Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Boondocking
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:04 PM   #57

I figured I'd go back to bootcamp and retire when I was done. Next to impossible but maybe...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #58

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
I figured I'd go back to bootcamp and retire when I was done. Next to impossible but maybe...
Good Idea, where else are you going to get $76. per month

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:13 AM   #59

When I was a hired killer for Uncle Sam, the army taught me that a rifle or a shotgun was a formidable weapon without pulling the trigger. That was in hand to hand training.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM   #60

The Gun Is Civilization

"The Gun Is Civilization" by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)
Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force.

Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it. In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some. When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force.
You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender. There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a [armed] mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat—it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly. Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury.
This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter.
It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and easily employable. When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone.
The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.
It removes force from the equation... And that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act..
By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Maj. L. Caudill states pretty much what I believe.

Additionally, I am no longer physically able to protect myself or my wife against someone that cannot be reasoned with:

"...The gun is the only personal weapon that puts ... a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger...
...The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defende
r..."

This is why I am armed when I feel the necessity. Just one more of the insurance policies that we all carry.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post

Additionally, I am no longer physically able to protect myself or my wife against someone that cannot be reasoned with:

"...The gun is the only personal weapon that puts ... a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger...
...The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender..."

This is why I am armed when I feel the necessity. Just one more of the insurance policies that we all carry.
A friend of mine sent that to me and I believe it needs to be shared. More and more people in Local governments are starting to believe this way also.

No longer RVing. Happy Trails to you.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo View Post

...The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defende
r..."

YUP - I'm getting way too old to wrestle with the 21 year-old who wants to steal all our goodies and assault or kill us in the process - those I can introduce to Mr. Mossberg 500...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 PM   #64

S&W 380. Very small and hides well...
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Colt 45 1911 ..... Stainless with a large hole in the end with a big flash......

An old saying.. I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.....

Burglar beware!!!!

Dave
2004 Monaco Signature
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 PM   #66

I figure for the moments "situational awareness" fails me I have a (Mr.) Mossberg 500. Seemed that during my past years in law enforcement nothing received respect like racking a 12 gauge! But when I was in the USMC chambering a round in an M-1 was also an attention getter! Ah, but wander off in those memories again.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM   #67
a k

Newmar Owners Club
The Judge.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:38 PM   #68

Newmar Owners Club
Colt .38 snub-nose Detective Special for the specially designed fanny pack, and Colt 1911 .45 ACP (Navy version) when big and scary is necessary...
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #69

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I've used my primary weapon many times. When I get an uneasy feeling I get away from the situation. That weapon_ common sense and awareness of surroundings.

I was goign to say I use my primary weapon every day.

It is my MIND... But I think you said it better.

True story (I should know, I was there after all) Back in my school days 3 school yard bullies teamed up on me and tried to head butt me.. one in front, one on each side and a brick wall to my rear. One at a time they came charging in, head lowered, like a mad bull, only to have me step out of the way.

Finally they got a bright idea.. If they all 3 came in at once I'd not be able to step forward as he'd get me, and if I stepped to either side they'd get me

Their plan was to cause pain.. And in truth they were 300% successful in doing so because when they all 3 charged that last time... I took the diagonal. They missed me completly.

Now, recall the brick wall to my rear?

They did too.. 1/2 step later.

And so ended the fight.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #70

Years ago when we still had our pop-up I was working for the USDA and staying in a state park by myself. It was well protected but my husbanded worried of course so I loaded up the .22 pistol everynight, put a tarp strap on the door knob and for extra protection placed the porta potty full of pee in front of the door. Element of surprise.