Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #225

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I legally carry. Have never needed it. Also never used my fire extinguisher but keep it handy.

I whole hardily agree with other posters if you are not proficient with a gun, then don't use it until you are. Target practice doesn't count.
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Can you please explain further? Are you speaking of a gun safety class or combat training?

IMHO, as I do not mean to offend, I am going to have to disagree with "target shooting doesn't count". From my personal experience, I went to Nam as a Security Policeman in late '67 with little more that non-moving target practice on a fifty yard range for training. We went through two major offensives. Most action was 10 to 25 yards at the perimeter. Into todays enviroment most self defence encounters are 7 to 21 feet with perp running and/or firing straight at you. At 21 feet you need to be reacting. Yes, practice, practice and practice some more, but you will find learning to draw, hit center mass of your "target" with a double tap as quickly as you can will be your most effective self defense training that you might run into. If you are then interested in "combat type" trainging and moving targets, do that as a follow on training. And I do repeat, this is IMHO.

Stan, Shirley & 2 Schnauzers (Sandy & Sassy)
RV: 2014 Itasca Sunstar 35F
USAF, Retired, Life Member: VSPA, DVA, VVA, VFW
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #226

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Can you please explain further? Are you speaking of a gun safety class or combat training?

Gun safety is first, 2nd (which also relates to safety) is learning to fire, reload, move for cover. Not combat training but tactical training. Like that offered by Thunder Ranch. A weapon is a tool, like any tool you need to be profieicent in it's use.

Controlling your emotions and adrenalin when threatened become important. Using your firearm from memory is paramount. When faced with fight or flight decisions sub conscious memory needs to take over, this is where repetition of training comes in.

Similar to watching a video on what to do when a front tire blows out. You watch the video and say to yourself makes sense. When that tire blows out 2 years from now how much of the video will you remember and will you first panic instinct be to lock up the brakes? THis training will also hopefully prevent you from panicking and fire wildly, where your errant round(s) my strike innocent bystanders. Are there others in your home, if so you would learn that high powered rounds will penetrate drywall. So rather than a .45 ACP your weapon of choice would probably be a shotgun.

You should also determine which caliber is right for you. For me it's the largest caliber I can fire accurately with out lengthy recovery from recoil. Another consideration is, will I actually carry a pistol this big, this heavy, can I conceal it, etc... The smaller gun you carry is more effective than the heavy gun you left at home.

At what distance do you make the decision to apply lethal force? What distance is your safety zone. What are your options for ending the confrontation at a safe distance before the need for lethal force is required. This could possibly be the most important lesson of all.

An example I like to refer to is a case of self defense at a SUNCO gas station in Dayton, OH earlier this year. Two lessons are learned here.

A man with a weapon and a permit to carry it is filling his tank late at night on his way home. Two guys approach him and try to engage him in conversation form a distance of 25 or 30 feet. He is uncomfortable, puts is hand up and in a authoritative voice tells them he is not interested and not to come any closer (this conversation is repeated a few times). He is attempting to keep them outside his comfort zone. Bad guys will often try to engage you in conversation to throw you off guard so they can get close enough to carry out their plan. In this case they intended to assault and rob him. Unfortunately for the victim he had removed his pistol from his belt and left it in the car (might have been to big, to heavy to carry), as they got closer he went to retrieve his pistol form the console of his car, before he was he could grab the pistol and reagin his balance one guy was on him. He managed to grab the pistol as he was being dragged from his car. He was severely beaten before he was able to get it together and shoot one of the bad guys in the stomach.
Carry your gun
Don't let the bad guy inside your safety zone

This is not to say that with out this type of training you will not prevail in a conflict. Many have, just like many drivers have successfully with out training handled a blow. Success does favor the prepared. Once your stove is engulfed in flames is probably not the time to be reading the instructions on the fire extinguisher.

Legal training is also important i.e. when is lethal force authorized, what to do after you shoot, what not to say until you lawyer is present, etc... For instance did you know lethal force is probably not allowed for a situation you created? Some states will view warning shots as an indication you were not truly in fear for your life and therefore lethal force may have not been appropriate.

This is a broad stroke at answering your question. So many variables hard to answer thoroughly in this format.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
Old 09-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #227
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I've used my primary weapon many times. When I get an uneasy feeling I get away from the situation. That weapon_ common sense and awareness of surroundings.
Good point.. And that is the best weapon (your mind) I have had to use mine a time or two as well.

OF course I'm 6'3 by over 300 pounds.. I can (And do often) lift over 200 pounds (250 to be specific, my wife's mobility scooter) and people see me do it.

This, can discourage many an assailant. They just don't want to mess with me.

What they don't know is I can lift that 250 pound scooter and set it on the cargo tray it rides on just fine, (or lift it off to the ground) but it's going to be 10 mintues before I can do it again... (I am no good in a fight past the first couple of swings) But hey.... As John "Hannable" Smith said (TV character, leader of the "A-Team") It's all in the preception.

Home is where I park it!
Closed Thread