .45 ammo has as much or more energy and is much more accurate.
i just hide it locked up and unloaded in california...

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #170

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am very impressed with the Judge, just waiting to see if Federal will produce the personal defense ammunition in 3".
Speaking with a Taurus sales rep. he said they are having a hard time keeping up with demand as popularity increases.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:10 PM   #171

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I am very impressed with the Judge, just waiting to see if Federal will produce the personal defense ammunition in 3".
Speaking with a Taurus sales rep. he said they are having a hard time keeping up with demand as popularity increases.

wally world has 'em.
walmart has the federal 4 pellet 000 buck "handgun load" 2.5'' for about $13 for 20 and the 3'' for about $15.
walmart does not stock .45lc ammo. i am trying to get them to.
i have the titanium 2.5'' cylinder, 3'' barrel judge and there is a LOT of recoil with the 2.5'' federal load. too much recoil for my dw. the gun is light enough to carry in a shoulder holster or on my belt. i had the steel judge for a year and it was way too heavy for me to carry. i never fired it so that i got a good trade-in price on my ultra-lite. the lite weighs 10.5 oz less than the steel gun.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
Old 03-08-2011, 04:29 PM   #172

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. I had not seen the personal defense load in 3". Was not even aware there was one in production. I have the all steel, a little heavier but less recoil. DW can handle it quite well but the she has been shooting for years. Bass Pro or Cabelas should have .45LC.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:46 AM   #173

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Thanks. I had not seen the personal defense load in 3". Was not even aware there was one in production. I have the all steel, a little heavier but less recoil. DW can handle it quite well but the she has been shooting for years. Bass Pro or Cabelas should have .45LC.
i get hornady 225 gr hollow point 45lc from bi-mart for defense loads. these have some recoil but i don't shoot them much.
i use 165 and 200 gr from midway for target practice. my dw likes the 165 gr. rounds.
i took the 2 day front sight (pahrump nevada) handgun course in sept and shot over 200 rounds of 165 gr, 5 of the hornady. they wouldn't let me use .410 ammo.
i took another 1 day course in pahrump, not front sight, to get my nevada ccl license. the gunsmith there polished my cylinders and smoothed out the trigger action for $100. my dw says it is much better for her. i shot some .410 buck there after qualifying with .45lc.
i have crimson trace laser grips on my judge.

Laser Sight For Taurus Judge and Tracker | Crimson Trace Laser Grips
Old 06-04-2011, 04:50 PM   #174

Ford Super Duty Owner
You can buy both the 41 LC & the 410 handgun loads from The Ammo Bank - Buy Ammunition On-Line
Old 06-07-2011, 01:33 AM   #175

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewander View Post
I have read through many responses of how people arm themselves with all sorts of creative protection devices, be it guns, sprays, bats or whatever. However I wonder how many people have actually had to put to use their weaponry. To defend oneself against a bear is one thing but to have to use it against people is a whole other situation. I would be most interested in hearing about how many people have had to enlist the use of their weaponry against aggressive intruders.
Since most uses of a firearm are never reported it's hard to say how many. BUT I have as have many others just had to show two "people" that I was armed and prepared to defend myself.
Happened at a truck "rest area" in Wyoming. I had the generator running and had just gotten off the cell phone with my wife (signal went away) when I noticed someone in my front window. He tried the door handle, it was locked (I ALWAYS have doors locked). I opened the small passenger window, in halting English with a (Spanish accent) he asked me how far it was to the border. Since it was only my second time in Wyoming I told him I'd get a map and look. About that time I noticed that their white pickup was blocking me in and there was a second person in it digging under the seat for an unknown object (gun, screwdriver, club?). That alarmed me so I grabbed my .45 off the floor and holstered it in full view of the windshield. I immediately turned and went for the 12 GA shotgun in the bedroom. By the time I got back they were GONE!! If need be I would have started the main engine and pushed their truck out of the way. 1050 ft lbs torque multiplied by the rear axle ratio and first gear should move them!! Anyway, I drove another 100 miles or so to a nice safe Wal*Mart even though I'd already driven some 600-700 miles that day!
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #176

Are we allowed to carry in State & National Parks or do the weapons have to be locked up in the RV?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:34 PM   #177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
9 out of 10 people who look strictly at statistics have a 90% chance of becoming one.

I don't have a concealed carry liscense, A concealed gun does you no good. I like mine out in the open where I can use it if I have to.

And improper storage of a weapon does not cause death. Improper knowledge and use of a weapon is the problem. Teach your wife and kids to respect and operate a weapon.

Sure keep your gun secured with a trigger lock, locked in a safe, and unloaded. That way when someone breakes into your home or camper, or threatens your wife or children you can yell "HALT" while I open the safe take off the trigger lock and load my gun. You might as well keep a rock handy.

The leading cause of accidents with a weapon is someone thinking it is unloaded. My family knows our weapons are loaded even if they aren't.

OK maybe I am being overdramatic but It burns me when someone wants to use stupid statistics to justify taking away my guns.

If you really want a statistic look at the one where there is more crime in a city with strict gun laws compared to one without.
As a Chicago Police Officer I welcome you to look at the stats here. The only armed people here are the police and the gang bangers and dope dealers. We are down over 3,000 P.O.'s, and the general citizenry is starting to learn that when they call for us, we are quite a few minutes away...and that doesn't bode well for the unarmed man.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 PM   #178

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemma112 View Post
As a Chicago Police Officer I welcome you to look at the stats here. The only armed people here are the police and the gang bangers and dope dealers. We are down over 3,000 P.O.'s, and the general citizenry is starting to learn that when they call for us, we are quite a few minutes away...and that doesn't bode well for the unarmed man.
THANK YOU ! I really don't care what the law says when it comes to protecting me or my family. Any weapon that I have is ready to use. Trigger locks or unloaded, turns your weapon into art. Having said that, I still feel the best protection is a can of wasp spray. You would be less likely to hesitate in using it than with a gun. Hesitating will get you killed.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 PM   #179

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Are we allowed to carry in State & National Parks or do the weapons have to be locked up in the RV?
that is a loaded question. i will give it a shot.
you did not ask about persons with a concealed carry license as opposed to those without. some states recognize other states concealed carry licenses, others do not. leo's are altogether another story.
as an example, oregon does not recognize any other states concealed carry license at the present time. even with a concealed carry license, it is presently legal to carry a handgun in some oregon state parks for defensive purposes. some parks are posted ''no firearms''.
generally, if you have a concealed carry license, for national parks, you must abide by the state laws of the state that the park is in. that law was just changed (liberalized) recently.
so, depending on the state you are in you can carry a handgun in a national park. it doesn't necessarily need to be unloaded or locked up just because you are in a national park.
in all states long guns (shotguns and rifles) must be unloaded when inside a vehicle. state laws differ on the definition of unloaded.
the laws differ among the states about when an rv ceases to be a vehicle and becomes your home. in some states it is a simple as where your ignition key is. if it is in the ignition, the rv is a vehicle.
the firearms laws for state parks differ among the states.
the nra website is a good source of information. imho, these websites strive to be accurate.
googling gun laws will find a lot of info, some not accurate.

NRA-ILA ::

CCW Concealed Carry Laws by State

Handgunlaw.us

gunlaws.com - State by State Firearms Laws
Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #180

My husband would love to get me a Judge since he said he's done buying jewerly.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #181

Quote:
It is always a good idea to check locally as different park systems have different rules. For example, in many National Parks, before the law changed, they had exclusive jurisdiction. Even as a leo, I could not technically carry in Yosemite. But they could not search my rig on a suspicion. In many cases the law is a tool that is seldom used against law abiding people. But now, in National Parks, much of this has changed.

In California State Parks it is a violation to have a loaded gun. Checking further into the regulation, loaded is defined as having a round in any portion of the mechanism. In other words, even if your magazine is out of your weapon, if rounds are in the magazine, you are in violation of the law. Most people have a hard time understanding what kind of park they are in and some parks have borders with other parks that fall under different jurisdictions. So if you are concerned about this, it is a good idea to simply ask.

This thread continues to be chauk full of good and bad advice but is overall very enlightening. Fortunately, most readers will have little trouble sorting all of this out using some common sense. The recent post by the Illonois leo makes a very good point. As the economy continues to sink and governments continue to cut back, help will be longer in coming. Having the proper protection and adequate training will go a long way in helping all of us better protect the lives our our loved ones.

This will only get worse as the infrastructure continues to degrade in the USA. All one has to do is look at the roads in this country and compare them against what they once were. With police and fire departments having to do major layoffs in order to fund tax breaks for the wealthy this is not about to turn around, even as the economy improves.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #182

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Maris View Post
, fire departments having to do major layoffs in order to fund tax breaks for the wealthy this is not about to turn around, even as the economy improves.
WHAT ?, Tax breaks for the wealthy is good. Their taxes go toward funding the folks that pissed away their money on new cars and credit cards they couldn't afford. This is America not Russia, don't be unhappy because someone didn't know how to handle money. Don't begrudge people for being successful. It's just like guns. Your not taking my guns and I'm damn sure your not getting my hard earned money. I saved all of my life to have what I now have and I don't need some communist sniffing at MY wallet.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Closed Thread